GDT: Devils @ Blues - 8 P.M. - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I picked a nerve (I’m assuming) in my back after sleeping wrong once.

I could barely get out of bed or walk the first day. 2 or 3 days later it was like it never happened.

It was the moment I learned what “back pain” was for people with real back issues.
That’s how I got them. I woke up feeling like it one day both times I had them. I think the second time it progressively got worse after a few days. I remember turning my head when backing out while driving and it hard to move my neck.

The first time I think it was really intense from day one. I woke up and it hurt badly.

I still mild ones from time to time, though they may not really be pinched nerves, but just a cramp. I think sometimes once or even twice a year I’ll have those instances and start getting freaked out about the two times I had them for 5-7 weeks, but they’ll feel better after just a couple of days and the pain also isn’t as intense as those two times that were long term.

I’m still not sure if those are even pinched nerves, but the two long term ones I had in 2014-2015 definitely were.

I think I may have gotten them from exercising/walking too much. I think I was walking 8 or 10 miles a day and had lost about 70 pounds in 6 months, which eventually turned into about 100 pounds in a year.

I think that was causing me to pinch them, but I’m not completely sure.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is where the goaltending becomes critical though. Better the goaltending, the better we can weather these injuries.

Though hopefully it's only a couple weeks we are missing them.

I’m sure both Vitek and Schmid can play with more consistency but I’m not sure they are wired to consistently play above their talent level. Maybe Schmid.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I'm not up to speed on opioid rules in the NHL - are they allowed to do those and play?

Good point. For me, it was a one-and-done thing.

I met with the doctor one day for an evaluation, had the epidural shot two weeks later, and had a follow up appointment a few weeks after that to check on progress (It worked) and that was that. If there is opiates in it 1) I wouldn't have known. Doctor said it will work and I said, sign me up. 2) It involved me being on an X-Ray table and a needle descending from the ceiling (I think) on a robot arm into my spine, which made me far less willing to abuse it.

It's not like getting prescribed a bottle of Oxycontin and going home unmonitored, it's a legitimate medical treatment, so I'd assume (Well, hope) that kind of thing is okay with them. Don't hear too often about guys being sidelined with slipped discs, so maybe it's already something they do?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
baseball does a lot of things wrong but they are descriptive as hell with their injuries. “Aaron Judge strained his left oblique muscle in the 3rd inning. he will have an x-ray tonight to determine severity and confirm no broken bones. he will miss approximately 6 days, 4 hours and 19 minutes.”

meanwhile a hockey player could lose a whole leg and the team would be like “Out with a lower body injury. Will not return to the game” as they’re rapidly putting his leg in the ambulance.
Well in fairness in Baseball other teams can’t really target an injury like in hockey.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Palat-McLeod-Bratt
Toffoli-Tierney-Meier
Holtz-Haula-Mercer
Willman-Lazar-Bastian

gilly-and-keeves-eat-the-gun.gif

Time to see that depth pay off then.

At least Jack didn't get any leg injury, but better to deal with it properly than have a nagging problem rest of the career.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We may have used up all our luck over St. Louis after that rando 3rd period win from two years ago (one of Gillies few wins lol) and what had been a three game winning streak over them between 2020 and 2022. That came in between a very long period of not beating them, which has since resumed.

We really have a piss poor record against some of these Central division teams. We’re also horrible against Winnipeg and Nashville. Maybe with Hynes gone we’ll be able to finally beat Nashville for the first time in years.

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I picked a nerve (I’m assuming) in my back after sleeping wrong once.

I could barely get out of bed or walk the first day. 2 or 3 days later it was like it never happened.

It was the moment I learned what “back pain” was for people with real back issues.

I've had pinched nerve couple times. I'll tell you, it's quite painful.

Reactions: Bleedred

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I still can't believe they threw Jack right back out there to get immediately crumpled again. I bet that second hit did some damage.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Nerve pain is no joke. I get pinched nerves in my neck a few times a year, usually it's just terrible pain for a day or two. But in Summer 2021 I had a really bad one that actual affected my ability to walk, I was waddling like a penguin for about 8 days. I had trouble sleeping because I physically couldn't lay down, as soon as my neck went the slightest bit horizontal I would get the worst pain I've felt in my life. The pain actually made me nauseous.

The only thing that took the pain away was sitting completely upright in an office chair. My mom gave me a few of her leftover lortabs from when she got her rotator cuff done and it didn't even take the edge off. She has neuropathy in her neck and she says it's worse than kidney stones.

Suffice to say I really hope that's not the case for Jack because that can be absolutely debilitating and have huge long-term effects.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
baseball does a lot of things wrong but they are descriptive as hell with their injuries. “Aaron Judge strained his left oblique muscle in the 3rd inning. he will have an x-ray tonight to determine severity and confirm no broken bones. he will miss approximately 6 days, 4 hours and 19 minutes.”

meanwhile a hockey player could lose a whole leg and the team would be like “Out with a lower body injury. Will not return to the game” as they’re rapidly putting his leg in the ambulance.
To be fair it’s not like you can physically target injuries 95% of the time in baseball the way you can in hockey.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Was a big fan of these guys. First 2 albums.

Last night was the first time we saw Timo Meier this year - I know he's a slow starter but it has awfully slow. Between him and Mercer being visible, if those two can play to the level expected of them, this team should be able to weather this.
Mentioned it during the game, but thought last night was a strong argument for Timo getting his own line.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Looks like the lines finished up

Toffoli-Mercer-Meier
Palat-Mcleod-Bratt
Lazar-Haula-Holtz
Bratt (doubleshift)-Tierney-Bastian

How'd Mercer with Toffoli/Meier look in everyone's estimation? I missed a lot of the third, even if Mercer doesn't "deserve" a promotion if Meier can unlock him that would be great.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Is this finally gonna get Lindy to do the obvious thing and put Meier on his own line with Mercer?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is this finally gonna get Lindy to do the obvious thing and put Meier on his own line with Mercer?
I hope meier on his own line is a silver lining to these injuries.

Don’t know if it will help mercer though

Looks like the lines finished up

Toffoli-Mercer-Meier
Palat-Mcleod-Bratt
Lazar-Haula-Holtz
Bratt (doubleshift)-Tierney-Bastian

How'd Mercer with Toffoli/Meier look in everyone's estimation? I missed a lot of the third, even if Mercer doesn't "deserve" a promotion if Meier can unlock him that would be great.
Meier looked very good I thought. No change on mercer that i could see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad