Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire John Marino for Ty Smith & a 2023 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Quenneville was criticized for his poor conditioning after multiple off-seasons, he lacked the work ethic to make it. His production in the AHL came a lot from the PP and he didn’t see how that wasn’t going to translate for him in the NHL. He needed to adapt his playing style to available roles and he didn’t try or know how to do it

Lower European leagues are better for him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No, of course not...It shouldn't be. The lead up to 2015 we never had high picks the years prior to 2013 we were a good team winning 40+ and having a 100+ points most years.

EDIT: It should be remembered that Zacha was our highest pick since Scott Niedermayer....24 freaking years prior- That's how good life was.

There is no way the prospect pools could be the same when you are literally picking at average 30 overall for 15 years vs picking an average of 5OA for 8 year...

But the overvaluing of the existing pool is hilarious...After the 2016 draft this place declared Shero fixed the Right Wing Problem...Hell, I even bought into it

Palmieiri
Bastian
Anderson
Just signed Nick Lappin out of College
Maybe even McLeod at RW

Stacked! We can dig up the old Stacked at RW threads - Position of strength bro...So much better than the Boucher Quenneville garbage prospects...No not really.

I mean, they have a top 3-5 pool pretty much across the board on all the independent sites that analyze this sort of thing.

Also, no one was "hyped" for some of that poo-poo platter you listed. Hyped because they are our players and thats what we do as fans, but no one realistically thought they'd be elite high end guys.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No, of course not...It shouldn't be. The lead up to 2015 we never had high picks the years prior to 2013 we were a good team winning 40+ and having a 100+ points most years.

EDIT: It should be remembered that Zacha was our highest pick since Scott Niedermayer....24 freaking years prior- That's how good life was.

There is no way the prospect pools could be the same when you are literally picking at average 30 overall for 15 years vs picking an average of 5OA for 8 year...

But the overvaluing of the existing pool is hilarious...After the 2016 draft this place declared Shero fixed the Right Wing Problem...Hell, I even bought into it

Palmieiri
Bastian
Anderson
Just signed Nick Lappin out of College
Maybe even McLeod at RW

Stacked! We can dig up the old Stacked at RW threads - Position of strength bro...So much better than the Boucher Quenneville garbage prospects...No not really.
Do you think that Holtz and Gritsyuk are same level as what we thought Bastian Anderson etc was ?
Im just honestly asking. I did not follow prospects then as close as I do now . I cannot remember how good myself and other Devils fans rated those guy back then.
I get the hesitation to say a prospect is good or not . We habe been burned a lot in the past. Howecer , to me , Holtz and Gritsyuk look very promising and I’d say are very good pieces (along with Luke , Nemec , )
I am not proclaimimg them as future NHL all-stars but they do have some very high end potentail where I put the chances of them becoming good NHL players more likely than not . I’d say in order or liklihood I’d go Luke , Nemec ………………..Holtz Gritsyuk

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I mean, they have a top 3-5 pool pretty much across the board on all the independent sites that analyze this sort of thing.

Also, no one was "hyped" for some of that poo-poo platter you listed. Hyped because they are our players and thats what we do as fans, but no one realistically though they'd be elite high end guys.

It makes sense...They have been a bottom 5 team most of the last 8 years...That's why this isn't impressive...Not at all - Not even slightly. It is mandatory.

The prospect pool is basically ranked where they have been picking for almost a decade now. If it wasn't 3-5 and we were a bottom 5 team for the last 8 years might as well just pack up and move the franchise...

But that is also the rub...We've been at this world's greatest pool thing for a while now...And aside from 2 #1OA and Bratt maybe Sharongovich, what have we really seen as tangible success from this pool?

It's great to keep calling the prospect "Best in the League" but when does that start pay dividends? I have literally asked the question for at least 4 years and the on ice result never changes.

3 or 4 years in from when guys like Maclean, Verbeek, Muller were drafted they were driving the team to new heights...We are not seeing that with this the worlds greatest prospect pool.

Reactions: Billdo and mdj12784

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I agree that at 20 years old those guys were better prospects than Zetterlund.

I would say putting them all at the same age as Zetterlund now, I think Josefson may be the only guy still ahead of him and arguably none of them are ahead.

Tedenby was moving backwards in the organization.

Josefson was having trouble scoring in the NHL and was scoring “ok” in the AHL.

Quenville was crushing the AHL but was doing nothing in the NHL after a few chances.

Zetterlund had his first crushing season in the AHL and came up and scored at a better NHL clip than any of the prior 3 were able to generate.

————

So yes, I think looking at them all at the same time, Zetterlund would probably be the most promising prospect. The other 3 guys were stagnant or got worse and Zetterlund improve his stock.
Completely agree re: Zetterlund being on the upswing v our other former favorite Swedes declining.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Maclean, Verbeek, and Muller mention

Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-11.22.14-AM-800x526.png

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It makes sense...They have been a bottom 5 team most of the last 8 years...That's why this isn't impressive...Not at all - Not even slightly. It is mandatory.

The prospect pool is basically ranked where they have been picking for almost a decade now. If it wasn't 3-5 and we were a bottom 5 team for the last 8 years might as well just pack up and move the franchise...

But that is also the rub...We've been at this world's greatest pool thing for a while now...And aside from 2 #1OA and Bratt maybe Sharongovich, what have we really seen as tangible success from this pool?

It's great to keep calling the prospect "Best in the League" but when does that start pay dividends? I have literally asked the question for at least 4 years and the on ice result never changes.

3 or 4 years in from when guys like Maclean, Verbeek, Muller were drafted they were driving the team to new heights...We are not seeing that with this the worlds greatest prospect pool.
Which is it, this "prospect pool is no different than 5 years ago" or "it is because of course it is"?

You can jump to different points, I promise. But please pick one of those and then go off.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maclean, Verbeek, and Muller mention
It's is the only reference I know in my life time when the Devils record was close to as bad as it is now.

Difference is when we were picking high then will got better each and every year....Here we've gotten worse each and every years since 2018 - I don't think that is how it's supposed to work?

Reactions: mdj12784

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Soo Marino... excited to see what he can do in maybe a bit of a lesser role. Last few seasons he was 3rd on the Pens defense for TOI/g so having Hamilton and Severson take on bigger minutes could help Marino flourish a bit more.

Shut down teams' bottom 6 lines, transition up ice quick, score! It'll almost be too easy!

Really good point, Cheddabombs! I too am excited to see what Marino can do as more of a 3rd pairing guy. Do you think he plays well enough to even challenge for bigger minutes?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Which is it, this "prospect pool is no different than 5 years ago" or "it is because of course it is"?

You can jump to different points, I promise. But please pick one of those and then go off.
I just reread m post from the last 3 page twice I can't find where I said "prospect pool is no different than 5 years ago" ? What are you referring to? I have actually said the opposite on numerous occasions though?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's is the only reference I know in my life time when the Devils record was close to as bad as it is now.

Difference is when we were picking high then will got better each and every year....Here we've gotten worse each and every years since 2018 - I don't think that is how it's supposed to work?

More parity back then and now and not every team in the league takes the same path to contention. The Avs took Landeskog 2nd overall, MacK 1st overall, Rantanen 9th overall, Makar 4th overall within a 6 year span. Said it before, there's other teams that would kill for our situation, we just need these kids to prove that they're the core which I believe they will.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I just reread m post from the last 3 page twice I can't find where I said "prospect pool is no different than 5 years ago" ? What are you referring to? I have actually said the opposite on numerous occasions though?
Well you said they were "stacked and fall away." Like it will be a repeat of last time, implying it's the same. We aren't a playoff team, but we have the best crop of prospects we've seen in a very long time if ever. If you response to that is "we've heard that before" than you are trying to say it's the same.

Reactions: Guttersniped

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Well you said they were "stacked and fall away." Like it will be a repeat of last time, implying it's the same. We aren't a playoff team, but we have the best crop of prospects we've seen in a very long time if ever. If you response to that is "we've heard that before" than you are trying to say it's the same.
Repeat of last time? When was last time?

The Devils picked fourth overall in 2011 and then not high again until 2015. 2017 was the start of the rebuild we are in now.

Unless 'last time' is referring to the 80s? Lol

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Repeat of last time? When was last time?

The Devils picked fourth overall in 2011 and then not high again until 2015. 2017 was the start of the rebuild we are in now.

Unless 'last time' is referring to the 80s? Lol
Last time people said our prospect pool was "stacked" at any position and then most to all didn't pan out. I'm not making a point there, trying to keep the conversation on track to actually get to an end point for once.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No it's not implying anything other than what has occurred.

Just like for the last 3/4 years I have been hearing LHD Stacked too. Position of Strength Blah, Blah, BLah... The best it has to offer right now is Bahl and Okhotyuk...Marginal at best... The best prospect of the group was traded and probably is a bust.

And Vukojevic(on his way), Bernard, Chainey, Hellickson, Rykov, Davies just fade away....Until the next best batch.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Just like for the last 3/4 years I have been hearing LHD Stacked too. Position of Strength Blah, Blah, BLah... The best it has to offer right now is Bahl and Okhotyuk...Marginal at best... The best prospect of the group was traded and probably is a bust.

And Vukojevic(on his way), Bernard, Chainey, Hellickson, Rykov, Davies just fade away....Until the next best batch.
I searched all over that post and didn't see Luke, was that a mistake?

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Devils Twitter claims his name is Josh now? Maybe they should stop using auto correct.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Again - for the people that are saying none of this is a problem for the board, this is the John Marino trade thread getting derailed by one person throwing a tantrum about Ray Shero and John Quenneville and drafting goalies.
M ost of you
A re brainwashed by
R ays drafting
I n the last few years
N ice things, we cannot have
O n this forum

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Ah, yes, what defensive prospect pool isn’t built on players drafted at 4th Rd #110, 7th Rd #191, 7th Rd #214, 5th Rd #132 and 7th Rd #192.

Where’s Zaitsev? Why didn’t you name every 7th round LHD?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Maybe it’s more just a negative vibe check? And the specifics don’t matter?

I’m guessing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad