Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire John Marino for Ty Smith & a 2023 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
No NHL teams keeps a top-4 dman as reserve for possible injuries nor play them on their third pair when they have made the playoffs once in ten years.

We arent Tampa Bay on the cusp. Get the 1st+ and move on
Why do you keep saying he'd be on the third pair? Unless I'm missing something that would be Marino...

Reactions: Nubmer6

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Why do you keep saying he'd be on the third pair? Unless I'm missing something that would be Marino...
Well considering Marino is a 2nd pair dman, one would assume Fitz picked him up to replace Severson

If he stays then sure, hed probably play 2nd pair. But in reality on our depth chart hed 3RD because, and its hard to ever say with certainty, but theres a 0.0% chance Severson is signed here long-term while Marino has five years.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Well considering Marino is a 2nd pair dman, one would assume Fitz picked him up to replace Severson

If he stays then sure, hed probably play 2nd pair. But in reality on our depth chart hed 3RD because, and its hard to ever say with certainty, but theres a 0.0% chance Severson is signed here long-term while Marino has five years.
Until he's gone he's the second RD I'd imagine.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He has also used draft picks to remake the D organizationally though, given Luke, Nemec and maybe even Muk. That's three first-rounders on D including two top five picks. It's just those guys haven't become part of the mix yet.

This year we drafted 5 Dmen ...this is how you start a rebuild...

Shero in his first 3 years 15,16 and 17 drafted 7 Defensemen with 25 picks...And 5 of those 7 were taken in rounds 6 and 7.

That's just neglect.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Until he's gone he's the second RD I'd imagine.
Fair enough; even if he was on the third pair his minutes would probably be more than Marino's until maybe the halfway point of the season, where you entertain moving him... but that has its issues too.

Luckily either way the defense is solved IMO. Its just about extra assets or not.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
This year we drafted 5 Dmen ...this is how you start a rebuild...

Shero in his first 3 years 15,16 and 17 drafted 7 Defensemen with 25 picks...And 5 of those 7 were taken in rounds 6 and 7.

That's just neglect.

I agree. BUT....

In 2015 our top scorer was Henrique with 43 points. We had absolutely zero offensive fire power.

This was back when we had Larsson, Severson, Merrill and Gelinas. Granted that didn't turn out great either, but at the time it looked above average for the future...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I agree. BUT....

In 2015 our top scorer was Henrique with 43 points. We had absolutely zero offensive fire power.

This was back when we had Larsson, Severson, Merrill and Gelinas. Granted that didn't turn out great either, but at the time it looked above average for the future...
We obviously needed forwards but that doesn't mean you don't draft D men.

Take a look at the 1992 draft...we drafted Jason Smith, Sergie Brylin and Cal Hulse 1,2,3... Two Dmen in the first 3 picks 6 Dmen in total from the 1992 draft..so what?

We had just drafted Niedermeyer #3 overall the year before, we had Stevens, Driver, Daneyko, Fetisov, Kasatonov, Albelin...

In Utica we had Kevin Dean, Myles O'Connor, Brent Severyn, Dean Malkoc Jamie Huscroft...and we still drafted 6 D in 92.

From 1983 to 2000 we drafted at least 1 Dman with one of our top 3 picks 16 out of 18 times... During that time we used one of our top 2 picks on Dmen 12 times and we used our first pick on Dmen 7 times. And we were stacked to hilt with Dmen on the big club that entire time.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Fair enough; even if he was on the third pair his minutes would probably be more than Marino's until maybe the halfway point of the season, where you entertain moving him... but that has its issues too.

Luckily either way the defense is solved IMO. Its just about extra assets or not.
It's definitely a tricky situation with Severson. Drafting Nemec compounded that situation. I wanted to sign Severson but giving him a 7-8 year deal after drafting Nemec made no sense and now with this trade it makes even less sense. I'd look to move him at the deadline rather than now but I understand why people would do it now. In a perfect world Nemec lights up the A and looks ready and we trade Severson at the deadline and bring up Nemec.

Reactions: tailfins

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
It's definitely a tricky situation with Severson. Drafting Nemec compounded that situation. I wanted to sign Severson but giving him a 7-8 year deal after drafting Nemec made no sense and now with this trade it makes even less sense. I'd look to move him at the deadline rather than now but I understand why people would do it now. In a perfect world Nemec lights up the A and looks ready and we trade Severson at the deadline and bring up Nemec.
Id love that idea and it would help me align more with @beekay414 on the 'trade him at the deadline' line of thinking

Really my only issue with moving Damon at that time is whats considered close enough to a playoff race to not piss off the team if we move him? But if Nemec was taking his spot, then its another story and one Id have no worried about then (still would be a bad look but the players could probably understand that more)

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I find it interesting that everyone here has Fox as "definitely/obviously better then Hamilton".

I get that Fox is really good and Hamilton just had an injury riddled season, but when we signed Hamilton the consensus was he was one of the top d-men in the league.

Well yea, that was before Fox actually got a 74 pt season, something Hamilton has actually never done yet. Before this last season, Hamilton was definitely better and more proven.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Because he has the pieces to do so.
Bullshit.

Graves, Hamilton, Siegenthaler... Drafting Hughes and Nemec required nothing.

Edit: and trading a bust pick for Marino hardly is "having the assets" to make moves. That's essentially a revamp of the entire defense with nothing but a few picks and some money IN ONE CALENDAR YEAR.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
When the sum of your forward drafting for a decade is Henrique, Coleman, and Wood...the next guy might decide to focus on drafting forwards over defensemen. I think you also have to look at the drafts in context. We had the #1 overall pick in 2017 and 2019. Were we going to pass on Nico and Jack for a defenseman at the time? No. In 2018 we used our 1st on a defenseman, and had no 2nd or 3rd round pick. 2016 is the one that hurts. I'm not going to defend the McLeod pick. It was bad, and really hurts when you consider McAvoy and Chychrun went within the next 4 picks of him.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
You mean once you have some parts of your team in place, you start to fill out the other parts and things start to take shape? And then you find out even more specifically what your team needs? Oh jeez! Why didn't Fitz tell Shero about this "team building" thing...?

What a silly cope from those who want to be able to spin the narrative once things turn, as they might this season. You can add a Palat and Marino once you have guys who can actually hold onto the puck for longer than it takes to go from blue line to blue line.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You mean once you have some parts of your team in place, you start to fill out the other parts and things start to take shape? And then you find out even more specifically what your team needs? Oh jeez! Why didn't Fitz tell Shero about this "team building" thing...?

What a silly cope from those who want to be able to spin the narrative once things turn, as they might this season. You can add a Palat and Marino once you have guys who can actually hold onto the puck for longer than it takes to go from blue line to blue line.
Nothing on Defense"was in place". Not a single thing.

Not to be to harsh but the D prospect before Fitzgerald suck too. I mean Bahl which wasn't even our pick and Okhotyuk is nothing to write home about for how long we have been bad and how many picks we've had... and that is the best of the remaining Shero D.

As opposed to Muk, Luke,, Nemec and Casey ..are you kidding me?

Fitzgerald rebuilt the entire NHL defense and the defense pipeline in almost no time flat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Are you sure about that?

I was told he was the MVP of the Rangers for the playoffs this year.
I wouldn't have minded him tbh. He's changed his game into a more physical defenseman. We need that. Smith will be that at a fraction of the cost so I'm cool with that. I really think Smith will be an important piece for us for a few reasons including his physicality and what I am assuming a half way decent leadership capability.

Nothing on Defense"was in place". Not a single thing.

Not to be to harsh but the D prospect before Fitzgerald suck too. I mean Bahl which wasn't even our pick and Okhotyuk is nothing to write home about for how long we have been bad... and that is the best of the remaining Shero D.

As opposed to Muk, Luke,, Nemec and Casy ..are you kidding me?

Fitzgerald rebuilt the entire NHL defense and the defense pipeline in almost no time flat.
Your optimism is heart warming.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I miss this trade by a day, and you lunatics have already run this thread out to 25 pages? Good Lord.

I'm glad we were able to get a solid return for Smith, and Marino seems like a solid defenseman from what little I know of him so far.

Now to read through this thread, where I am sure I will find many level-headed and balanced takes about the merits of this deal. :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I miss this trade by a day, and you lunatics have already run this thread out to 25 pages? Good Lord.

I'm glad we were able to get a solid return for Smith, and Marino seems like a solid defenseman from what little I know of him so far.

Now to read through this thread, where I am sure I will find many level-headed and balanced takes about the merits of this deal. :laugh:
It's universally lauded.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Are you sure about that?

I was told he was the MVP of the Rangers for the playoffs this year.

I know you jest, and i'm using your post but not attacking you.

But obviously Trouba doesn't suck. He's got skill and size, and is definitely a valuable player. Is he a #1 ? no. Overpaid? Probably. IF he's on our team we're definitely improved.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I think almost everyone likes this trade.

Only negatives is this most likely means the writing is on the wall for Severson which is a bummer for those who like him

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
i couldn't agree more. I think Smith is going to bust. perhaps he can find a system that shelters him in someway. but you don't trade a 22 yr old first round pick dman if you think he is any good. the fact that marino is a top 4 and we got him for who in my opinion will be lucky to crack an NHL lineup moving forward is huge. obviously i could be wrong about smith but i think he is a bust.
Given the low end of Smith's performance, he could certainly bust. I think he ends of being a 3rd pairing offensive Dman but there is risk with him. I certainly think we did extremely good on the value with this trade.

Reactions: lightsout

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Good players don’t have seasons as bad as the one Smith just had, more or less ever.

He might become an NHL player, but it’s extremely unlikely he’s ever good enough that we even sort of regret this trade.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Good players don’t have seasons as bad as the one Smith just had, more or less ever.

He might become an NHL player, but it’s extremely unlikely he’s ever good enough that we even sort of regret this trade.

I'd be ok with it if Smith bounced back and succeeded in Pittsburgh. He may very well have improved from his horrendous sophomore slump if he had stayed here, but Fitz was able to get good value for him even selling low.

It also helps a ton that our prospect pool at defense is one of our genuine areas of strength. It's easy to entertain the idea of shipping out NHL caliber prospect defensemen when you're becoming a defense factory again.

And yes I agree with you several pages back, f*** Harvard indeed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Probably also something to it that Smith simply isn't the type of Dman Fitz wants for this team.

Fitz has seemingly made it a point to purge the blueline of Shero guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad