Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire LHD Jonas Siegenthaler (WAS) for ARZ 3rd 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We picked up Kulikov for free and Murray for a 5th. This seems like a huge overpayment.

Murray is a sneeze away from being on the IR for a month and Kulikov is "old".

We picked up a young, cost controlled NHL defender that much better fits the timeline and doesn't have a history of injuries. Of course the price was going to be higher. But what are the chances that 3rd would have even yielded an NHL player? Quite low. I don't like the idea of a rebuilding team throwing picks around frivolously, but I think this is a pretty smart move.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
We picked up Kulikov for free and Murray for a 5th. This seems like a huge overpayment.

Kulikov was 30 years old with a replacement level year behind him. He was also a free agent so I’m not sure how that even makes sense. Vegas got Pietrangelo for free. I guess that makes this an enormous overpayment.

Murray was an injury prone defenseman and a cap dump and he only had one year left before UFA. Again, not a similar situation. Columbus needed the room and not many teams could eat $4.6m.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Murray is a sneeze away from being on the IR for a month and Kulikov is "old".

We picked up a young, cost controlled NHL defender that much better fits the timeline and doesn't have a history of injuries. Of course the price was going to be higher. But what are the chances that 3rd would have even yielded an NHL player? Quite low. I don't like the idea of a rebuilding team throwing picks around frivolously, but I think this is a pretty smart move.

My issue with Kulikov is less his age and more that he's been replacement-level for years and his strong play this season is very much out of the blue. If I was confident that his performance this year is a new baseline and would decline gracefully with age I would actually be fine with a multi-year deal for him.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Forgetting age, RFA status, FA signing and everything else that makes this different. Using the word "huge" with an extra 3rd round pick is the biggest blunder here.

A day ago draft picks were solid gold. Funny how that fluctuates.

My comment is about asset management, not a comparison of the players. We were able to fill these positions with net positive assets. Now we're buying 3rd pairing defenseman with draft picks before the expansion draft.

Also I believe he's arbitration eligible so there's no guarantee he's a long term asset.

Reactions: Spoiled Bratt

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

My comment is about asset management, not a comparison of the players. We were able to fill these positions with net positive assets. Now we're buying 3rd pairing defenseman with draft picks before the expansion draft.

When did anyone claim a 3rd round pick is solid gold?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

If that 3rd round pick turns into a capable Dman 5 years from now, that would be a win. Why not skip the waiting period?

Draft picks are gold exactly because of the trade that just happened. A team had an extra young D-man they didn't have room for but is able to play in the NHL, we got him.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Big fan of this trade for a few reasons.
1) Firstly, sentimental purposes. When I was lucky enough to study/live in Switzerland for a brief period a few years ago, I got out to a hockey game in Bern between ZSC Lions and SC Bern. I was aware of a kid named Nico Hischier in the Bern system and was hoping to see him play but that was the year he was bouncing back and forth between the top two Swiss pro leagues and didn't get a chance to see him. However, there was a really young defenseman for Zurich who wasn't quite in his draft-eligible year yet. His name was Jonas Siegenthaler. I'm happy he's part of the team now.

2) Now on to more substantive stuff, as has been mentioned, he's a big, smooth-skating defenseman who is quite good defensively. It reminds me a lot of the Palmieri trade in that he's got some very positive underlying numbers but has been ultimately buried on the depth chart for a competing team. Not expecting much offense at all from him, but just having a defenseman who can defend is a big deal.

3) From a value perspective, this was a pretty shrewd trade...Washington was at 49 contracts and is probably going to make at least one trade deadline acquisition. On top of that, Siegenthaler will need to be protected with the expansion draft coming up. The trade market is very rough right now, but I would pay a 3rd round pick for a competent defenseman of Siegenthaler's age almost every time. So props to Fitzgerald for swooping in with that.

4) Lastly, I love the idea of draft picks as much as anyone but 3rd round picks have roughly 27% chance of playing over 100 NHL games. Also, it's nice to get a player much further along in his development than to pick a player like him with the 3rd round pick and have to wait for a few years to get there. I like the idea of home-run swings for draft picks, but in terms of asset management, I think this was a smart move.

Also I guess this means that the Devils are trade deadline buyers, right? :laugh:

Last edited:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
So I imagine our 3 protection slots are basically set at this point: Severson, Subban, Siegenthaler. I suppose if they have a good opportunity to add another defender they still can. Losing a 3rd round pick to the expansion draft isn't the worst thing in the world.
Yeah, they can expose Subban, if there is a good opportunity to add another defender. Subban has been fairly good this season, but it's not the biggest thing if the Kraken selects him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Defensive stats for a third pair defensemen don’t necessarily translate to another team all that well at times. His stats were bit shakier this season too.

I’m more confident because this team did a good job targeting defensemen in the off-season and finding the right defensive defenseman in terms of play style and fit for the team system is talent some teams don’t actually have. (I’m happy to hear some Cap fans are bummed to lose him too, I don’t remember too many heartbroken Shark fans after the Mueller trade.)

I’m curious if the Caps wanted a contract slot, they are at 48/50 now, and/or an extra pick because they are going shopping or if it was just a ED thing. (Edit: though I think the contract limit doesn’t matter by noon Monday while the trade deadline ends at 3pm, if I’m not mistaken and I wouldn’t be surprised if I was.)

We don’t actually have a lot of defensive depth because they let the all the kids play this year in Bing. There certainly isn’t a Mermis down there and we can’t count on getting a Claesson-type back in a trade. Butcher is the only lefty too, Carrick and Tennyson are both RHD. And Carrick hasn’t been getting exactly rave reviews for his AHL performances either.

Last edited:

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Big fan of this trade for a few reasons.
1) Firstly, sentimental purposes. When I was lucky enough to study/live in Switzerland for a brief period a few years ago, I got out to a hockey game in Bern between ZSC Lions and SC Bern. I was aware of a kid named Nico Hischier in the Bern system and was hoping to see him play but that was the year he was bouncing back and forth between the top two Swiss pro leagues and didn't get a chance to see him. However, there was a really young defenseman for Zurich who wasn't quite in his draft-eligible year yet. His name was Jonas Siegenthaler. I'm happy he's part of the team now.

2) Now on to more substantive stuff, as has been mentioned, he's a big, smooth-skating defenseman who is quite good defensively. It reminds me a lot of the Palmieri trade in that he's got some very positive underlying numbers but has been ultimately buried on the depth chart for a competing team. Not expecting much offense at all from him, but just having a defenseman who can defend is a big deal.

3) From a value perspective, this was a pretty shrewd trade...Washington was at 49 contracts and is probably going to make at least one trade deadline acquisition. On top of that, Siegenthaler will need to be protected with the expansion draft coming up. The trade market is very rough right now, but I would pay a 3rd round pick for a competent defenseman Siegenthaler's almost every time. So props to Fitzgerald for swooping in with that.

4) Lastly, I love the idea of draft picks as much as anyone but 3rd round picks have roughly 27% chance of playing over 100 NHL games. Also, it's nice to get a player much further along in his development than to pick a player like him with the 3rd round pick and have to wait for a few years to get there. I like the idea of home-run swings for draft picks, but in terms of asset management, I think this was a smart move.

Also I guess this means that the Devils are trade deadline buyers, right? :laugh:
Slightly off topic, Bern was absolutely GORGEOUS and I was upset I didn't get to see a game when I was there.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Comp is poor man’s Orpik except without much of a slapshot, has always been good on the PK, fine 6th/7th guy on a playoff team.
Are you going to protect him in the expansion draft?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Never ceases to amaze me how many people on this board choose to ignore context, in life in general as well. Don’t know how these people function.

Context, unfortunately, isn’t something that’s looked at most of the time and I couldn’t agree with you more then I do now but you do have to laugh at the fact that the majority weren’t willing to trade for a player in the same age bracket, with several of our armchair GM proposals of the last 7 days or so. Now that it actually went down, you see a complete 180 in what was a mindset that you load up on picks and add players for free via free agency or waivers.

With that said, I hope this kid turns out as a solid bottom pairing dman because we all know that adding size and strength to our blueline was something that needed to be addressed.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not sure if it's been mentioned but one thing Siegenthaler was called on to do in Wash was kill penalties.

Team leader last year at 3:10 minutes per game played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad