Confirmed with Link: Devils buy out Volchenkov

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Come on now.

Ask yourself, take out the names and faces; Is a top 10 pick worth a goalie...I'm sorry but there is not a more generic position in the NHL today. Sure there are a couple that are above the pack, but the pack is not all different from each other.

A proven player is always worth more than a pick in my opinion, any pick. But you gottta tough sell trying to tell me Cory was proven, even today he is not proven. And he plays a position that has tons of adequate options available.

All that makes questioning the pick vs. player in this instance a legitimate one to me.

Correct. Goaltenders are like running backs in the NFL. You can find them in odd places.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
You actually didn't think that the Rolston contract was horrible the moment it was announced? To a lot of fans credit , that deal was panned the moment it was announced on the ESPN boards. Here's one for you to answer, name the good moves he's made over the last few years. You have to exclude Kovy because based on everyone on here that was VBK who wanted him. I'll give you Jags but after that you will be hard pressed to find a good move. Maybe Zids for the 12 run. The bad clearly out weighs the good. Remember when he traded a 1st to get rid of malakov?

No, I don't think you are remembering correctly. I think at the time Rolston's contract was right in line with what he was expected to get - I said 'That is what you pay for making a splash on the UFA market'. If Winky does anything, it's a good signing.

I don't have to exclude anything. Kovy was a brilliant coup and Lou made the deal.

How about Schneider?
How about resigning Elias, Henrique, Greene, etc?
How about dodging the Clarkson bullet?
Brunner could have been a good move if he doesn't get hurt.
How about our whole 4th line that helped carry us to the cup final?
How about the defensemen we drafted?
Zids for pucks, Jagr,
At the time... how about Salvador for Cam Janssen?

geez - other than not being able to move the state of Minnesota to NJ, what do you have that isn't Monday morning QBing?

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
I don't have a problem with Matteau as a player. I have more of a problem with the bizarre reasoning behind the move. The entire NHL community was befuddled why they didn't the penalty at #29 and simply get it over it. They were fortunate enough that Blitzer and Harris wield enough juice that a pick was eventually returned.

Believe what you want but Lou said at the Fan Club meeting last month that if they gave up a pick it was them admitting they did something wrong, which they didn't, and despite what the league and everyone else is saying, he knew they'd be getting something back years ago.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Come on now.

Ask yourself, take out the names and faces; Is a top 10 pick worth a goalie...I'm sorry but there is not a more generic position in the NHL today. Sure there are a couple that are above the pack, but the pack is not at all different from each other.

A proven player is always worth more than a pick in my opinion, any pick. But you gottta tough sell trying to tell me Cory was proven, even today he is not proven. And he plays a position that has tons of adequate options available.

All that makes questioning the pick vs. player in this instance a legitimate one to me.

I think in general - you are correct. I don't think you should draft for need and that should equate to NOT dealing a high pick for a goalie.

I think in those particular circumstances, where it is Max Domi, Bo Horvat or ? I think bringing in a guy who has the potential to be a franchise cornerstone - I think you make the move.

Yes - goalies are a commodity market, but you can ask the Flyers if CORNERSTONE goales grow on trees.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
This thread is about Volch and his buy out.

Plain and simple. Any talk about anything else is going to be deleted, warned, infracted, etc...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Believe what you want but Lou said at the Fan Club meeting last month that if they gave up a pick it was them admitting they did something wrong, which they didn't, and despite what the league and everyone else is saying, he knew they'd be getting something back years ago.

I haven't heard that before...Interesting.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Come on now.

Ask yourself, take out the names and faces; Is a top 10 pick worth a goalie...I'm sorry but there is not a more generic position in the NHL today. Sure there are a couple that are above the pack, but the pack is not at all different from each other.

Goalie is the most important position in hockey.

5on5
NJD allowed 1556 SA for 134 goals. A 91.39 SV%
LAK allowed 1589 SA for 103 goals. A 93.52 SV%

Every .010 SV% PTS are worth 15 goals for this team. And this is a team that needs all the goals it can get..

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Congrats. You are the only person I know that has ever defended the Rolston contract. The man was 35 years old and was finished and he gave him a 5 year deal at 5mil per. Enough said. Time to move on. It's in the past. You would be wise to not bring it up and try and defend it.

You actually didn't think that the Rolston contract was horrible the moment it was announced? To a lot of fans credit , that deal was panned the moment it was announced on the ESPN boards. Here's one for you to answer, name the good moves he's made over the last few years. You have to exclude Kovy because based on everyone on here that was VBK who wanted him. I'll give you Jags but after that you will be hard pressed to find a good move. Maybe Zids for the 12 run. The bad clearly out weighs the good. Remember when he traded a 1st to get rid of malakov?

someone on a message board somewhere didn't like a deal the moment it was announced? ESPN boards no less?

No way. Proof - I need proof. :laugh:

15 teams were in on Rolston. It was a bidding war for a guy that posted 30+ goals in each of his previous 3 seasons at Minnesota (where the only guy scoring more goals was Gaborik and the next highest goal scorer was HALF as many as Rolston). If Lou didn't get him just as many people would have poo-poo'd him not spending money to make the team better. It's always a no-win regardless of the move or lack thereof.

But sure, play the hindsight game and know Rolston was going to get a high ankle sprain shortly after arriving and take 2 seasons to recover fully from that. Why not - it fits your point perfectly.

At any rate - this is supposed to be about Volch, not other posters or even Rolston.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This. Clowe will get another concussion and miss most of the season anyway. I wish NJ had one more buyout so they could get rid of Clowe, but I doubt Lou would use it on someone who just signed a year ago and has 4 years remaining.

Clowe can't be CBO anyways. he was signed after the lockout.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
No, I don't think you are remembering correctly. I think at the time Rolston's contract was right in line with what he was expected to get - I said 'That is what you pay for making a splash on the UFA market'. If Winky does anything, it's a good signing.

I don't have to exclude anything. Kovy was a brilliant coup and Lou made the deal. So you're saying it was Lou that made the deal? ok.

How about Schneider? gave up a top ten pick for a backup goalie that has yet to play a full season and has won 1 playoff game and has two years left on a deal and will split time for half that time. Thus leaving mgt with a still unproven goalie that they need to sign.
How about resigning Elias, Henrique, Greene, etc? Elias was a layup. He was never going anywhere. As for Henrique. He actually bought out multiple RFA years when the kid had not proven himself. He should have never signed him to that deal at the time. Henrique had done nothing to prove he was ever worth buying out what I think was maybe 4 years of RFA. Absurd.
How about dodging the Clarkson bullet? He didn't doge any bullet. He knew Clarkson was going to look for max money from the start of the season. he blew that one by not moving him at the deadline. A blind man could see Clarkie wasn't coming back. Again, should have been dealt.
Brunner could have been a good move if he doesn't get hurt. This one is not worth commenting on. The guy had zero interest on the FA market. Somehow Lou got stuck with him. I wouldn't tout this as a plus at all.
How about our whole 4th line that helped carry us to the cup final? If anyone gets credit/ or criticism for the 4th line it's Deboer.
How about the defensemen we drafted? Please name one that has played a FULL season in the NHL.
Zids for pucks, Jagr, I gave you Zids anf Jags
At the time... how about Salvador for Cam Janssen? Wasn't there a pick involved in this deal. Not sure.

geez - other than not being able to move the state of Minnesota to NJ, what do you have that isn't Monday morning QBing?

Then again, you're right. Things are peachy.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Very good news. I like Volch better than Salvador but I guess Lou didn't want to waive his captain. Happy this happened today.

You also have to consider their contracts. Sal has one year left with $3.1m, Volch had 2 years left with a total of $8.5m. Volch is the better of the two but not so much better to justify the difference in money. Now if Lou finds a way (Pronger/LTIR him or even a regular buyout) to get rid of Sal as well, i will be very happy.

NC107*

This. Clowe will get another concussion and miss most of the season anyway. I wish NJ had one more buyout so they could get rid of Clowe, but I doubt Lou would use it on someone who just signed a year ago and has 4 years remaining.

If they were to buy out Clowe his cap would still count, that would hurt. I think LTIR takes him off the books but I am not sure. It sure was a reactionary contract by Lou and was another bad one. If he was healthy it still would be a bad contract IMO.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I am pumped that vol has beenbought out. Everyone and there mother knew that lou had to do something to arrange more room on the back end. Why does lou have to play the games with the fans all the time...frustrates me as a fan. The buy-out is not the final answer. Lou has some hard choices to make, make more room or leave as is. Personally I would leave as is just in case the young demn have problems with there second full years.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Greene - Fayne (hopefully)
Merrill - Zidlicky
Gelinas - Larsson/Salvo

Greene - Merrill
Salvo - Zids
Larsson - Gelinas

If no Fayne

Harrold/Helgeson as extras?

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
His contract would still stay on the cap I believe. The flyers still have Pronger on their cap.

I'm saying I wish NJ had another compliance buyout that could be used on Clowe. That contract was instantly terrible.

He couldn't use the compliance buyout on Clowe because his contract was signed after the lockout. It would be a regular buyout that would count toward the cap

Yes, I realize that. I'm just wishing for a way to make him go away. LTIR could still get rid of him, though. Just have to wait for him to get another concussion and convince him to quietly retire like Pronger did.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Guess Lou had no takers for him. Thank goodness he wised up. Now let's dump Harrold.

I actually wouldn't mind harrold as a forward on this team in the fourth line role if need be, he has decent nhl forward speed which means he is one of our fastest forwards.....just saying if we can't get rid of him, I would rather see him at fourth line forward than bernier at this point

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Thank God.

Now upgrade the forward group and I'll begin to get excited again.

we have so much dead weight under contract at forward position, no forward prospects to get excited about, slow veterens, I just don't see us upgrading the team much this season. I think they should just focus on getting Schneider signed long term, developing the young defenseman and see if Jacobson, mattuea boucher and co have any potential.

not sure they should even over pay for any

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I am pumped that vol has beenbought out. Everyone and there mother knew that lou had to do something to arrange more room on the back end. Why does lou have to play the games with the fans all the time...frustrates me as a fan. The buy-out is not the final answer. Lou has some hard choices to make, make more room or leave as is. Personally I would leave as is just in case the young demn have problems with there second full years.

he did it because he wanted to know the cap limit before he made his decision. he doesn't do it to piss off the fans.

his methods won't make him a popular one on HF...but after reading some posts on here, we can count our blessings for that. time was on his side, he used it, and he improved the team by doing so.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad