Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire LHD Jonas Siegenthaler (WAS) for ARZ 3rd 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
And team control is totally a thing. Say what you will about the Mueller trade, Mirco played on the team for three years and was a RFA we didn’t give a qualifying offer to. Someone had to play defense on that team.

This trade might feel somewhat worse and would definitely feel a whole lot weirder if Fitz doesn’t trade at least one defenseman before 3pm Monday but that would be a shocking plot twist.

None of the rookies in Bing sound like they should be up here now, they seem to have plenty to learn in the AHL right now. Plus the most intriguing guy, Vukojevic, will be 19 until June and has been dealing with an injury.

Again, someone has to play defense on this team. Kulikov should bring a very good return, in part thanks to his 1.15m cap hit, and we also have one more salary retention bullet in the chamber.

I was expecting like a 2nd for Kulikov but then the Merrill deal happened. Kulikov has been better so I expect more than a 5th. Wouldn’t be surprised if the offers are only like a 3rd or 4th though

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I was expecting like a 2nd for Kulikov but then the Merrill deal happened. Kulikov has been better so I expect more than a 5th. Wouldn’t be surprised if the offers are only like a 3rd or 4th though
Kulikov while he has been good still has random moments that are head scratching moments. I still think he would be a worthy pick up for most playoff teams. I wonder however if his last few seasons have more of an impact on his value then what he has actually done this year.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Kulikov while he has been good still has random moments that are head scratching moments. I still think he would be a worthy pick up for most playoff teams. I wonder however if his last few seasons have more of an impact on his value then what he has actually done this year.

His play in recent years is honestly what should keep it as a 2nd instead of a 1st. If he was consistently as good as he’s been this year in past years with this cap hit I think that should be worth a 1st

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Not sure why his lack of waiver exemption has any impact on this deal. Washington decided to carry 8 defensemen on their roster this season rather than expose him to waivers, so not sure how you make the case that you can just find a comparable player like him on the waiver wire next season or that he's a tweener.

While you're correct that Washington has carried 8 D this year, they have Kempny coming back from injury, plus they have Fehervary and Alexeyev. Siegenthaler is likely to slide to between 9 - 11 on the depth chart next year.

I'm not really sure what you call someone who is 8 - 11 on the depth chart other than tweener. AHLer is probably the other term, I guess? But that's unkind.

And, while they're very different players, we did see the Canadiens just waive Mete. Another young D who's had success but was relegated to the press box.

You can argue that Mete and Siegenthaler are very different players, but they are pretty comparable this year. (/joke)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, we’re still likely trading Kulikov though, he’s rumored to be pals with Goose, and they do play on the Russian national team together, he’s a UFA, and we just traded a third for LHD defensive defenseman. The Gusev drama may have not poisoned the water with him, but it couldn’t have helped either, and he’s only been here 38 games in this meat grinder season.

He was a great off-season value UFA signing, you’re right Merrill went cheap, hopefully we can do better but you just take a pick and move on.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Over the next two years, you possibly have Hamilton, Parayko, Lindholm, Manson, Jones, Werenski and Ekholm changing teams. They won't all hit UFA, some will be traded and/or extended but interesting possibilities. Every single one of them is likely to be overpaid based on reputation, some of them are now vastly overrated, but I still believe they would help this team and fit a timeline in which we can afford to overpay. Possibly pie-in-the-sky expecting any of them to sign here.

A hockey deal for a defenseman with team control who has had a similar impact to this tier of guys is harder and still not sure we can afford to do that yet. Any deal for an RFA is mostly a projection game. Also why would a team do that, even if they lack firepower up front? Aside from Colorado, who has an embarrassment of riches at the D position?

So, beyond what I just mentioned, today's kind of deal is what makes sense to me over these next two seasons. Hopefully we get some NHL players from the current pool and adding a Power, Hughes, Clarke or Edvinsson will be huge obviously if we go D. But there's still room for a splashy move, I'd say.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Ah, the infamous lack of context by MAU. Anton Stralman couldn’t crack the Devils lineup in 2011. Stralman must have flamed out of the NHL with using MAU logic , pity.

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Forging your narrative again I'm sure.

Very ironic talking about context, when you're putting your own spin on mine. I was responding to this claim that he was a mid-pairing defenseman.

If you can trade a mid round pick for a 22 year old mid-pairing defensive defenseman, you make that trade every time.

And now somehow I said that anyone who can't crack a lineup is bad?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Forging your narrative again I'm sure.

Very ironic talking about context, when you're putting your own spin on mine. I was responding to this claim that he was a mid-pairing defenseman.

And now somehow I said that anyone who can't crack a lineup is bad?

Nolan Foote can't crack the Devils depleted anemic offense

is he bad?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I am picturing Jonas Siegenthaler and Shakir Mukhamadullin in 4-5 years, big strong Dmen, taking out the garbage in front of our net. :)

dano.jpeg

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
As a part of the "rebuild" crew, this trade generates zero emotions. There are pros and cons.

So the biggest advantage of this trade is that WSH defence this year was actually elite and there's zero shame in not cracking the roster behind Dillon, Carlson, Jensen, Chara, Schultz and Orlov.

I think that the value favors Capitals slightly, I'd like it more if the price was 4th round pick but 3th round pick isn't the end of the world (while 2nd round a'la Mueller would be).

I personally hoped that we would make better use of our 3 protection spots for defencemen, I expected to protect Severson + two legitimate top 4 d-men acquired from teams that would otherwise lose them so commitment of one of those spots to Siegenthaler may end up looking silly if e. g. Caps trade away Dillon or Wild send Dumba away for peanuts before the expansion draft.

Time will tell.

Reactions: Spoiled Bratt

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
This move is a pre-cursor to a trade of one or more of the LD trio of Murray, Kulikov and Butcher. It's a good deal -- Siegenthaler is a solid, responsible defensive blueliner with good skates and some physicality. Though he's an RFA after this season, the Devils should be able to get him for a few more years at a reasonable salary. Trading a 3rd round pick for a 23 year old defender who is clearly a pretty good NHL-er must be considered a winning deal by Fitzgerald.

I agree Cap fans are saying he's a physical defensive defenseman good on the boards , in front of his net presence and good reach....Stays in front of the net sounds like someone we need....Fitz did a good job imo.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I personally hoped that we would make better use of our 3 protection spots for defencemen, I expected to protect Severson + two legitimate top 4 d-men acquired from teams that would otherwise lose them so commitment of one of those spots to Siegenthaler may end up looking silly if e. g. Caps trade away Dillon or Wild send Dumba away for peanuts before the expansion draft.

Time will tell.

The Devils can still acquire a D and expose Subban if that's their MO - I doubt Subban would be claimed in expansion. That said, I think it is much harder to pull off this sort of move because the Capitals don't lose every player they don't protect, they only lose one. There's not much sense in trading a player and then losing another player at that position - the Capitals are in the position where they can afford to do that because they have so much depth, but I doubt very much that doing it again makes any sense.

The Wild are likely to protect 4-4 and not expose Dumba but instead expose Greenway.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
He hasn't been given the chance, I fail to see the comparison.
Imagine being able to add Zedeno f***ing Chara to your back end, and then shitting on a kid for not being able to out preform a hall of fame defensemen who was a captain to a cup winning team. This is actually such a silly comparison to make. Jonas could be better then Z right now and you still sign and play Z because of every single thing he brings to an org pushing for a cup before their window closes. This is in fact such an outlandish un reasonable take to think this is a knock on Jonas that you have to be trolling or you actually don't watch the sport at all.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
The Devils can still acquire a D and expose Subban if that's their MO - I doubt Subban would be claimed in expansion. That said, I think it is much harder to pull off this sort of move because the Capitals don't lose every player they don't protect, they only lose one. There's not much sense in trading a player and then losing another player at that position - the Capitals are in the position where they can afford to do that because they have so much depth, but I doubt very much that doing it again makes any sense.

The Wild are likely to protect 4-4 and not expose Dumba but instead expose Greenway.
No but if they are also extremely deep defensively and in their prospect pool with kids that are ready to make the jump. So they are getting resources for players that they would eventually lose one way or another.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

I think that there's no way Seattle takes Subban even with his improved play recently.

Other than that, I agree with your points, Wild have 4 good d-men (with 3 NMCs on top of that) but they can go 4+4 (and still lose Greenway as you said but it doesn't affect d-men situation anymore).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No but if they are also extremely deep defensively and in their prospect pool with kids that are ready to make the jump. So they are getting resources for players that they would eventually lose one way or another.

If this is true, there's no reason to make another move before the expansion draft. Let's imagine that the Caps still have one too many D. If Seattle takes one D, problem solved - now they have the right amount of D. If Seattle takes a forward, now you can move an excess D to a team that just got a D taken and now needs one.

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
If this is true, there's no reason to make another move before the expansion draft. Let's imagine that the Caps still have one too many D. If Seattle takes one D, problem solved - now they have the right amount of D. If Seattle takes a forward, now you can move an excess D to a team that just got a D taken and now needs one.
There's also the financial side of it all if they can get someone to come in and play at the same level for less why not. As fans we almost always just look at ice performance and not the whole picture.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Defense is just freaking expensive and this isn’t bargain time. I don’t know, people don’t have too excited if they don’t wanna, he seems like he will be 4-6 useful guy.

I’m not dancing in the streets myself but I get the logic, our biggest need is defense. Having UFA defensemen doing well doesn’t mean anything in terms of our future. I’m skeptical of getting the mythical young top 4 defensemen out the ED draft chaos because I’ve read the same plan meant for numerous other teams so grabbing this dude now is a reasonable move.

Useful to see the pick success rate.

But it should be noted that Siegenthaler is no longer exempt from waivers, and that’s why I don’t love this deal.

Imo, it’s pretty likely there will be some tweeners like Siegenthaler on the waiver wire in preseason. Yes, there will be fewer because of Seattle. But, deeper teams will still have these issues.

Hopefully this is a Kuokkannen situation where the Devils really liked the player vs Mueller where it seemed the Devils were being opportunistic / betting on a rebound. Unfortunately, Siegenthaler has been press boxed most of the year, so likely hard to have gotten a read on him.
I’m not sure who’s pushing this dude below 7th defenseman next season though, unless he’s garbage, unless we start filling the ranks.

The Caps have never waived him this season, going by Cap Friendly, so he’s never been on the waiver wire, he was on his ELC last season so he was waiver exempt then. It says something that they never risked sending him to the taxi squad ever this entire season, they didn’t even sneak him through in January. (Maybe the Caps never really needed to do this due to a relative lack of injuries but still, in his defense, he’s never been available on the waiver wire.)

Reactions: TheDuke93

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Subban could very well be taken because he will be in the last year of his contract and Seattle needs to hit the cap floor. Subban will also have very good trade value at the 2022 deadline if the Devils find themselves on the outside looking in the playoff picture once more. So I would be willing to protect Subban and trade a pick or prospect to Seattle to lay off McLeod and Bastian and instead take the awful Johnsson contract off NJ's hands. Maybe Butcher will be of interest to Seattle, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad