Post-Game Talk: Devils beat Isles 2-1 (No Points for you, Isles....or Rangers!)

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Last year Volchenkov was 3rd in shots behind Fayne and Larsson out of our D (with no pp time). Volchenkov is a solid defender and we would be stupid to just get rid of him.

Volchenkov has the longest and highest paid contract out of the D unit. He is significantly younger than Zidlickey, Tallinder, and Salvador. There is no way in hell the Devils trade him. Tallinder is the only one that is likely to get traded as he is 34 and doesn't have a No Trade Clause.

Sometimes I think Volch gets a lot of shots because other teams know his shot isn't very good. Out of all our players, they'd rather allow him to take the shot. He takes a lot of shots but doesn't score a lot of goals.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Sometimes I think Volch gets a lot of shots because other teams know his shot isn't very good. Out of all our players, they'd rather allow him to take the shot. He takes a lot of shots but doesn't score a lot of goals.

haha - well Volch was more productive on score sheet than Fayne last season (5on5). Volch may not have a shot that is going to be any goalie, but it is hard and low enough to get rebounds.

Greene .97 P/60
Zidlicky .68 P/60
Larsson ..62 P/60
Volchenkov .58 P/60
Fayne .53 P/60
Tallinder .44 P/60
Harrold .41 P/60
Salvador .35 P/60

apice3*

Larsson could be scratched to showcase all of the other D-men. Let's be honest, 7 of the D-men on the roster are tradeable. Some more so than others, but any of them can be dealt. Larsson is the only one that can't be, and in reality he currently isn't THAT much better than anyone else yet. So why not sit him for a couple games to start the year, let teams get looks at Tallinder, Volchenkov, etc. and see what we can do from there?

It's a great way to maximize value out of a player without hurting the on ice product. The tricky part for Lou and Deboer is to figure out what time to pull the plug and let Larsson get some ice time.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Larsson could be scratched to showcase all of the other D-men. Let's be honestly, 7 of the D-men on the roster are tradeable. Some more so than others, but any of them can be dealt. Larsson is the only one that can't be, and in reality he currently isn't THAT much better than anyone else yet. So why not sit him for a couple games to start the year, let teams get looks at Tallinder, Volchenkov, etc. and see what we can do from there?

It's a great way to maximize value out of a player without hurting the on ice product. The tricky part for Lou and Deboer is to figure out what time to pull the plug and let Larsson get some ice time.

Thats what I am saying. It would significantly lower a players trade value if they are scratched every game

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Last year Volchenkov was 3rd in shots behind Fayne and Larsson out of our D (with no pp time). Volchenkov is a solid defender and we would be stupid to just get rid of him.

Volchenkov has the longest and highest paid contract out of the D unit. He is significantly younger than Zidlickey, Tallinder, and Salvador. There is no way in hell the Devils trade him. Tallinder is the only one that is likely to get traded as he is 34 and doesn't have a No Trade Clause.

Its not that simple for who to trade. If Tallinder is so bad, and his age is a problem, and his contract is undesirable, why would other teams trade for him? Desirability kind of plays a role in this. If no one wants anything to do with Tallinder, and the Devils need to trade a defenseman, then they have to trade someone else. If Volchenkov is so desirable, he probably brings in the best return which helps the team be as competitive as possible. In the situation the Devils are in, its not as simple as "trade your worst/8th best defenseman."

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
idjiZVZaCjVyr.gif

saw this gif on r/hockey

8 more years of this ... IDK what Lou was thinking
:D:naughty: :laugh::laugh:

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Its not that simple for who to trade. If Tallinder is so bad, and his age is a problem, and his contract is undesirable, why would other teams trade for him? Desirability kind of plays a role in this. If no one wants anything to do with Tallinder, and the Devils need to trade a defenseman, then they have to trade someone else. If Volchenkov is so desirable, he probably brings in the best return which helps the team be as competitive as possible. In the situation the Devils are in, its not as simple as "trade your worst/8th best defenseman."

I am trying to make the point since everyone is saying Volchenkov is horrible, but he isn't any worse the the rest of the Defensive core. He is also much younger than Tallinder and Salvador.

Volchenkov has a NTC which makes it very unlikely he gets trade. Plus I doubt Lou wants to trade him. He is solid defenseman and the same age as Greene. Zidlicky probably leaves this year as a UFA, Salvador retires in 2-3 years, and Tallinder probably gets traded this year to make room for Larsson. I think Lou wants Greene(30) and Volchenkov(30) to be with the team once Salvador retires.

I would be surprised if Tallinder doesn't get traded in the next 3 weeks.

Oroku Saki*

I want to see how he plays with Stevens behind the bench. Scott is the perfect teacher for a player like Volchenkov.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I want to see how he plays with Stevens behind the bench. Scott is the perfect teacher for a player like Volchenkov.

Stevens has been working with the d for years. Volchenkov is what he is. Average positionally, great shot blocker, physically dominant, and about as useful as a poopy favored lollipop offensively. I don't see him changing much.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I am trying to make the point since everyone is saying Volchenkov is horrible, but he isn't any worse the the rest of the Defensive core. He is also much younger than Tallinder and Salvador.

Volchenkov has a NTC which makes it very unlikely he gets trade. Plus I doubt Lou wants to trade him. He is solid defenseman and the same age as Greene. Zidlicky probably leaves this year as a UFA, Salvador retires in 2-3 years, and Tallinder probably gets traded this year to make room for Larsson. I think Lou wants Greene(30) and Volchenkov(30) to be with the team once Salvador retires.

Stop with the "much younger" crap. Yes, he's younger than Tallinder (who turned 34 less than 2 weeks ago), Salvador (turning 37 next month), and Zidlicky (turning 36 next month). Volchenkov himself is turning 31 next month, so trying to paint a 4 year difference between him and Tallinder is disingenuous when its the difference of 37 months. And Volchenkov is still 30. He's not 25. He has mileage on him because of his style and has been an occasional injury concern. I'm not saying this is the equivalent of him being 35+, but lets not act like he's beginning to enter his prime here. On top of that, Zidlicky is on an expiring contract and provides an offensive dynamic the others on this list do not. Salvador was just named the team's captain and they do not desire to move him.

And don't overestimate the no trade clause. It LIMITS where you can trade him. It doesn't mean you can't. If his role is going to be limited here, he won't be happy here and will be willing enough to accept a trade. You're just limited in your potential trade partners. Likely will limit it to contenders, which is where he would likely want to be anyway. Not saying his role WILL be limited, but if they decide he's the odd-man out, his minutes would be scaled back, and they call tell him that. He would be far more open to moving in that case.

End of the day, Lou is going to trade whichever one can get the best return without compromising the overall talent and effectiveness of the defensive unit. With the depth they have, that could be just about anyone in all honesty. There's no clear cut choice in the bunch.

apice3*

Age is irrelevant. You can trade a player that is 18 or 44. it doesn't matter.

The NTC is an overrated argument. Generally if a team asks a player to waive, he's going to waive. I mean, if a team didn't want me personally, I wouldn't want to be there much longer either. Especially if the player is getting traded to another contender. It's one thing to waive to go to Columbus. It's another to waive to go to Detroit, which many of us have speculated.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

I would like to see how all our defenseman play with year 2 of Pete's system. I think Volchenkov pitches in the best of the group and is our strongest defender down low. Overall I am trilled with our defensive group and think we are going to be better 5on5 team this year.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Age is irrelevant. You can trade a player that is 18 or 44. it doesn't matter.

The NTC is an overrated argument. Generally if a team asks a player to waive, he's going to waive. I mean, if a team didn't want me personally, I wouldn't want to be there much longer either. Especially if the player is getting traded to another contender. It's one thing to waive to go to Columbus. It's another to waive to go to Detroit, which many of us have speculated.
Wait, somebody on this board said we should trade for Tatar?

Oroku Saki*

Wouldn't be surprised if Fayne is traded. People want a top-6 winger but then **** on Volchenkov and Tallinder while offering them. It doesn't work both ways.

Oroku Saki*

Stevens has been working with the d for years. Volchenkov is what he is. Average positionally, great shot blocker, physically dominant, and about as useful as a poopy favored lollipop offensively. I don't see him changing much.

He has changed but in a bad way. I feel like the Devils staff was trying to turn him into something he is not. They need to let him play his physical game instead of trying to tame him.

There is a reason why analysts thought he would make $5 mill per year as a FA.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Stop with the "much younger" crap. Yes, he's younger than Tallinder (who turned 34 less than 2 weeks ago), Salvador (turning 37 next month), and Zidlicky (turning 36 next month). Volchenkov himself is turning 31 next month, so trying to paint a 4 year difference between him and Tallinder is disingenuous when its the difference of 37 months. And Volchenkov is still 30. He's not 25. He has mileage on him because of his style and has been an occasional injury concern. I'm not saying this is the equivalent of him being 35+, but lets not act like he's beginning to enter his prime here. On top of that, Zidlicky is on an expiring contract and provides an offensive dynamic the others on this list do not. Salvador was just named the team's captain and they do not desire to move him.

And don't overestimate the no trade clause. It LIMITS where you can trade him. It doesn't mean you can't. If his role is going to be limited here, he won't be happy here and will be willing enough to accept a trade. You're just limited in your potential trade partners. Likely will limit it to contenders, which is where he would likely want to be anyway. Not saying his role WILL be limited, but if they decide he's the odd-man out, his minutes would be scaled back, and they call tell him that. He would be far more open to moving in that case.

End of the day, Lou is going to trade whichever one can get the best return without compromising the overall talent and effectiveness of the defensive unit. With the depth they have, that could be just about anyone in all honesty. There's no clear cut choice in the bunch.

Volchenkov will be a UFA for his age 34 season. He is still in his prime and will be for the entire length of the contract. I doubt Lou trades Volchenkov because of what he brings to the team and the NTC. Volchenkov has 3 young kids. He isn't going to pack his bags because Lou asks him to waive his NTC. There is a reason why a player fights to have a NTC and I see no reason why Lou would want to trade Volchenkov over Tallinder.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Volchenkov will be a UFA for his age 34 season. He is still in his prime and will be for the entire length of the contract. I doubt Lou trades Volchenkov because of what he brings to the team and the NTC. Volchenkov has 3 young kids. He isn't going to pack his bags because Lou asks him to waive his NTC. There is a reason why a player fights to have a NTC and I see no reason why Lou would want to trade Volchenkov over Tallinder.

You ignored half of what I said here. Lou is going to want to make the move thats best for the team's ability to contend, relative to what he can get back for shipping out a player. If Tallinder is more valuable in our lineup than the return for him in a trade is, then he won't be dealt. Its that simple. If other teams don't want Tallinder but will pay out the ass for Volchenkov, then that just may be who Lou tries to trade. If Volchenkov isn't going to have a role on this team and can go to a contender, don't think he's not going to strongly consider waiving it to go. Volchenkov can be a solid player, don't get me wrong. But lets not act like he brings in such a unique skill set that we can never replace. He plays a similar enough game to Salvador to say trading Volchenkov doesn't ruin what our defense can do. Yes, we have more players in a similar mold to Tallinder (Greene, Fayne, Larsson and Harrold can all play very similar styles I'm sure), but its not like Volchenkov is an asset we can't cope without.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
You ignored half of what I said here. Lou is going to want to make the move thats best for the team's ability to contend, relative to what he can get back for shipping out a player. If Tallinder is more valuable in our lineup than the return for him in a trade is, then he won't be dealt. Its that simple. If other teams don't want Tallinder but will pay out the ass for Volchenkov, then that just may be who Lou tries to trade. If Volchenkov isn't going to have a role on this team and can go to a contender, don't think he's not going to strongly consider waiving it to go. Volchenkov can be a solid player, don't get me wrong. But lets not act like he brings in such a unique skill set that we can never replace. He plays a similar enough game to Salvador to say trading Volchenkov doesn't ruin what our defense can do. Yes, we have more players in a similar mold to Tallinder (Greene, Fayne, Larsson and Harrold can all play very similar styles I'm sure), but its not like Volchenkov is an asset we can't cope without.

And you ignored when I said that Tallinder value via trade is the same as Volchenkov in a trade. We aren't going to get significantly more for Volchenkov than what we can get for Tallinder. Tallinder doesn't have a NTC and won't be missed.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
And you ignored when I said that Tallinder value via trade is the same as Volchenkov in a trade. We aren't going to get significantly more for Volchenkov than what we can get for Tallinder. Tallinder doesn't have a NTC and won't be missed.

You're talking up Volchenkov as if he's the best defenseman we've had in the last decade. Now you're going to try to tell me you're claiming he has the same value as Tallinder? You just said Tallinder won't be missed. Well that doesn't sound like you don't think he's that good. Or at least, I guess that means Volchenkov won't be missed either if they're just as good and have the same trade value...

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
You're talking up Volchenkov as if he's the best defenseman we've had in the last decade. Now you're going to try to tell me you're claiming he has the same value as Tallinder? You just said Tallinder won't be missed. Well that doesn't sound like you don't think he's that good. Or at least, I guess that means Volchenkov won't be missed either if they're just as good and have the same trade value...

I always said and thought Volchenkov is as good as the rest of the defenseman. Our team is full of #2/#3 defenseman. Tallinder wont be missed because Larsson is going to take his place and I feel he may be as good as Tallinder right now. I think Volchenkov could be missed if Salvador play declines, but I am not expecting Sal to drop off much this year or next. I feel that Lou doesn't want to get rid of Volch.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If we trade any of our D-men I am expecting a solid top 6 forward in return. We've got some very capable players we could potentially use to get a forward and I just hope we don't get fleeced

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
If we trade any of our D-men I am expecting a solid top 6 forward in return. We've got some very capable players we could potentially use to get a forward and I just hope we don't get fleeced

If we make a trade we're not going to get fleeced, we're the ones with the surplus of assets

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Wouldn't be surprised if Fayne is traded. People want a top-6 winger but then **** on Volchenkov and Tallinder while offering them. It doesn't work both ways.

Mark Fayne is the best bang for his buck on our defense and he's 25. Let me say that again, he's 25. You don't trade the awesome defenseman who's 25 and signed to a great contract. The only defenseman younger then him is Larsson. But hey, lets trade him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad