Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire John Marino for Ty Smith & a 2023 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Go look at his Goals Against/60 throughout his entire career and compare it to your favorite defenders. He's sub 1 most of his career...with really high Dzone starts...55 range.

I'd take him on my team any day.
He’s also a dirty POS, and I’m personally glad I don’t have to root for him on my team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He’s also a dirty POS, and I’m personally glad I don’t have to root for him on my team.
It's good to have a dirty PoS on your team. I wish we had one. Seriously I am not even joking.

You telling me that you wouldn't take a in his prime Corey Perry or a Brad Marchand?

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
It's good to have a dirty PoS on your team. I wish we had one. Seriously I am not even joking.

You telling me that you wouldn't take a in his prime Corey Perry or a Brad Marchand?
Sure, doesn’t mean it wouldn’t feel a little gross cheering for a known headhunter, though.

I’d rather have guys that play with an edge, but don’t constantly cross that line.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I would take them because they were excellent players. Trouba is really mediocre and makes way too much money for what he brings.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I find it interesting that everyone here has Fox as "definitely/obviously better then Hamilton".

I get that Fox is really good and Hamilton just had an injury riddled season, but when we signed Hamilton the consensus was he was one of the top d-men in the league.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Trouba sucks. I couldn't even begin to imagine the backlash he'd receive if he played for us.
From the JFresh geeks maybe.

I tried out the hypothesis that Rag fans would have Trouba as the first guy out the door given their cap crunch and that fell completely flat. They love him.

shit, we had pepe on the team at various times
Different era and the hits were legal, but Scott Stevens was ruining careers all over the place.

Reactions: njdevils1982

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
This is some spectacular work by Fitz. I've seen some say this is an equal trade for both teams, but I really think we fleeced the Pens.

Getting a RD who will be our shut-down guy and can take hard minutes away from Dougie and Nemec will be very valuable. The fact that he is 25 and locked up for 5 years at a reasonable cap hit makes it even better.
i couldn't agree more. I think Smith is going to bust. perhaps he can find a system that shelters him in someway. but you don't trade a 22 yr old first round pick dman if you think he is any good. the fact that marino is a top 4 and we got him for who in my opinion will be lucky to crack an NHL lineup moving forward is huge. obviously i could be wrong about smith but i think he is a bust.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Brendan Smith is an extra defensemen type. There are going to be injuries which then blows what paper depth that is to pieces.

We should be past the point of wanting to collect first round picks (and I’m not sure he even has 1st round pick value). It’s time for the organization to do something, which means keeping guys who can actually help in the near term. If he walks next year, fine the internal replacement (Nemac) should be ready.

They trade him and are competitive, guess what then they are probably looking to acquire a Damon Severson type at the deadline. Start the year with him and see how things play out. If the kids absolutely push and show they are players you can deal him mid-year to open up spots.
No NHL teams keeps a top-4 dman as reserve for possible injuries nor play them on their third pair when they have made the playoffs once in ten years.

We arent Tampa Bay on the cusp. Get the 1st+ and move on

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
From the JFresh geeks maybe.

I tried out the hypothesis that Rag fans would have Trouba as the first guy out the door given their cap crunch and that fell completely flat. They love him.

Different era and the hits were legal, but Scott Stevens was ruining careers all over the place.
Stevens wasn’t head hunting, though. Trouba’s elbows were like guided missiles this entire postseason.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Stevens wasn’t head hunting, though. Trouba’s elbows were like guided missiles this entire postseason.
I'm going to say Stevens knew darn well where his shoulders were going. Yes a shoulder, and not an elbow, but he knew what he was doing.

And it was a different time, concussions were looked at differently, I knew I loved watching it back then, but he was wrecking high end players careers.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I find it interesting that everyone here has Fox as "definitely/obviously better then Hamilton".

I get that Fox is really good and Hamilton just had an injury riddled season, but when we signed Hamilton the consensus was he was one of the top d-men in the league.
I think when he’s healthy and right, he’s in the second-ish tier of top dmen. Makar and Hedman are probably in their own tier, and then Hamilton is near the next group with McAvoy, Fox, and the other top guys. Maybe just below that group which is still probably top 15 or so.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is some spectacular work by Fitz. I've seen some say this is an equal trade for both teams, but I really think we fleeced the Pens.

Getting a RD who will be our shut-down guy and can take hard minutes away from Dougie and Nemec will be very valuable. The fact that he is 25 and locked up for 5 years at a reasonable cap hit makes it even better.
Those people, and the Pens apparently, are still working off the predraft scouting reports for Smith.

Pronman was still talking about Smith as a strong skater with good speed. I mean c'mon.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
The Devils want him to get resigned. I also never said him and the devils were close although they could be, we don’t really know. But if you’re filing for arbitration you and don’t have a great case which I doubt Bratt would you’re forcing yourself into a contract that’s potentially much lower than what you wanted and leaving dollars on the table.

He also doesn’t necessarily want to have short deal to get to UFA. He just had a huge career year that he’s far from guarenteed to repeat and he could very reasonably be looking to cash in on that.

The Devils don’t want to go into next season without Bratt signed just as much as Bratt wants to have a contract. It’s a two way street and two party negotiation.

Arbitration is only a huge bargaining chip if the team is giving you lower than your value offers and you have a good arbitration case that would bring that number up significantly. I don’t think that’s the case with Bratt at all. He could very likely be leaving a ton of money on the table by going through arbitration.

We’ll see tomorrow.

All 3 eligible Devils players filed for arbitration.

Really was never in doubt for Bratt who's arbitration award would easily be more than his QO. Much more sense for a guy like Tkachuk to not file and just keep the QO as a bargaining chip as unlikely to get an arbitration award above his QO.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’m not a big Shero apologist, but I do think context matters. Shero’s job was basically to stock the cupboards. Fitz’s job is to make sure we have the right mix of ingredients. I can see the argument that these are two different tasks.

Of course, other than Ty Smith, Fitz has remade the D without using any prospect assets - it’s just cap space and draft picks, both of which Shero had access to. So, I think the Shero argument only go so far.
He has also used draft picks to remake the D organizationally though, given Luke, Nemec and maybe even Muk. That's three first-rounders on D including two top five picks. It's just those guys haven't become part of the mix yet.

Reactions: tailfins

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’d just like to point something out. What Fitz is doing here is real team building. You can see that he’s trying to put together a well balanced roster. He sees the specific gaps in the balance and is addressing them.

This is a night and day difference from how Shero operated, whose MO was basically “who’s the best player I can get for the best value, without regard for how my team is already constructed or what our needs are”.

I just want to say I really appreciate what Fitz is doing right now. Just a breath of fresh air for an organization that has seemed to rudderless for so long. I was worried about the Palat signing but in the context of the other moves so far I feel better about it now. The next step is to apply the same process to the coaching staff.

For the first time in a long while I have some optimism.

Because he has the pieces to do so. Trading Ty Smith for John Marino would've caused a revolt among Devils fans just a year ago. Smith getting worse enables this sort of deal, but also so does having 3 picks in the top 10 and 2 other 1st round picks besides that in the last 3 drafts - the Devils don't have to hang on to every young player hoping they're good.

When your needs are 'literally everything' it's hard to know where to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad