Post-Game Talk: Devils and caps 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think a lot of people simply don't think Wilson is one of the team's best 12 forwards at the moment, and thus react with frustration that he's apparently somehow immune from being scratched while guys like Vrana, Burakovsky, Conolly, Sanford, and Winnik get themselves sent to the press box.

I think these people don't understand that all of these players fulfill different roles that a hockey team needs and that it's very likely that the coaching staff makes the call on who is dressing not on who is the best 12 players, but who matches up/is needed for their opponent. Obviously, with the exception of Winnik, all of the aforementioned players fill in a much different role than Wilson. It's sort of an apples and oranges thing to say that Vrana is not playing because Tom Wilson is, a Wilson isn't taking a roster spot from a Vrana.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The point of utilizing the heavy game to establish a cycle is to generate shot attempts, and those three players are some of the worst on the team at generating shots. To say they're doing just fine at cycling is probably false.

Interesting game to try to advance that theory during. They have been our best line by far, and have dominated just about every shift

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think these people don't understand that all of these players fulfill different roles that a hockey team needs and that it's very likely that the coaching staff makes the call on who is dressing not on who is the best 12 players but who matches up/is needed for their opponent. Obviously, with the exception of Winnik, all of the aforementioned players fill in a much different role than Wilson. It's sort of an apples and oranges thing to say that Vrana is not playing because Tom Wilson is, a Wilson isn't taking a roster spot from a Vrana.

Fitting players to roles led to enforcers having a role when they are clearly useless. Just play the best players.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Seriously look at Pittsburgh. They dressed their best 12 forwards and sorted things like PKing and grit out later. Hell Sam Gagner and Scott Hartnell are current 4th liners in Columbus.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Pen fan coming in peace. Stopped by to ask if anyone is seeing this game on nbcsn? I wanted to watch this game but nbcsn on my cable has been showing all priemer soccer shows since 7:00. Anyone else having issues?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think these people don't understand that all of these players fulfill different roles that a hockey team needs and that it's very likely that the coaching staff makes the call on who is dressing not on who is the best 12 players but who matches up/is needed for their opponent. Obviously, with the exception of Winnik, all of the aforementioned players fill in a much different role than Wilson. It's sort of an apples and oranges thing to say that Vrana is not playing because Tom Wilson is, a Wilson isn't taking a roster spot from a Vrana.

Hockey rosters don't have to be paint-by-numbers with X amount of checking forwards and Y amount of scoring forwards. This roster has operated with one fewer grinder/PKing forwards during the games in which Winnik has been scratched. Heck, Connolly and Sanford can also be tasked with a grinding bottom six role that Wilson fills.

More to the point, nobody is saying that Vrana is sitting directly because of Wilson, more lamenting than Wilson is currently a rather one-dimensional player who may not be earning his roster spot currently. This is doubly true when Winnik comes out and outplays him.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Canada taking Latvia apart 8-0 in WJC if anyone wants to see some scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad