Confirmed with Link: Devils buy out Volchenkov

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's because he only played 12 minutes a game + pk.

He did other years too, and looked bad at times. I thought he had a pretty decent season this past year.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Blocking shots is not a symptom of poor defending.

-signed by a defenseman who takes pride in blocking shots :)

Blocking a shot means you were where you should be and that you got balls. I love it, except the one slapper I took in the foot, I still get pains two years later from that lol.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Going out of the way (ie leaving a man) to block a shot that 99% of the time will be saved is silly and leads to rebound goals.

Volch didn't fit in NJ. I won't be surprised if he improves tremendous in a new system.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Going out of the way (ie leaving a man) to block a shot that 99% of the time will be saved is silly and leads to rebound goals.

Volch didn't fit in NJ. I won't be surprised if he improves tremendous in a new system.

It's very situational, to block or not to block.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009

Volch would do worse in a faster system (basically every other team).

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Clowe is a pretty good player. It's just that he's injured a lot. And we can't compliance him anyway, might as well continue with his contract unless he declines sharply.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Volch would do worse in a faster system (basically every other team).

He was fine in a fast system in OTT. His foot speed hasn't really declined from those years. Always been slow. But I think he will do much better in a system that doesn't require him to always cover the blue line in the offensive zone.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I agree that shot blocking takes balls.

But the more you have to do it, the more shot attempts you are allowing. I don't consider that to be Devils hockey.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If Clowe gets another concussion he's probably done anyway, he'll end up on LTIR like Savard in Boston or Pronger in Philadelphia. I hope for his sake he can stay healthy, i like him far more as a player than Clarkson, he's really pretty decent.

His health is obviously a major question mark, i just hope he knows when to call it quits and not permanently damage his health, he surely must already be thinking about his long term prognosis given the amount of concussions he's sustained already.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If we can just put a guy on LTIR, why whine about his contract?

When Clowe plays, he's pretty good.

MountainGoat

Clowe is a pretty good player. It's just that he's injured a lot. And we can't compliance him anyway, might as well continue with his contract unless he declines sharply.
it's already started. he hasn't been the same skater since his knee injury in 08 and now he can barely skate at all! and how many concussions has he had?

for the um-teenth time- you cannot CBO players signed after the Lockout.

a regular buyout then, if he isn't any better this season than it should happen

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
There really is no crow to eat. Lou himself has come out and basically said in TG's blog that had the cap not come in at 69 instead of 71 he would not have made the move. That in itself proves the critics on here right. While the right move was made he really had no intention of making it until he was forced to. The issues about him running this team are still there. He actually just confirmed it for us.

Maybe, or maybe (unlike some other GMs) he feels no need to rip a player as he is showing him the door. If keeping Volchenkov was a priority, the $2mm difference in the cap would not be an obstacle.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Going to miss seeing the A-Train hit and block shots. So much respect to this guy for putting himself out in harms way, especially his face (ouch).

MountainGoat

Mogiliny/Rolston/McGillis/Malakhov and now Volchenkov

soon Clowe will join that group

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad