GDT: Devils @ Blues - 8 P.M. - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Timo gets a lot of sh*t here but he's been playing well and finding his groove.

He's doing decently but he is not as dominant as i thought he would be. Same as last season stretch. I'm not saying he is bad. It's just he is not looking dominating. And now we need it for sure.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
baseball does a lot of things wrong but they are descriptive as hell with their injuries. “Aaron Judge strained his left oblique muscle in the 3rd inning. he will have an x-ray tonight to determine severity and confirm no broken bones. he will miss approximately 6 days, 4 hours and 19 minutes.”

meanwhile a hockey player could lose a whole leg and the team would be like “Out with a lower body injury. Will not return to the game” as they’re rapidly putting his leg in the ambulance.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If it is minor, I still wouldn't be surprised if he misses more games then maybe he would if it was April.

I just don't see them wanting to rush him back in November when the season isn't in danger or anything.

Maybe depends on how far off they feel Nico is.

I wouldn't be against sitting Jack for the road trip no matter what.

Just call Dowling up and tough out the next two, hope one of Jack or Nico can go against the Caps

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palat-McLeod-Bratt
Toffoli-Tierney-Meier
Holtz-Haula-Mercer
Willman-Lazar-Bastian

gilly-and-keeves-eat-the-gun.gif

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
To go back to the team itself...I don't see a ton of evidence of a disciplined system at work. I see a lot of high end talent that finds a way to make things work. Big difference.

The Bruins have Pasta, Marchand, and McAvoy, the rest of the lineup is a bunch of depth pieces. But they are rock solid disciplined and hard as shit on the puck in their own end. It doesn't even matter what star player winds up out of the lineup. McAvoy missing for a couple of games...absolutely nothing changes about how they look in front of their goalie.

The Devils are the complete opposite. They will win the Cup when they learn to balance their natural talent with disciplined structured play.

The longer it goes on this season, the less hope I have of them being legit contenders this year. And it also makes it more much more difficult to overcome injury to star players.

Lindy isn't the guy. I want to be proven wrong, but...I don't see it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holy shit, pinched nerves are some of the worst pain I’ve ever felt. You’d like to think a young professional athlete can take them better than an average person, but when I’ve had them I’ve even understood how the best conditioned athlete probably couldn’t play with one.

I had two in like a 6 month span when I lost a lot of weight back in 2014-2015. They each lasted about 6 weeks. I think the second one lasted 6-7 weeks and the first one only 4-5 weeks, but the first one hurt much more. The pain lingered longer during the second one.

It especially hurt to get out of bed, I could only sleep on one side. And it felt worse to get up after sitting down. Many times I found myself staying up on my feet, rather than taking a seat and trying to get back up.

I had something similar in 2020, but it didn’t last nearly as long. I had an older relative staying with me who came to visit from Jersey. We stopped at a couple stores and I remember telling him I’m walking across the parking lot/plaza to the other store rather than driving there, because it hurt too much to get up. And it was much easier to just walk over there while I was already up.

Pinched nerves suck.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Not a doctor but I can’t imagine it’s an arm/shoulder. When Jack was down he’s was resting on both forearms. Don’t think he would have put weight on a side that was hurting.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I had one in my neck after bumping my head on the ceiling painting - pain so bad I couldn't bend over or move my head for days. It started slowly with just feeling tight then in about 30 minutes pain shooting from base of skull down shoulder and back. The way he moved reminded me of when I did that.

Had something similar. Just the way his head bounced back reminded me of that, which is why I keep saying neck

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do think it’s better for a professional athlete to have a pinched nerve than a regular person, because they’re getting the best possible treatment for it.

There’s really nothing they can do for the average person for one. They just tell you to take a bunch of ibuprofen for pain and to take it easy.

Sometimes it felt better if I would rub the area and try and massage it. The massage therapists can likely ease the pain of it.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
baseball does a lot of things wrong but they are descriptive as hell with their injuries. “Aaron Judge strained his left oblique muscle in the 3rd inning. he will have an x-ray tonight to determine severity and confirm no broken bones. he will miss approximately 6 days, 4 hours and 19 minutes.”

meanwhile a hockey player could lose a whole leg and the team would be like “Out with a lower body injury. Will not return to the game” as they’re rapidly putting his leg in the ambulance.
Baseball played also are less likely to have opponents targeting the injured places on their body.

The betting industry seems to be what forces injury transparency and I guess there still isn’t enough money bet on hockey to matter much; compared to football, baseball, and basketball.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As long as Jack and Nico can return before thr team drops out of the playoff race they should be ok. Hopefully they are both back sooner rather than later.

Should be OK unless it's really long term. Canes aren't right yet either and the Rags are also pretty banged up with Fox out long term and Shesterkin supposedly a bit banged up too.

They just called up Domingue to back up Quick

Rest of the Metro isn't worth be worried about long term.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do think it’s better for a professional athlete to have a pinched nerve than a regular person, because they’re getting the best possible treatment for it.

There’s really nothing they can do for the average person for one. They just tell you to take a bunch of ibuprofen for pain and to take it easy.

Sometimes it felt better if I would rub the area and try and massage it. The massage therapists can likely ease the pain of it.

If we start hearing about pain management then I think it's 100% a pinched nerve in his neck

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I picked a nerve (I’m assuming) in my back after sleeping wrong once.

I could barely get out of bed or walk the first day. 2 or 3 days later it was like it never happened.

It was the moment I learned what “back pain” was for people with real back issues.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Baseball played also are less likely to have opponents targeting the injured places on their body.

The betting industry seems to be what forces injury transparency and I guess there still isn’t enough money bet on hockey to matter much; compared to football, baseball, and basketball.
But I thought that's what guys like Ryan Reaves were for...:sarcasm:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Should be OK unless it's really long term. Canes aren't right yet either and the Rags are also pretty banged up with Fox out long term and Shesterkin supposedly a bit banged up too.

They just called up Domingue to back up Quick

There is enough talent that once they adjust they can win some games. With a decent bounce or two they could have won tonight. At some point Mercer will get it going and that will help. They can tweak the style of play to be a bit more structured and defensive. They can at least tread water if they don’t give up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There is enough talent that once they adjust they can win some games. With a decent bounce or two they could have won tonight. At some point Mercer will get it going and that will help. They can tweak the style of play to be a bit more structured and defensive. They can at least tread water if they don’t give up.

This is where the goaltending becomes critical though. Better the goaltending, the better we can weather these injuries.

Though hopefully it's only a couple weeks we are missing them.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Depending on where the nerve is pinched, you can get an epidural and have the pain gone in ten minutes.

I had a disc that was pinching a nerve for months. After PT and everything else didn't fix it, I went to a pain doctor, got the epidural, and walked out an hour later feeling like it never happened.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Depending on where the nerve is pinched, you can get an epidural and have the pain gone in ten minutes.

I had a disc that was pinching a nerve for months. After PT and everything else didn't fix it, I went to a pain doctor, got the epidural, and walked out an hour later feeling like it never happened.
I'm not up to speed on opioid rules in the NHL - are they allowed to do those and play?

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad