Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Meier (50% retained) and four others from the Sharks for 2023 1st, conditional 2024 1st, Mukhamadullin, Okhotiuk, Zetterlund & Johnsson

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I wouldn't always call maximizing your earnings greedy...but I sure as hell wouldn't take that risk myself!

I think there is also an element of goodwill in the negotiations that will matter. If Meier refuses to take anything but his QO, then that cap hit will hamstring the team from making other moves to stay a contender, most prominently re-signing Bratt.

Whereas if Meier takes a longer term deal with a lower cap hit and more guaranteed money, then the team has more flexibility to build a contender with him as a core piece. It's a win-win.

That should be an easy sell as a GM to all but the most stubborn, greedy, and/or stupid players, and Meier doesn't come off that way.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think there is also an element of goodwill in the negotiations that will matter. If Meier refuses to take anything but his QO, then that cap hit will hamstring the team from making other moves to stay a contender, most prominently re-signing Bratt.

Whereas if Meier takes a longer term deal with a lower cap hit and more guaranteed money, then the team has more flexibility to build a contender with him as a core piece. It's a win-win.

That should be an easy sell as a GM to all but the most stubborn, greedy, and/or stupid players, and Meier doesn't come off that way.
His agent doesn’t seem ton function like that either.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

If I had to negotiate with agent and winning was a major selling point...

I'd want that agent to be Claude Lemieux.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
He can also accept a QO and then sign 7-8 year with very high AAV.
Him signing the QO would legitimately shock me. The risk of a seriously injury is way too high to try and play with for a 1-1.5M benefit.

It’s just bad business, because he’s probably not getting 11 on the open market next year either.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

Sorry but how many times have you seen players in their primes take significant hometown discounts? In the last decade, I can recall Boston (Bergeron, Marchand etc.) and Tampa (helped by low state tax), nothing else and it virtually always includes players that have spent their whole careers there. In the NHL you can get eliminated in play-offs just by being unlucky, why would you give up millions of USD? Especially for a team that you have been a member of for a week?

Meier played on a very strong San Jose team and signed an RFA contract designed specifically to have a qualifying offer that gives him insanely strong negotiating position, to believe that he will not use that is just naive.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Sorry but how many times have you seen players in their primes take significant hometown discounts? In the last decade, I can recall Boston (Bergeron, Marchand etc.) and Tampa (helped by low state tax), nothing else and it virtually always includes players that have spent their whole careers there. In the NHL you can get eliminated in play-offs just by being unlucky, why would you give up millions of USD? Especially for a team that you have been a member of for a week?

Meier played on a very strong San Jose team and signed an RFA contract designed specifically to have a qualifying offer that gives him insanely strong negotiating position, to believe that he will not use that is just naive.

We're not even asking him to take a significant discount necessarily, because he can still make $10 M in the first year of his next deal. We just need to convince him not to saddle the team with a $10 M cap hit for his next deal, by structuring a contract that gives him long term security, in a team-friendly way.

Especially given the comparable players around the league who are signing in the $8.5-9 M range, that would seem to make sense for him too.

Yes, he has leverage, but it's been reported that he would be "reasonable" for the right contender with a long term offer. I guess we'll see what "reasonable" means to him.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Look at the market for some of the best UFAs. Choices are limited, especially if you're trying to also contend as a player. Hamilton didn't have many options meeting his price. Gaudreau didn't have too many suitors either. The current cap situation is particularly tough on high end players trying to get paid what they're worth.

Teams aren't necessarily going to be able to just acquire him from us, extend and then figure out the cap later. Everyone is up against it or unwilling to lose flexibility without steep compensation. And in a rental situation, he's got to take on the risk of proving himself one more year for what, an extra 10M of lifetime earnings at the potential risk of losing 30-40M, Klingberg-style?

He's going to get a big paycheck here and he's going to contend. Plus he's familiar with some guys and the room seems to be riding high and close-knit. Hard to find a better situation. And I think Bratt is likely weighing similar things - and, as dumb as it is, his profile as a small winger is less of a sell to other GMs. In the words of Friedman quoting some other guy, "Don't f*** with happy."

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We're not even asking him to take a significant discount necessarily, because he can still make $10 M in the first year of his next deal. We just need to convince him not to saddle the team with a $10 M cap hit for his next deal, by structuring a contract that gives him long term security, in a team-friendly way.

Especially given the comparable players around the league who are signing in the $8.5-9 M range, that would seem to make sense for him too.

Yes, he has leverage, but it's been reported that he would be "reasonable" for the right contender with a long term offer. I guess we'll see what "reasonable" means to him.

Which isn't a big ask. There is really no reason why he would be unreasonable about this.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

Devils have leverage too, as they can eat 10m for one year and force him to stay in NJ another season without cashing in. I think something will get worked out, but I don't expect either side to pretend like the 10m qualifier is not the nuclear option on the table if the other side is being unreasonable.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the best free agent winger on the market last year had limited suitors and wound up in the basement of the league. that should be a lesson about chasing the bag if winning really is a priority.

plus the travel, the swiss connection and all that. i’m not even remotely worried about timo signing honestly

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Got this from the main board.

At about 21 minutes in Seravalli says the Canes thought Meier was the only difference maker out there and Seravalli believe the Canes offer was actually the strongest offer.

That's his opinion. Without Jarvis or Nikishin it wasn't anything to distinguish it from NJ's and the NJ offer probably had a better NHL player going back to SJ. Who was Carolina giving up off its roster, Noesen?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That's his opinion. Without Jarvis or Nikishin it wasn't anything to distinguish it from NJ's and the NJ offer probably had a better NHL player going back to SJ. Who was Carolina giving up off its roster, Noesen?

Yep, we all said it's what Grier wants. A person who studies prospects might've preferred a deal around Morrow. + 1st over Muk + 1st but it's subjective.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Unless he's naming names about which prospects were involved, we have really nothing to go on. And for obvious reasons, nobody is going to leak that.

In any case, the former Whalers missed out, and they can suck on a lemon to go with their sour grapes.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Unless he's naming names about which prospects were involved, we have really nothing to go on. And for obvious reasons, nobody is going to leak that.

In any case, the former Whalers missed out, and they can suck on a lemon to go with their sour grapes.
The suspicion is it was Morrow as the main prospect for CAR. That's fine and he's a very good prospect but he's not Luke Hughes. I doubt anything else Carolina offered was different from NJ. The picks were probably equivalent and whatever B prospects Carolina may have offered were not anything better than Okhotyuk and Zetterlund who have actually played a decent number of NHL games and offer some heaviness to their game.

Reactions: Guadana and HBK27

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Maybe they were willing to move 2 1sts without any protections on the picks? But yeah, prospect value is pretty subjective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad