Post-Game Talk: Devils beat Isles 2-1 (No Points for you, Isles....or Rangers!)

kiwidevil

I think you guys are being way too hard with how "sloppy" we played. We really shut them down, they had very few good scoring chances and if you read the Isles board they talk of how that was the most invisible they have ever seen Tavares the way we shut him down.

Every team has looked sloppy, we played well in our system and got the job done. Nabakov was the difference between a blow out.

NBC Hockey

Mar 13, 2009
Well, even if we did play sloppy, it's always good news when you're not at your best and you still manage to win. But I still think we played well.

Does anybody have a larger version of the picture of Stevens behind the bench?

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I think you guys are being way too hard with how "sloppy" we played. We really shut them down, they had very few good scoring chances and if you read the Isles board they talk of how that was the most invisible they have ever seen Tavares the way we shut him down.

Every team has looked sloppy, we played well in our system and got the job done. Nabakov was the difference between a blow out.

Exactly. It wasn't the prettiest start, but watching games around the league... I can think of 2 or 3 teams of the now 27 that have played that have looked "good" by any means.

Nobody (except the rookies who have been playing all year) seems to know what to do in front of either net. Losing pucks in scrambles in the offensive zone and blowing coverage completely in front of your own net. It's happening everywhere.

Obviously this can't continue against an 0-2 Flyers team and expect to win. But, a solid coaching staff is on board. They were watching the same game we did and they'll adjust accordingly.

DevilChuk*

6 of those shots were on the PP too.

Yup, truth is.. I wasn't scared of the Islanders at all ES. We completely shut down the Tavares line and they had only a few quality scoring chances ES.

Special teams was the biggest problem from last night IMO. Our PP looked dreadful and while the PK did get better as the game went on, that blown coverage was atrocious.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I know he's your favourite d-men but if you can't say that he's our weakest link, you are either Volchenkov himself or a relative, one or the other.

He's +2 and was absolutely irrelevant and both goals, he plays the most minutes short handed cause he's average at even strength and the PP isn't a option so they have to play him somewhere and none of his shots were threatening.

He's our weakest link, he's also our highest paid d-men and he's eating up a roster spot that can be used on the cornerstone of our franchise, which we drafted 4th overall a couple of years ago.

To allow only 19 shots against is literally shutting down the opposition.

The islanders are a joke. And it's not like Larsson is gonna make us so much better, but you just don't let him rot on the bench for a guy who's average(Volchenkov). Larsson should be in no matter how you slice it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
idjiZVZaCjVyr.gif

saw this gif on r/hockey

That's a beautiful sight to see.

Win the opening game scoring 2 goals only, letting 19 shots go through to Marty.

Biggest problem: Larsson is not playing. Yeah right.

I'm not worried about the offence, everybody is off their timing to start the season. We won't be an offensive powerhouse this year, but we'll score enough to win.

Marty played well, the defence played well, all the kids looked good. We could have done much worse out of the season opener.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The islanders are a joke. And it's not like Larsson is gonna make us so much better, but you just don't let him rot on the bench for a guy who's average(Volchenkov). Larsson should be in no matter how you slice it.

Only a trade could fix that. 2 minutes for too many defence-men on your team :pb:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

I agree with all this, I thought we looked very sharp, people commenting we looked slow and sloppy got me scratching my head.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's a beautiful sight to see.

I'm not worried about the offence, everybody is off their timing to start the season. We won't be an offensive powerhouse this year, but we'll score enough to win.

Marty played well, the defense played well, all the kids looked good. We could have done much worse out of the season opener.

My thinking as well. We don't need to be offensive power houses if the D and Marty can hold down the fort and they looked good in Game 1. Just score enough goals like we did and grind the other teams down with the forcheck. Seeing Clarkson score really boosted by confidence.

Would be such good news that what we saw last year wasn't an aberration, but Clarkson actually developing into a more dangerous offensive player.

Definitely agree that the old HF style of panicking to fast is going on right now. We didn't look any sloppier then basically every other team in the league, but we still played well. Obviously there was going to be rust until the guys get used to playing together again, especially with so many new faces.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, Parise Devils jerseys are being sold at a discount now he's no longer here. Once you take off the name plate and number, it's a $99 dollar jersey one can customize however they want.

Keep the #, but swap the nameplate with Puck Farise?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My thinking as well. We don't need to be offensive power houses if the D and Marty can hold down the fort and they looked good in Game 1. Just score enough goals like we did and grind the other teams down with the forcheck. Seeing Clarkson score really boosted by confidence.

Would be such good news that what we saw last year wasn't an aberration, but Clarkson actually developing into a more dangerous offensive player.

Definitely agree that the old HF style of panicking to fast is going on right now. We didn't look any sloppier then basically every other team in the league, but we still played well. Obviously there was going to be rust until the guys get used to playing together again, especially with so many new faces.

Well in line with the forecheck idea, I just think puck control is important. and it's why I hate the quick line changes that entail dumping the puck in the 3rd period of games that we are ahead. Keep the puck on the other end of the ice. Tough for opponents to score from down yonder.

And Clarkson is going to scrap his way to 20-25 goals on a regular basis. Good instincts, good hustle.

NC107*

We won, I will take a win over a loss any day of the week!

Last edited by a moderator:

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

well im pretty sure scott stevens and debeor know what they are doing. fact remains we also have peter harrold who was pretty damn good for us in the playoffs and also shoots righty. we got three defensman that are mid 30s so larsson will play but volchenkov is a warrior, he blocks shots. ...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
well im pretty sure scott stevens and debeor know what they are doing. fact remains we also have peter harrold who was pretty damn good for us in the playoffs and also shoots righty. we got three defensman that are mid 30s so larsson will play but volchenkov is a warrior, he blocks shots. ...

Who cares if he blocks shots he does nothing else! Harrold in no way should play over Larsson you're delusional if you think that'd be the right move. I think the only reason tally and Volch are playing is to showcase them for a trade lol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Who cares if he blocks shots he does nothing else! Harrold in no way should play over Larsson you're delusional if you think that'd be the right move. I think the only reason tally and Volch are playing is to showcase them for a trade lol

I'm totally cool with Tallinder. Thought he played well upon his return in the playoffs last year, and I thought he played well last night. Good skills, good size.

Volch? Def looks like the weakest D-man we have at the moment. Zero offense, and now getting beat pretty regularly.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

Last year Volchenkov was 3rd in shots behind Fayne and Larsson out of our D (with no pp time). Volchenkov is a solid defender and we would be stupid to just get rid of him.

Volchenkov has the longest and highest paid contract out of the D unit. He is significantly younger than Zidlickey, Tallinder, and Salvador. There is no way in hell the Devils trade him. Tallinder is the only one that is likely to get traded as he is 34 and doesn't have a No Trade Clause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad