Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire LHD Jonas Siegenthaler (WAS) for ARZ 3rd 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019
I am picturing Jonas Siegenthaler and Shakir Mukhamadullin in 4-5 years, big strong Dmen, taking out the garbage in front of our net. :)

Reactions: Blender

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Context, unfortunately, isn’t something that’s looked at most of the time and I couldn’t agree with you more then I do now but you do have to laugh at the fact that the majority weren’t willing to trade for a player in the same age bracket, with several of our armchair GM proposals of the last 7 days or so. Now that it actually went down, you see a complete 180 in what was a mindset that you load up on picks and add players for free via free agency or waivers.

With that said, I hope this kid turns out as a solid bottom pairing dman because we all know that adding size and strength to our blueline was something that needed to be addressed.
That's just not true, not wanting to trade NHL players + picks for marginal upgrade or trading a ton of assets for big upgrades while creating more holes is entirely different then trading a 3rd round pick for a guy that has NHL experience and would be playing if it wasn't for Chara.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
There is a 14% (CORRECTION: 27% APOLOGIES) chance that a 3rd round pick turns into a NHL player with >99 games.
I say giving up a 3rd rounder for a young D-man who has been able to get ice time on the WSH Capitals is a pretty fine deal.

Source:
NHL Draft Pick Probabilities

Useful to see the pick success rate.

But it should be noted that Siegenthaler is no longer exempt from waivers, and that’s why I don’t love this deal.

Imo, it’s pretty likely there will be some tweeners like Siegenthaler on the waiver wire in preseason. Yes, there will be fewer because of Seattle. But, deeper teams will still have these issues.

Hopefully this is a Kuokkannen situation where the Devils really liked the player vs Mueller where it seemed the Devils were being opportunistic / betting on a rebound. Unfortunately, Siegenthaler has been press boxed most of the year, so likely hard to have gotten a read on him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, they can expose Subban, if there is a good opportunity to add another defender. Subban has been fairly good this season, but it's not the biggest thing if the Kraken selects him.
Subban is leaned on pretty heavily by NJ. If the plan is to leave him unprotected, then there better be a plan to replace what he brings.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the comparisons to mueller are because this is another guy who was the odd defenseman out after getting passed by other prospects, we traded a pick to get him, and if memory serves both deals were right before an expansion draft. nobody is comparing the 2 players or the 2 deals specifically...it's not that difficult to understand.

we did a similar thing with palms & a similar thing with johnsson. personally, i think it's pretty smart to look for guys who are being underutilized and getting them at a relatively low cost. some will work out, some won't, but it's definitely preferable to overpaying a guy in UFA who won't be worth his massive contract 2 years after the ink dries on the contract (for example)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

But it should be noted that Siegenthaler is no longer exempt from waivers, and that’s why I don’t love this deal.

Imo, it’s pretty likely there will be some tweeners like Siegenthaler on the waiver wire in preseason. Yes, there will be fewer because of Seattle. But, deeper teams will still have these issues.

Hopefully this is a Kuokkannen situation where the Devils really liked the player vs Mueller where it seemed the Devils were being opportunistic / betting on a rebound. Unfortunately, Siegenthaler has been press boxed most of the year, so likely hard to have gotten a read on him.
I think this trade indicates the Devils do not see him as a tweener. He might be a 2-3 year stop gap until the recent draft picks are ready, but a pretty safe bet he is a regular for the rest of this year(once we trade Kulikov) and next year.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
the comparisons to mueller are because this is another guy who was the odd defenseman out after getting passed by other prospects, we traded a pick to get him, and if memory serves both deals were right before an expansion draft. nobody is comparing the 2 players or the 2 deals specifically...it's not that difficult to understand.

we did a similar thing with palms & a similar thing with johnsson. personally, i think it's pretty smart to look for guys who are being underutilized and getting them at a relatively low cost. some will work out, some won't, but it's definitely preferable to overpaying a guy in UFA who won't be worth his massive contract 2 years after the ink dries on the contract (for example)
What prospects was he passed by. My understanding was that they brought in some guy named Zdeno Chara who pushed him out of the lineup. Also traded for Brendan Dillon last trade season and resigned him in the offseason if I’m not mistaken.

Edit: I don’t consider Chara or Dillon to be prospects which I think is pretty fair.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
That's just not true, not wanting to trade NHL players + picks for marginal upgrade or trading a ton of assets for big upgrades while creating more holes is entirely different then trading a 3rd round pick for a guy that has NHL experience and would be playing if it wasn't for Chara.

For a team looking to repeat, one would think that they would rather have a guy with NHL experience who’s apparently solid on PK over a random pick, if ever someone on the left side of their defence would go down with an injury, wouldn’t you think?

If it works out in our favour, that’s all that matters but I have my doubts. My point has always been to add proven talent for future assets such as picks and prospects. I don’t think the player we acquired is proven and adding that 3rd to a top prospect could’ve been of better use to land us a top #6 forward/2nd pairing dman, also in that same age group.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
What prospects was he passed by. My understanding was that they brought in some guy named Zdeno Chara who pushed him out of the lineup. Also traded for Brendan Dillon last trade season and resigned him in the offseason if I’m not mistaken.

Edit: I don’t consider Chara or Dillon to be prospects which I think is pretty fair.

i don't know, i'm just going off of caps fans reactions on the main board and elsewhere. in fairness, they may just be trying to justify the move, as fans do.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
For a team looking to repeat, one would think that they would rather have a guy with NHL experience over a random pick, if ever someone on the left side of their defence would go down with an injury, wouldn’t you think?

If it works out in our favour, that’s all that matters but I have my doubts. My point has always been to add proven talent for future assets such as picks and prospects. I don’t think the player we acquired is proven and adding that 3rd to a top prospect could’ve been of better use to land a top #6 forward, also in that same age group.
He had two very good years before this season but was pushed out of the lineup by additions of Chara and Dillon. Has played 97 games in the league and been solid in those games. It sounds like the capitals may have gotten rid of him to make room for another addition.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
i don't know, i'm just going off of caps fans reactions on the main board and elsewhere. in fairness, they may just be trying to justify the move, as fans do.
Ya I don’t know what they would be talking about. The caps have played 8 d this year. The 3 LD that have played besides him are Orlov, Dillon and Chara so it’s pretty easy to see why he hasn’t gotten in the lineup. None of the 8 d are young prospect d.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
For a team looking to repeat, one would think that they would rather have a guy with NHL experience who’s apparently solid on PK over a random pick, if ever someone on the left side of their defence would go down with an injury, wouldn’t you think?

If it works out in our favour, that’s all that matters but I have my doubts. My point has always been to add proven talent for future assets such as picks and prospects. I don’t think the player we acquired is proven and adding that 3rd to a top prospect could’ve been of better use to land us a top #6 forward/2nd pairing dman, also in that same age group.
He got replace by big Z its that simple.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sieg's role on the PK was lessened fairly siginificantly in the playoffs last year as the caps went with Carlson and Jenson as their top pk pair.

He still played 2:27 per, so still a big contributor, but down from 3:10. Only played 7 of 8 games so not sure if that was healthy scratch or if he was banged up.

Then they brought in Chara, and now he is traded for a 3rd.

So he's probably OK. Can fill that PK role, play bottom pair defensive minutes, but I'm not expecting a ton here.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

This is wrong.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

We still have our own 3rd and 4th round picks available if we really want to pursue this mythical deal of yours that you think we would've been better off using Arizona's pick for.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Not sure why his lack of waiver exemption has any impact on this deal. Washington decided to carry 8 defensemen on their roster this season rather than expose him to waivers, so not sure how you make the case that you can just find a comparable player like him on the waiver wire next season or that he's a tweener.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the comparisons to Mueller are because they are both big and Swiss...lets be honest here, I would wager most posters here didn't know much if anything at all about this dude before today so those are the easiest things to see

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Murray is a sneeze away from being on the IR for a month and Kulikov is "old".

We picked up a young, cost controlled NHL defender that much better fits the timeline and doesn't have a history of injuries. Of course the price was going to be higher. But what are the chances that 3rd would have even yielded an NHL player? Quite low. I don't like the idea of a rebuilding team throwing picks around frivolously, but I think this is a pretty smart move.
And team control is totally a thing. Say what you will about the Mueller trade, Mirco played on the team for three years and was a RFA we didn’t give a qualifying offer to. Someone had to play defense on that team.

This trade might feel somewhat worse and would definitely feel a whole lot weirder if Fitz doesn’t trade at least one defenseman before 3pm Monday but that would be a shocking plot twist.

None of the rookies in Bing sound like they should be up here now, they seem to have plenty to learn in the AHL right now. Plus the most intriguing guy, Vukojevic, will be 19 until June and has been dealing with an injury.

Again, someone has to play defense on this team. Kulikov should bring a very good return, in part thanks to his 1.15m cap hit, and we also have one more salary retention bullet in the chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad