GDT: Devils at Oilers 9:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
What futility is Edmonton? They had that one promising year, losing a tough playoff series to the Ducks. Then these 2 seasons.

What must McDavid be thinking?

All of those lottery picks all of those years. They turned more than a few promising players into under performers. What has become of Nugent-Hopkins talent? He was not very visible tonight.

His facial expression on draft day says it all

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
NBCSN is such brain rot this time of year.

Now they're talking about the Flyers playoff chances! ''Well that stadium series win has really kept them hanging on''. They were talking about the Blackhawks playoff chances during that game earlier, then they were talking about the Oilers playoff chances during our game, now it's the Flyers in the post game!

We already know the Hawks and Flyers are two of their darlings and both teams local affiliate is NBC Sports Whatever/the former Comcast network.

Reactions: sabremike

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Just caught the highlights for the last two periods...LMAO Koskinen...that's going to be another Chiarelli gift that keeps on giving, along with Lucic and his terrible contract.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just caught the highlights for the last two periods...LMAO Koskinen...that's going to be another Chiarelli gift that keeps on giving, along with Lucic and his terrible contract.
The only thing that keeps me from officially declaring Koskinen the worst starting goalie in the league is that first of all, there are a couple teams that don't really have a starter and it's hard to tell who their starter is. And then the fact that this is his first real year in the league. He did play a limited number of games for the Islanders 8 years ago, but this is his first real number of games, but anyone who wants to argue save percentage isn't the best metric might be right if they Koskinen as their example.

But his save percentage has declined since November/December. I was calling for it to decline back when he first started getting a lot of games. He would have 1-2 goal against games and there was one point that 50% of the goals he was allowing looked stoppable, yet his save percentage was like .925%. And I was like ''This isn't gonna hold up. This is the goalie equivalent of a high PDO''.

I was watching some videos the other night when I got bored. One was from TSN. They were asking who would contend or win a cup first, the Oilers or the Canucks? Two of the guys leaned towards the Oilers, but the one guy leaned towards the Canucks because he didn't take Koskinen seriously at all. And then they spoke of Markstrom and didn't seem to take him seriously either, but Koskinen on the eye test looks WAY worse than Markstrom.

I'm thinking pucks just hit him due to either size and girth or the L word. Luck. Plain, fluke, luck.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Is that on the Golf Channel? I think that's an NBC affiliate.

ya its on there at 2pm i think. can stream that for free i think. i am liking the app tho. when he goes off early, like friday, you still can catch all of his holes. the man is the goat.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The only thing that keeps me from officially declaring Koskinen the worst starting goalie in the league is that first of all, there are a couple teams that don't really have a starter and it's hard to tell who their starter is. And then the fact that this is his first real year in the league. He did play a limited number of games for the Islanders 8 years ago, but this is his first real number of games, but anyone who wants to argue save percentage isn't the best metric might be right if they Koskinen as their example.

But his save percentage has declined since November/December. I was calling for it to decline back when he first started getting a lot of games. He would have 1-2 goal against games and there was one point that 50% of the goals he was allowing looked stoppable, yet his save percentage was like .925%. And I was like ''This isn't gonna hold up. This is the goalie equivalent of a high PDO''.

I was watching some videos the other night when I got bored. One was from TSN. They were asking who would contend or win a cup first, the Oilers or the Canucks? Two of the guys leaned towards the Oilers, but the one guy leaned towards the Canucks because he didn't take Koskinen seriously at all. And then they spoke of Markstrom and didn't seem to take him seriously either, but Koskinen on the eye test looks WAY worse than Markstrom.

I'm thinking pucks just hit him due to either size and girth or the L word. Luck. Plain, fluke, luck.
Jason Pominville was the best Oilers goaltender this season AINEC.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
NBCSN is such brain rot this time of year.

Now they're talking about the Flyers playoff chances! ''Well that stadium series win has really kept them hanging on''. They were talking about the Blackhawks playoff chances during that game earlier, then they were talking about the Oilers playoff chances during our game, now it's the Flyers in the post game!

We already know the Hawks and Flyers are two of their darlings and both teams local affiliate is NBC Sports Whatever/the former Comcast network.

To be fair, I don't exactly trust either Columbus or Montreal to run away with that final wild card slot.

I also don't exactly trust the Flyers to heat up and grab a hold of it, though :laugh:

It's murky. Definitely worth a discussion. You also have to remember the Flyers' connection to NBCSN, and accordingly expect some plugs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Heck we go through this with our own network...with Steve breathlessly saying 'now here's the Devils' up to the minute playoff standings' in February when we're 14 points out.

Reactions: Patrik26

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be fair, I don't exactly trust either Columbus or Montreal to run away with that final wild card slot.

I also don't exactly trust the Flyers to heat up and grab a hold of it, though :laugh:

It's murky. Definitely worth a discussion. You also have to remember the Flyers' connection to NBCSN, and accordingly expect some plugs.
It was Keith Jones on, but I think it was Liam who brought it up.

The over the top hype of the Blackhawks in the game before that was also awful. I mean even by the intermission crew and Pierre during the game. And JR too (I know he’s a former Hawk from like 20-something years ago). They wanted to seek the viewer on the Hawks surge back up the standings and Pierre telling us how Colliton was schooling Babcock because of one line change. It was dumb. And then the Hawks come out and allow 29 shots in one period in the 3rd and almost have it tied up and came close to blowing I think what was a 5-0 lead at one point.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It was Keith Jones on, but I think it was Liam who brought it up.

The over the top hype of the Blackhawks in the game before that was also awful. I mean even by the intermission crew and Pierre during the game. And JR too (I know he’s a former Hawk from like 20-something years ago). They wanted to seek the viewer on the Hawks surge back up the standings and Pierre telling us how Colliton was schooling Babcock because of one line change. It was dumb. And then the Hawks come out and allow 29 shots in one period in the 3rd and almost have it tied up and came close to blowing I think what was a 5-0 lead at one point.

Pierre gets all worked up over the dumbest crap lol

He's such an unlikeable geek

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Heck we go through this with our own network...with Steve breathlessly saying 'now here's the Devils' up to the minute playoff standings' in February when we're 14 points out.
I’ve noticed the conspicuous absence of that from Steve this year. Maybe he’ll let us know when we’re finally eliminated, but either he forgot about it after not having to do it last year or somebody in higher ups told him to can it because it’s almost insulting how far out of it we are. :laugh:

I’m sure we can’t be far from reaching the elimination of tragic number point.

Now that I look it up and check the standings, 11-0-0 gets us 83 points. Carolina has 83 points currently and they’re the first wild card team. Montreal and Carolina are both tied for the last wild card spot (Columbus is in it now via tiebreaker). Montreal is in action against the Islanders tonight. So a Montreal win of any kind tonight officially eliminates us.

Actually, maybe it doesn’t but a Columbus won tomorrow night of any kind would. Columbus already has 38 ROWS while the most we could get would be 36 if we went 11-0-0 but Montreal would only have 36 ROWS with an OT or regulation win tonight. We’d actually own the second tiebreaker on them if it’s still season series. :laugh:

A loss of even one point on Friday or Columbus getting two points of any kind on Friday officially eliminates us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pierre gets all worked up over the dumbest crap lol

He's such an unlikeable geek
I’m glad he wasn’t doing our game last night.

I’m thankful we’re not shown on NBC hardly ever, because it would usually mean getting him, unless the game is all the way out in Edmonton and he’s doing the marquee earlier matchup in the evening. Or if we get the combination announce crew like when the Sharks/Kings/Ducks or will usually have Sharks PBP Randy Hahn and Kings color guy Jim Fox or Ducks color guy Brian Hayward and Randy Hahn. Or Kings PBP Alex Faust and Brian Hayward.

Since we rarely ever have those national games, we’d never get one of Steve and Dano. It would probably be Joe Michletti if it were a local game and Pierre wasn’t working it and John Forskund on PBP. I’m pretty sure when we played the Lightning last year on NBCSN it was Brian Engblom on color commentary, who’s with the Lightning on their local broadcasts the last few years. And I forgot who the PBP was. It was either Rick Peckham from the Lightning or John Forslund.

Anybody but Pierre is fine by me.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
I've never been to Halifax either, but I didnt count that as a major city. Is it considered one?

Someone once told me I shouldn't count Winnipeg either, but I figure they have an NHL team, so....
We're not that big but we ARE a port city so the city is quite vibrant with a great boardwalk and great night life. We don't have an NHL team here but watching the Halifax Mooseheads is a treat. I got to see MacKinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, Timo Meier and Nico all play here.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We're not that big but we ARE a port city so the city is quite vibrant with a great boardwalk and great night life. We don't have an NHL team here but the watching Halifax Mooseheads is a treat. I got to see MacKinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, Timo Meier and Nico all play here.

I've stopped in Halifax on a few cruises. It's a gorgeous place.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I still don't much like Rooney, but I think he's safely out of Rod Pelley territory, at least if this is his normal level.

Rooney has reached some bonafide 4th liner territory, not necessarily a good one, but he can play a role there for now. If he somehow gets to be any close to what Coleman was (even before Coleman's offense output the last two years), that wold be a good place to be.

I missed most of the game, but was catching the highlights mainly yesterday.

When i saw that JQ has scored, I was wondering what the reaction would be here...still haven't caught up. Haha.

Saw that Larsson gave Zajac a helmet wash, after scoring the goal.... Lars wishes he was back....?

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad