Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The beauty of being a fan is that i don't play the games and there is no pressure on me. I can be as arrogant and confident as i want because it doesn't really disturb my life either way. I sat through plenty of disappointing losses and seasons with all my sports teams (Yankees, Giants, Rangers) i hope for the best and that's it. Some overconfident douche like me on the internet isn't changing any outcome of anything. Some fans get wrapped up in predictions as if it means anything anyway.
I'm Mets - Rangers - Jets. I know from losing. Still confident and see no reason to downplay our chances here.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Wildly different opinions about this series.

I'm actually taken aback by some of the confidence in here. I like it - and I really hope those picking the Rangers in 4 or 5 are right!

Personally I think this is going to be a tough series to win. Any series here on out will be tough. The Caps were the weakest team in the tournament by far and the Rangers dispatched them as they should have in 4.

The Canes have some pieces that scare me but also have some that can be exploited. I see this going 6 or 7.

If you can't be confident now, you never can be.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024

I'm actually taken aback by some of the confidence in here. I like it - and I really hope those picking the Rangers in 4 or 5 are right!

Personally I think this is going to be a tough series to win. Any series here on out will be tough. The Caps were the weakest team in the tournament by far and the Rangers dispatched them as they should have in 4.

The Canes have some pieces that scare me but also have some that can be exploited. I see this going 6 or 7.
I got Rangers in 5. I think we come in ready for Carolina with all the time off and beat the shit out of them. We know what to expect. Same as 94, sweep round 1, 5 games round 2 and round 3 is where it gets tough for us.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My original post wasn't directed toward you but it certainly feels like an "honest discussion" about the Rangers means we have to shit on them and I dont abide that. It's been a decade since we won our last Prez trophy and 13 years since we swept a first round series. We did both this year. Sue me for having confidence in our team. Did the Canes? Why do I have to slobber all over another team that's never won shit and dives and cries all over the ice. f*** them. We are better. We will win. If we don't, it's massive disappointment on our part and you can tell me you told me so in 2 weeks.
I don't wanna shit on anybody. Except DeAngelo so I hope he plays.

All I said yesterday, which seemed to set people off, is that I think their roster might be a hair better.

You can certainly disagree with that, but I don't think it's 1) egregious or 2) shitting on the Rangers, or 3) slobbering over the Canes.

I like to look at large samples. Over the last three years, the teams with the most wins are Boston, Colorado, Carolina, Florida, and the Rangers.

I've said it before: I don't really care about Boston at all when the chips are down, so take them out. So what's that, 2 vs 4? Or maybe 3 vs 4? Or 1 vs 2? Or 2 vs 1! Put it in any order you want.

Point is, it's 2 of the top 5 teams playing each other. I think most people would agree with that.

The only reason I brought up them being a bit better on paper, was to point out that we've shown that we handle adversity better than they do, we've won the matchup in the past, and we have a style that gives them fits, just like the Caps were kind of annoying against us even though we got it done.

There was a huge BUT there and everyone focused on before the but.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I got Rangers in 5. I think we come in ready for Carolina with all the time off and beat the shit out of them. We know what to expect. Same as 94, sweep round 1, 5 games round 2 and round 3 is where it gets tough for us.
I will Venmo you a six pack after game 5

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And I only did "I told you so" with Tampa going out early because people were being massive bitches about playing them.

People who have confidence in the team should agree with me on that one.

Reactions: bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I think the canes have one line that can compete with ours.
I think we have a better middle.
And the canes fourth is better.

The system the canes play can be shut down and anderson has a great playoff history but he’s never healthy.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Gotta get in Freddies kitchen. He seems to get hot against us, keep him looking for the puck all series.

Oh yea Rangers in 5 with a bunch of OT games.

Reactions: McRanger92

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

All I said yesterday, which seemed to set people off, is that I think their roster might be a hair better.

You can certainly disagree with that, but I don't think it's 1) egregious or 2) shitting on the Rangers, or 3) slobbering over the Canes.

I like to look at large samples. Over the last three years, the teams with the most wins are Boston, Colorado, Carolina, Florida, and the Rangers.

I've said it before: I don't really care about Boston at all when the chips are down, so take them out. So what's that, 2 vs 4? Or maybe 3 vs 4? Or 1 vs 2? Or 2 vs 1! Put it in any order you want.

Point is, it's 2 of the top 5 teams playing each other. I think most people would agree with that.

The only reason I brought up them being a bit better on paper, was to point out that we've shown that we handle adversity better than they do, we've won the matchup in the past, and we have a style that gives them fits, just like the Caps were kind of annoying against us even though we got it done.

He got slashed in the hand and he was getting xrays last night. Im not sure of the results.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Again anything I said was not directed at you, but I understand fans frustration when it seems like we are constantly being told that our eyes are lying to us. For the last 3 years (3 100+ point seasons coming out of a rebuild that was a resounding success by every measure), so it's not a new thing. There is a middle ground between being realistic about a series and also going out of the way to say fans being positive and confident are "unprepared" for the next round. Its not the first rodeo for anyone here. The series isnt over if we lose Game 1.

He got slashed in the hand and he was getting xrays last night. Im not sure of the results.

Canes praying the x-rays are positive

• Haha
Reactions: PuckLuck3043

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gotta get in Freddies kitchen. He seems to get hot against us, keep him looking for the puck all series.

Oh yea Rangers in 5 with a bunch of OT games.

9-6-3 with a .904 sv% for his career. So basically .500 and well below his career .916.

I mean it doesn't really matter as I've seen this team light the f*** out of elite goalies and also generate nothing and build the legend of goalies who are not going to have significant NHL careers (Schmid) but if you want to lean on history, the Rangers haven't had a ton of trouble getting puck by him.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

and then there's those of us who always focus on the huge BUT....

dog-licking-lips.gif

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Again anything I said was not directed at you, but I understand fans frustration when it seems like we are constantly being told that our eyes are lying to us. For the last 3 years (3 100+ point seasons coming out of a rebuild that was a resounding success by every measure), so it's not a new thing. There is a middle ground between being realistic about a series and also going out of the way to say fans being positive and confident are "unprepared" for the next round. Its not the first rodeo for anyone here. The series isnt over if we lose Game 1.
For the usual suspects it will be. They will be on the ledge.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Likewise, that wasn't particularly directed at anyone.

There are definitely people here who will be trading the team after game 1. Hell, we could win game 1 and it'll happen.

People said "I just want a short series" and then we won a couple and it was "now I expect a sweep" and then we actually did it and it turns into "yeah but we didn't play that good."

It's not so much positive people, it's people who put expectations in outer space and then will 180 and be insufferable when it doesn't happen.

I don't see it as a referendum on the team if they lose a close series to an excellent team. Maybe it's a referendum on Panarin if that ends up being the reason. We'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad