Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Meier (50% retained) and four others from the Sharks for 2023 1st, conditional 2024 1st, Mukhamadullin, Okhotiuk, Zetterlund & Johnsson

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Emily Kaplan on ESPN just said that the teams she has talked to believe there is a "wink wink" agreement with Meier as far as signing an extension in NJ.

Take it for whats its worth.

mr-bean-wink.gif

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Emily Kaplan on ESPN just said that the teams she has talked to believe there is a "wink wink" agreement with Meier as far as signing an extension in NJ.

I mean if there's a handshake agreement why not have just signed it already. I guess they don't want teams to think we're "untrustworthy" we traded without an extension to lower the price but actually had one in place. The other option I see is that we really love the drama. Jack signing when he comes back from the injury. Nico getting the C when he comes back from the injury. Timo signs day of his first game?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I suddenly like this trade even more. I think we kind of knew that he would be open to signing with the Devils, but it wasn't a given based on the public reporting.

She didn't say if the *wink wink* includes anything in the way of ballpark numbers, or if it's just a generalized willingness to extend?

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I mean if there's a handshake agreement why not have just signed it already. I guess they don't want teams to think we're "untrustworthy" we traded without an extension to lower the price but actually had one in place. The other option I see is that we really love the drama. Jack signing when he comes back from the injury. Nico getting the C when he comes back from the injury. Timo signs day of his first game?
Prob wants to check out the area and get a feel first

Reactions: My3Sons

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Wink Wink doesn't necessarily mean they have all the details worked out, for salary distribution, NMC, etc.

Could just be a "Hey, if we offered you 8.5x8 would you say yes" and then you gotta do all the nitty gritty

Reactions: Saugus

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I suddenly like this trade even more. I think we kind of knew that he would be open to signing with the Devils, but it wasn't a given based on the public reporting.

She didn't say if the *wink wink* includes anything in the way of ballpark numbers, or if it's just a generalized willingness to extend?

James Nichols reported Timo was open to signing.

Wink Wink doesn't necessarily mean they have all the details worked out, for salary distribution, NMC, etc.

Could just be a "Hey, if we offered you 8.5x8 would you say yes" and then you gotta do all the nitty gritty

Sure but for all intents and purposes it's the same. If they have the deal and just need to hammer out the details but are holding off then it's basically done. Now sure things could go south but I wouldn't see that happening here.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I believe that the 2 games you’re referring to were home games. Maybe Tuesday against the Leafs?

Reactions: Hisch13r

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
James Nichols reported Timo was open to signing.

Sure but for all intents and purposes it's the same. If they have the deal and just need to hammer out the details but are holding off then it's basically done. Now sure things could go south but I wouldn't see that happening here.
Yeah, if that's true I'm not worried at all about it getting done, just trying to think about why it might not yet be done.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I honestly don't think Timo can find a better situation for himself anywhere in league than right here

I have no doubt that he resigns.
Yea I truely don’t think he would throw away this situation and opportunity for a couple extra dollars on the market

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I honestly don't think Timo can find a better situation for himself anywhere in league than right here

I have no doubt that he resigns.
I also don’t think Fitz makes the move if he’s not pretty much certain that he signs.

Also, fun little nugget, Linholm is a Claude Lemieux client and he signed the day after he was traded to Boston. Maybe Lemieux likes to take care of business fast.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
I really wonder if they are hoping to announce both Bratt and Meier simultaneously. That would be amazing.a deal after he is qualified and accepts. Like Meier may not want to pass up that guaranteed 10Mill but he'll pass on UFA and sign long term.

I really wonder if they are hoping to announce both Bratt and Meier simultaneously. That would be amazing.
Maybe he will sign long term after he accepts his QO. Hard to pass up 10Mill.

When can a player sign long term after accepting a QO? January?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Maybe he will sign long term after he accepts his QO. Hard to pass up 10Mill.

When can a player sign long term after accepting a QO? January?

I think it will be pretty easy for him to pass on the $10 M if Fitz is offering him an 8 year contract worth $65-70 M. More guaranteed money over longer term.

Most players will take that certainty over gambling on their performance and health staying good over a whole year, and having to negotiate again.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
I think it will be pretty easy for him to pass on the $10 M if Fitz is offering him an 8 year contract worth $65-70 M. More guaranteed money over longer term.

Most players will take that certainty over gambling on their performance and health staying good over a whole year, and having to negotiate again.
When can he sign long term after accepting a QO? It would make sense for him to accept the high QO, and then sign long term as soon as he can. He highly likely won't get 10 mill after any long term deal is over.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
He can still get 10M (or more) in actual salary next year with a long term extension. It's not as if he's guaranteed to leave money on the table by rejecting his QO and signing long term.
Exactly, it’s been reported he won’t leave a long contract on the table for the QO. Not overly worried about this at all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
When can he sign long term after accepting a QO? It would make sense for him to accept the high QO, and then sign long term as soon as he can. He highly likely won't get 10 mill after any long term deal is over.

He wouldn't be able to negotiate again until January next year I think. Same as Bratt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad