Confirmed with Link: Devils buy out Volchenkov

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Part of me feels bad for Volchenkov, I like him as a person. A great competitor, just not that good anymore. But then I think about that he'll be getting paid a pretty penny by the Devils without playing for them, then I don't feel as bad.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Finally the defensive glut is cleared up

slow down there. until this ISNT confirmed as Harrold becoming full time, we shall see

but its amazing news and a big step in the right direction

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Oh thank God.

That means we've got:

Veteran Defensemen Under Contract
Greene
Zidlicky
Salvador
Harrold

(Presumably) NHL-ready Young Defensemen
Merrill
Gelinas
Larsson

Potential NHL call-ups in the AHL
Hrabarenka
Scarlett
Severson
Helgeson
Burlon (assuming he is re-signed)

Hopefully Harrold will not be a member of the starting night roster and Fayne will, since it's almost certain that Merrill, Gelinas, and Larsson will be on the roster (Merrill because he earned it, Larsson because he has to be, and Gelinas because he's waiver-eligible). Fayne would really strengthen and stabilize the D.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
slow down there. until this ISNT confirmed as Harrold becoming full time, we shall see

but its amazing news and a big step in the right direction

I said the glut was cleared I didn't say 'Pete moves' were over. Seven defensemen with Harrold being in theory the 7th is fine with me...unless of course Fayne comes back or we do something goofy like sign Willie Mitchell

lightsout

Jul 27, 2007
I still like Volch as a player, but his contract really hurt him. As a player he is what he has always been, a pure physical stay at home defenseman with no offense and limited skating ability. He is still very useful in that role, just not at that price tag.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
I'm eating crow as well. That second year probably killed any trade chances, but there's still a chance Salvador goes to Buffalo isn't there? How are they going to get to the cap floor?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
While I've been skeptical of Lou and have beat up on him enough, I was never convinced he wouldn't use this buyout. I'm going to the Chinese buffet to celebrate, even though I've already had my cheat day.

Now buyout Salvador and everyone can see bleedred break dance!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Was coming in expecting to see a gif party

2zpjxj7.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This has to be promising on the Fayne front, no?

I don't think so. We had 8 defensemen signed for next year before buying out Volchenkov.

I wouldn't rule it out though, but hopefully we can upgrade the offense.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not sure Lou/PDB would ever want to get rid of both Volch AND Sal. They love their gritty veterans and as the C, I doubt Sal is moved as well. It would be shocking to see our lineup without at least one grenade handler back there.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I remember a lot of Devils fans saying hear a couple years ago that coaching systems really restricted Volchenkov from playing the game like he did in Ottawa. Do you still think that is true?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad