GDT: Devils at Panthers - West Point - 7:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Well, the wheels fell off the wagon on that one pretty quickly.

The defensemen were a little too cute last season when exiting the zone. It looks like adding some youth/inexperience has exaggerated the problem.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
As soon as I saw the score I knew what the reaction would be here.

Doom and gloom, oh despair we lose the preseason cup :scared:

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Not a pretty game, but yeah, really need to see at least 10 regular season games before making much of an assessment IMO. Lotta vets phoning it in, young guys playing tough positions, goaltender rust, etc.

One thing I will say is that if they're going to stick Speers on the 4th line they ought to just send him back to his junior team. He can definitely hang in the NHL, but don't see the point if he isn't ready to play higher in the lineup.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Helgeson won't even be in the line for a call-up. Why are you hating him so much?
Because he's terrible and he's a lot worse than some of the guy's you've been ''Hating'' on tonight. Not that I really think you're actually hating on them, just by saying something disparaging about their play.
season's over. trade cory for picks.
Kinkaid allowed 0 goals tonight.

He allowed 0 goals in two of his other games that he played half the game and he allowed 2 goals in his one full game.

He is the GOAT! Trade Cory to St Louis and flip him for 1st and Yakupov!

If we're really lucky, we might be able to get that mental choker Jake Allen out of it. By the time we're ready for the playoffs, we can watch him completely sink us when the pressure is on, like he's done two straight years for the Blues.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i think some of you expect way too much out of this team. there is maybe 5 teams with worse defenses than the Devils and the Devils don't have great center depth either. They are a middle of the pack team--these kinds of game are going to happen in the regular season as well.

also it's preseason lol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i think some of you expect way too much out of this team. there is maybe 5 teams with worse defenses than the Devils and the Devils don't have great center depth either. They are a middle of the pack team--these kinds of game are going to happen in the regular season as well.

I'm not sure if there's only 5 teams with worse defense's, I think there might be closer to 10. We had some pretty ****** defenses back in the day too. Like the 05-06 team? McGillis, Malakhov, Matvisuck, holy **** that was BRUTAL. I know the first 2 guys were outta here by Christmas and New Years of that season, but holy **** were they awful. Having all that junk actually made Colin White look amazing.

I'm more worried about the offense than anything, that's been my biggest worry all along. It's better than last year, but it's hard to go from 30th to really good in a year.

I think we can contend for a playoff spot with the 22nd-ish ranked offense, barring we're not allowing a **** ton of shots against per game and Cory plays 65 games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is why I barely pay attention to preseason games.:laugh:

Bingo...but of course it's also easier to get detached when only one game is on TV (and I was busy during that game anyway).

But still it's hard to take anything seriously. There's 82 regular season games and hopefully postseason games, I can't get wrapped up in preseason. Especially so soon after the Mets baseball funeral :P

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

also it's preseason lol

Eh maybe, a lot of it depends on Severson and I'm a little worried he's apparently had a bad camp. At least the Merrill injury gives him a stay of execution to stay in the lineup but he's definitely becoming to this staff what Larsson was to the last staff.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm not sure if there's only 5 teams with worse defense's, I think there might be closer to 10.

I'm more worried about the offense than anything, that's been my biggest worry all along. It's better than last year, but it's hard to go from 30th to really good in a year.

I think we can contend for a playoff spot with the 22nd-ish ranked offense, barring we're not allowing a **** ton of shots against per game and Cory plays 65 games.

maybe as a unit and due to cory/system they might have better GA than other teams but personale wise they are bottom 5. other than Greene it's either unproven players or decent vets. the defenseman impact how well the produce offensively too so you have to take that into account.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Cory had a bad preseason, especially tonight. Or at least by his standards he did. We're normally in a game like tonight when Cory is just playing okay, let alone when he's his normal self. He gave up a couple poor goals tonight, I think there was literally only 2 games last regular season where he allowed more than one bad goal in the same game.

He was equally as bad in the preseason game against the Rangers last season, the one that was aired on TV on NHLN. So I'm not worried about him.

More worried about the offense, whether it's getting shots or finishing chances when we do get the shots. That's still been my biggest question mark. Also if Zacha is demoted in games like he was tonight and Josefson getting moved up. That experiment is becoming insanity, since the result never changes.

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Stop panicking! There was a lot of roster turnover. It is going to take at least a month to work out line chemistry.

maxresdefault.jpg
If it takes a month to work things out then it's to damm late!

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I think Cory had a bad preseason, especially tonight. Or at least by his standards he did. We're normally in a game like tonight when Cory is just playing okay, let alone when he's his normal self. He gave up a couple poor goals tonight, I think there was literally only 2 games last regular season where he allowed more than one bad goal in the same game.

He was equally as bad in the preseason game against the Rangers last season, the one that was aired on TV on NHLN. So I'm not worried about him.

More worried about the offense, whether it's getting shots or finishing chances when we do get the shots. That's still been my biggest question mark. Also if Zacha is demoted in games like he was tonight and Josefson getting moved up. That experiment is becoming insanity, since the result never changes.

To be fair, Josefson lasted like two shifts on that line before he got demoted again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
maybe as a unit and due to cory/system they might have better GA than other teams but personale wise they are bottom 5. other than Greene it's either unproven players or decent vets. the defenseman impact how well the produce offensively too so you have to take that into account.

Fair enough, you make a good point about systems.

I'll meet you in the middle and say it might be around 22nd or 23rd. The fact that we don't have a big point producer on D, also takes it down a few notches. I think Greene, Severson, Lovejoy, Auvitu, Quincey, Merrill, is an okay enough top 6. Merrill is obviously out to start the season and Auvitu is still a question mark due to lack of games played here. Santini would also be a question mark if he stays up.

I still think that if we do bad this year, it will have more to do with the offense not being improved enough.

Although all it might take are a couple of turds on D, (like the Warsofsky/Helgeson pairing of last year) to get us stuck in our end and allowing more shots, like we saw late last year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be fair, Josefson lasted like two shifts on that line before he got demoted again.

I thought so, I just couldn't keep up with who was where late in the game. There was one point where it seemed like Josefson was out for a stretch of 3 of 5 even strength shifts in the 2nd period, which made me cringe.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Not to mention the larger ice surface.

Who knows if that changed anything but it create more space out there and to me it didnt seem like many Devils were using it.

One thing i liked was some of the passes Zacha man. That kid can see the ice and make a tape to tape pass. I really like what i saw during the preseason from him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not to mention the larger ice surface.

Who knows if that changed anything but it create more space out there and to me it didnt seem like many Devils were using it.

News to me. I get the game was at a non-traditional arena but I thought all NHL games (even preseason) had to conform to the same dimensions?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
News to me. I get the game was at a non-traditional arena but I thought all NHL games (even preseason) had to conform to the same dimensions?

Potvin mentioned during the broadcast that it was different dimensions from an NHL rink. I forget exactly what they were.

I was under the impression that college rinks used the same dimensions, but I've never followed much college hockey.

It was really weird to see no trapezoid too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad