Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
I just wanted to say, you have a habit of repeating the same exact thing about a hundred times.
Here's an example below and many more which I didn't copy.
Not that you're wrong but... we get it.

200w.gif

Reactions: BlackDogg

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I'm sure they don't but they have very little control over things.

I don't get the "loyalty" that is expected from players. I know he wouldn't but if McDavid stood up and said something, things would change in an instant.

The army expects us to bring up things that don't work, we are told all the time to voice our opinions (in the appropriate ways of course). I don't understand why the hockey community expects dictatorship style loyalty.

Reactions: Hippasus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True enough, but I just can't fathom how all of this stuff is accepted. You can't tell me that the players enjoy playing this way, either.

you can't tell me that the players enjoy playing with this lineup. How bad would this team be without McD.

This is a Frankenstein lineup that makes no sense. Its isn't any one thing. Its seems like a collection of whatever Chia threw in.

In contrast what works in NJ is that they actually had a plan of what kind of team they wanted, brought in players to play that scheme, and have a well designed game plan for their lineup. I don't get any of that sense even going on in Edmonton from management on. I get a sense of Chia trying to replicate what occurred in Boston almost a decade ago.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
you can't tell me that the players enjoy playing with this lineup. How bad would this team be without McD.

This is a Frankenstein lineup that makes no sense. Its isn't any one thing. Its seems like a collection of whatever Chia threw in.

In contrast what works in NJ is that they actually had a plan of what kind of team they wanted, brought in players to play that scheme, and have a well designed game plan for their lineup. I don't get any of that sense even going on in Edmonton from management on. I get a sense of Chia trying to replicate what occurred in Boston almost a decade ago.

He's a fraud anyway, just like Todd. These guys never built shit. He was gift wrapped 85% of that Bruins core, anyone who wants to keep denying that is just lying to themselves. Anyone who actually does their homework and researches what happened in Boston will see that Gorton actually made many of the key moves for that franchise.

Both Peter and Todd are phonies and it will take probably a few years to recover from the damage they've wrought on this franchise.

Both Chiarelli and McLellan are getting exposed in Edmonton for the frauds they are. They can't cut it here when they aren't gift wrapped a well balanced team from day 1 and actually have to do some work.

All they ever did in Boston and San Jose was take a pre-made cake and put some icing on it and take credit for the entire cake. We got suckered into hiring both these chumps.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I think Chia’s original plan was to build a 2010 Bruins style team around Mcdavid. A big, heavy, slow team that will grind the other team down while Mcdavid works his magic. Now that the NHL is more of a speed game, PC is just trying to patch things as he goes. The funny thing is that we were building team for today’s game back when big and slow was the winning formula. If PC kept the team he inherited back in 2015 and only changed the goaltender we’d probably be a Cup contender right now.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Is it still a "kneejerk reaction" when you see an almost identical roster that failed for 82 games last season come out and fail for the 83rd time?
Yeah because we lost 82 games straight last year. :rolleyes:

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I think Chia’s original plan was to build a 2010 Bruins style team around Mcdavid. A big, heavy, slow team that will grind the other team down while Mcdavid works his magic. Now that the NHL is more of a speed game, PC is just trying to patch things as he goes. The funny thing is that we were building team for today’s game back when big and slow was the winning formula. If PC kept the team he inherited back in 2015 and only changed the goaltender we’d probably be a Cup contender right now.

You still have to beat LA, Ducks, SJ, Blues etc.
We match up better now agsint them than we used to. It's when we play teams like the Devils we get exposed. Thankfully we only play them twice.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He also was extremely lucky in Boston that gifting away Kessel by fluke allowed them to get Seguin. That very easily could have gone another way.

He never learned his lesson from giving away Kessel, Wheeler, Seguin, etc. and assumed he could just do the same in Edmonton.

Well it's not so easy when you don't have Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Rask/Thomas, etc. already gift wrapped for you.

Here the core group was not as solid in every position and his reckless management style of losing trades and throwing away big dollars has come back to haunt him. He had a lot of rope in Boston thanks to a rock solid core and the ability for the Bruins to attract a big time no.1 D UFA like Chara in his prime. Take that away from him and he's exposed as a failure.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Is it game day yet?

This might be the first time a post game thread needs to be re-opened as a second thread. lol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There’s still a lot of potential with this team. We have a very solid, future top 4 in Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson and Bouchard (who I think will become a 1D). Plus our center depth is one of the best in the league. All we need is our wingers to step up and consistent goaltending and we will be a very dangerous team.

Reactions: Hippasus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There’s still a lot of potential with this team. We have a very solid, future top 4 in Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson and Bouchard (who I think will become a 1D). Plus our center depth is one of the best in the league. All we need is our wingers to step up and consistent goaltending and we will be a very dangerous team.

Probably will require a few years though. Bouchard is very young and you need to give a D-Man a few years to learn the ropes at least.

Winger depth will likely take a few years now to recover from the damage caused by this management. The next GM is going to likely have to spend most of his first season getting rid of a lot of the garbage on this roster and clearing out players so he has cap flexibility.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

Our center depth isn’t one of the best in the league IMO.

You have Mcdavid which is a given. But Draisaitl has struggled and Strome and Brodziak aren’t really anything to write home about.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Our center depth isn’t one of the best in the league IMO.

You have Mcdavid which is a given. But Draisaitl has struggled and Strome and Brodziak aren’t really anything to write home about.

Draisaitl has back to back 70 point seasons, that isn’t struggling. He played bad in Gane 1 this year but he still had 3 points. You also forgot to mention RNH.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl has back to back 70 point seasons, that isn’t struggling. He played bad in Gane 1 this year but he still had 3 points. You also forgot to mention RNH.

I love Leon but he generated 0 that game without McDavid aside from one set up to Yamamoto once the game was long over.

You don't have elite center depth if 2/3 centers have to play with McDavid to perform at a high level.

I don't doubt RNH and Draisaitl can be 70 and 80 point players ... the problem is the lineup has to be this:

RNH McDavid Draisaitl
Crap Line 2
Don't Ask
Meh 4th Line

For that to happen as this team is presently constructed. Destroying our winger depth was a huge mistake.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I love Leon but he generated 0 that game without McDavid aside from one set up to Yamamoto once the game was long over.

You don't have elite center depth if 2/3 centers have to play with McDavid to perform at a high level.

I don't doubt RNH and Draisaitl can be 70 and 80 point players ... the problem is the lineup has to be this:

RNH McDavid Draisaitl
Crap Line 2
Crap Line 3
Don't Ask

For that to happen as this team is presently constructed. Destroying our winger depth was a huge mistake.
you have to be a bot....no one in the history of HF boards repeats the same content as you in every post

if literally say nothing new in any of your posts and probably think the more you repeat yourself, the likely a change will occur

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
you have to be a bot....no one in the history of HF boards repeats the same content as you in every post

if literally say nothing new in any of your posts and probably think the more you repeat yourself, the likely a change will occur

The point is legitimate, sorry you don't like it but you're the one that spent all summer telling us to drink the kool-aid.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
You still have to beat LA, Ducks, SJ, Blues etc.
We match up better now agsint them than we used to. It's when we play teams like the Devils we get exposed. Thankfully we only play them twice.

what a load of crap. we get exposed by 80% of the league

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You must like McLellan. Team completely dogs it and gets outworked in every facet of the game and your message is;

"Stay positive, Things that were positive, Really nice to see, it takes time, make better decisions, break bad habits."

"The team was forcing the issue and pressing the devils, just need to settle down, focus on little things, Keep working, that's the key, they can turn it around, just keep the resolve."

haha

You're a walking hand book of unconditional regard infused with Toddisms in this post. You must be listening to a lot of his pressers.

I don't buy it. I didn't see a team effort, didn't see desperation, I didn't see a team going the extra mile, or any mile, for their comrades in a game played in Sweden.

Finally what could somebody possibly like about the play of the 3rd line. I thought Strome and Khaira got very little done in this game. Our entire bottomsix got outworked all over the ice.
What bothers me the most is the lack of desperation. This was such a noticeable problem last year. So much so that Nicholson, Chiarelli and Mclellan all made the point that it was all on the players. They were overconfident, not ready, unfocused, thought it would be easier, etc, etc. They and the players talked this preseason about being hungry and excited to get back on the ice to prove they were better than what they showed last season. I didn’t see any hunger or desperation. I saw a team that looked like it was overwhelmed and going through the motions just like it did last year.

This isn’t a temporary problem. This is what they are. You can’t change the players but you can try a new coach. Maybe that works, maybe it doesn’t. What’s clear to me is that it isn’t changing as it is. We waited all season for it to happen last year.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
What bothers me the most is the lack of desperation. This was such a noticeable problem last year. So much so that Nicholson, Chiarelli and Mclellan all made the point that it was all on the players. They were overconfident, not ready, unfocused, thought it would be easier, etc, etc. They and the players talked this preseason about being hungry and excited to get back on the ice to prove they were better than what they showed last season. I didn’t see any hunger or desperation. I saw a team that looked like it was overwhelmed and going through the motions just like it did last year.

This isn’t a temporary problem. This is what they are. You can’t change the players but you can try a new coach. Maybe that works, maybe it doesn’t. What’s clear to me is that it isn’t changing as it is. We waited all season for it to happen last year.

Blaming the players is the biggest cop out ever. That's like a manager blaming the employees he hired for their crappy work. I've worked with some dumbass people (I've spent 17 years in the army, I've worked with guys who stuck his hand into a air conditioner because he wanted to see how deep the hole went), but when I get tasked to do something, the blame falls on me when it doesn't get done properly. It does not matter that I'm saddled with incompetency sometimes (I'm sure sometimes I'm the incompetent one), I have to find what my guys & girls are good at and focus on their strengths to get the job done. We've watched this coach long enough to know that he isn't trying to find what works with his players, he's trying to make his players do what he thinks works (which at this point would require a DeLorean going 88mph).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad