Confirmed with Link: Devils buy out Volchenkov

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I'm gonna go with, you are both right and wrong :nod:

Taken from capgeek:

Teams receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" — injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. This is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the CBA.

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Clowe is never going to be bought out. He'll retire or end up on LTIR but the Devils will never buy that contract out.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Yes but it pushes up the Cap Ceiling which essentially means it doesn't hurt the teams cap space.

Being wholly dependent on pushing above the cap ceiling. That's the only exception to which relief is given. And you cannot have one prospective contract exceed Clowe's cap hit ($4.85) in that regard. You can have multiple players combine for his cap amount but one alone cannot exceed it. I wish it was easy to think that it would just vanish but it doesn't.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Being wholly dependent on pushing above the cap ceiling. That's the only exception to which relief is given. And you cannot have one prospective contract exceed Clowe's cap hit in that regard. I wish it was easy to think that it would just vanish but it doesn't.

Ok, I did not know about the contract excess, but if you aren't planning on pushing above the cap ceiling then why would we even care his cap hit is even there?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Ok, I did not know about the contract excess, but if you aren't planning on pushing above the cap ceiling then why would we even care his cap hit is even there?

It just complicates things unnecessarily in that they have to push the cap in order to maximize any savings. He should have never been signed, given his health history.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It just complicates things unnecessarily in that they have to push the cap in order to maximize any savings.

That's such a non-issue. If we're gonna be $5 million under the cap without Clowe's contract anyway then who cares if Clowe's contract counts on the cap or not. If we sign another $1 million deal and get to $4 million under the cap without Clowe's contract than obviously LTIR will kick in.

He comes off LTIR after every season and is technically on the CAP until the next season begins again.

You can go over the cap in the summer though, by 10%, or at least you could before the last CBA.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
That's such a non-issue. If we're gonna be $5 million under the cap without Clowe's contract anyway then who cares if Clowe's contract counts on the cap or not, the cap's a paper number. If we're going to be $4 million under the cap without Clowe's contract than obviously it'll go onto LTIR.

You can go over the cap in the summer though, by 10%, or at least you could before the last CBA.

I don't think it is the high, but you can def going over it up to a certain amount. I believe PHI was having issues because of it two years ago though.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
after actually getting injured playing. Salvador can't just be designated LTIR because Lou or HF wants him to go away.

I know what the official rules say, but what happened with Malakhov and Mogilny in 05-06 was very suspicious.

If Lou really wants it to happen, and there's some type of injury to justify it, it will.

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap.

The salary cap is only relevant once you actually hit the cap ceiling, so who cares that LTIR only kicks in once you hit the ceiling?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I know what the official rules say, but what happened with Malakhov and Mogilny in 05-06 was very suspicious.

If Lou really wants it to happen, and there's some type of injury to justify it, it will.

After getting stiff penalties for "violating the spirit" of the CBA with cap circumvention on Kovy's contract and having just gotten the last part of that punishment rescinded to a degree, I don't think Lou will be toying with any abuse of the LTIR rules.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
After getting stiff penalties for "violating the spirit" of the CBA with cap circumvention on Kovy's contract and having just gotten the last part of that punishment rescinded to a degree, I don't think Lou will be toying with any abuse of the LTIR rules.

Lou always pushes the envelope. Remember the beginning of last season, where Elias was IR'd so we didn't have to send anyone through waivers despite Elias stating he was good to play?

I don't think Lou is phased.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

I don't think it is the high, but you can def going over it up to a certain amount. I believe PHI was having issues because of it two years ago though.

From the CBA:
(ii) Upper Limit.

(B) Nevertheless, in order to ensure that Clubs may have sufficient
time and flexibility to plan their rosters during the off-season, the
Upper Limit shall be temporarily raised by ten (10) percent to
permit Clubs additional flexibility with their Averaged Club
Salaries during the period from July 1 until and including the last
day of Training Camp
. On the day following the last day of
Training Camp, the Upper Limit shall again be lowered to the level
as calculated in Section 50.5(b), and all Clubs must once again be
in compliance with the Upper Limit from the day following the last
day of Training Camp until and including June 30.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart

NJDevs26 is right, you can go 10% over the cap during the offseason. But the cap is also calculated different during the offseason (all players on one way contract count against it even if they did only play in the AHL all season, all players on two way contracts get prorated based on days spent on the NHL roster during the previous season, all offers to RFA's, all offer sheets). And this is indeed causing trouble to the Flyers during the offseason as they will have less cap flexibilty than other teams.

GhostofKenKlee

Pronger is a Flyer every season and deemed unfit day one and the team puts him on the LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00