Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jersey is also just freaking fast. They're a way faster team than us. It's easy to play that style when you have the horses to do it.

Or two to three PMD that are good at. Anybody remember me saying Greene has always been a better D than Larsson and was the Devils linchpin D. Its always been the case.

Even years later Greene is still looking better and he's not even in prime. Greene used to be be better than he is now, think about that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't mean any disrespect but I have a different opinion.

I've been reading these boards for years, enjoying the posts, but have only recently started to list regularly.

What gets me is that a lot of posters bi**h about others who post doom and gloom or at ones that post nothing but positivity. Consider this - what the hell would we all read, consider, argue, and respond to if no one did?

This is an extremely passionate fan base that I consider myself lucky to share my passion. I want the complaints and welcome the honest feedback so I can ponder if I agree or not with the viewpoint of other fans. I also want to be honest and critique this teams performance, managements decisions, and overall product anyway I see fit.

Doesn't mean I'm any less invested in them.

slow clap

it means you're an excellent, mature reader, and writer, and you have an open mind. Its what it means. Myself and others welcome you posting more frequently on the board I'm sure. If its not apparent its posters like yourself that can offer a range of feedback, and that gets accepted, considered.

Plus your so danged pleasant and the slapshot narrative. I mean c'mon. ;)

Mez

Nov 16, 2017

I've been reading these boards for years, enjoying the posts, but have only recently started to list regularly.

What gets me is that a lot of posters bi**h about others who post doom and gloom or at ones that post nothing but positivity. Consider this - what the hell would we all read, consider, argue, and respond to if no one did?

This is an extremely passionate fan base that I consider myself lucky to share my passion. I want the complaints and welcome the honest feedback so I can ponder if I agree or not with the viewpoint of other fans. I also want to be honest and critique this teams performance, managements decisions, and overall product anyway I see fit.

You extrapolated a lot of information/insinuations from my very short post. But I agree with most of what you said.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Well said

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I dont know whats worse, the way the Oilers played....or the state of HFoil.

Just wait until 1pm. The "guys its only 1 game, its beauty, we're great, we're just where we want to be" will come flocking in. Late because they're hungover drowning miseries.

;)

I hope people recognize I'm tongue in cheek with this but it is how this board works, it goes in waves. It always does.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
When the Oilers quick read, quick break out quick tempo flow strategy was announced you might remember I had two main criticisms of it;

1) We still lack puck handling goalies to help stop up and move that puck quickly to D and the get the break out rolling.

2) We lack any D that are actual PMD that happen to be good at quick reads and break out passes. Jebus Draisaitl or McD is our breakout on almost all of our successful rushes.

As a result I'd mentioned that this would result in us making rushed, careless plays, turnovers, and GA because we don't have the personnel to execute. Alas Talbot causing a goal last night and at least one other bad break out, arguably 2, contributing to GA.

I further mentioned that the players unable to play the break out as schemed would divert to adopting what they think to be low risk plays along the boards. They would defer to baseline default. This is all happened in one game.

Is there really a new scheme? I still see the wingers going to the boards and waiting for those rings around. That's the actual plan. And we've been doing it so long now that the opposing players are jumping on, or just right in front of that standing still winger to kill the play over and over. The D make those passes as if it's programmed into their minds that it's supposed to work. I think this is actually one of the go-to plays Mclellan wants guys to do. If the wingers are looking for that play on the boards, that's one less guy trying to make himself available off the boards.

All I really heard details about for a new scheme was the new swarm D where we were gonna start overloading more in our end (yay for our players bunching up more, making exits off the boards even harder). And the new and improved dump and chase where we're just gonna try even harder than ever to chase those dumps down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Is there really a new scheme? I still see the wingers going to the boards and waiting for those rings around. That's the actual plan. And we've been doing it so long now that the opposing players are jumping on, or just right in front of that standing still winger to kill the play over and over. The D make those passes as if it's programmed into their minds that it's supposed to work. I think this is actually one of the go-to plays Mclellan wants guys to do. If the wingers are looking for that play on the boards, that's one less guy trying to make himself available off the boards.

All I really heard details about for a new scheme was the new swarm D where we were gonna start overloading more in our end (yay for our players bunching up more, making exits off the boards even harder). And the new and improved dump and chase where we're just gonna try even harder than ever to chase those dumps down.

Me too. And it doesn't work. Hasn't before either. I said earlier to watch other teams D. I would trust that our coaching staff does and soon takes note of others constant success.

Maybe I'm assuming too much. Probably!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
When it's game 1 of the season, taking a period off, their 2nd period in 6 months, I'd say that's a disaster. I've watched a lot of hockey the last couple days and every other team has high energy and compete while we looked like a team in the middle of February already out of the playoff race.

No doubt they had a bad period and it cost them the game... to a man I bet the Oilers would admit the same thing.

If every other team has looked decent (not sure if that's even accurate as some other teams have laid eggs already as well)... but if true, then that's more argument that the Oilers 1st game showing is more likely to be a one-off event rather than entirely indicative of their play for the rest of the season. They could have another underperforming mediocre year... but in my view, this sample of 1 game is much too small to tell us that with any certainty.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No doubt they had a bad period and it cost them the game... to a man I bet the Oilers would admit the same thing.

If every other team has looked decent (not sure if that's even accurate as some other teams have laid eggs already as well)... but if true, then that's more argument that the Oilers 1st game showing is more likely to be a one-off event rather than entirely indicative of their play for the rest of the season. They could have another underperforming mediocre year... but in my view, this sample of 1 game is much too small to tell us that with any certainty.
I think based on last year this game can tell us a lot. The players came into camp saying last year was a one off, they want to come in and make the fans proud, they want to start on the right foot. Tons saying they had great off seasons, felt great etc. First chance they have to show us they have changed in a game that matters they get outplayed and outshot where they had 3 pps to none. Get massively outshot and outplayed in the second period and then they tie in shots in the third when Jersey has taken their foot off and just played with the league, even then Jersey was the better team in the third.

If the team came out with a good effort but lost then sure, I'd give them slack. But they didn't. They didn't give a shit for 30% of the game and didn't really play until the game was already over. We saw that tons of times last year and if the players want to show us it's different, they started off entirely on the wrong foot.

We can say sure it's one game but for this team and fan base, it's like when your drunk friend says he has changed and is sober and the first time you hang with him since then he is doing a keg stand.

This team hasn't changed and if they have, they need to do a lot to prove it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think based on last year this game can tell us a lot. The players came into camp saying last year was a one off, they want to come in and make the fans proud, they want to start on the right foot. Tons saying they had great off seasons, felt great etc. First chance they have to show us they have changed in a game that matters they get outplayed and outshot where they had 3 pps to none. Get massively outshot and outplayed in the second period and then they tie in shots in the third when Jersey has taken their foot off and just played with the league, even then Jersey was the better team in the third.

If the team came out with a good effort but lost then sure, I'd give them slack. But they didn't. They didn't give a **** for 30% of the game and didn't really play until the game was already over. We saw that tons of times last year and if the players want to show us it's different, they started off entirely on the wrong foot.

We can say sure it's one game but for this team and fan base, it's like when your drunk friend says he has changed and is sober and the first time you hang with him since then he is doing a keg stand.

This team hasn't changed and if they have, they need to do a lot to prove it.

I hear you but then there's the thought that do you really think a team can turn around that mediocrity in 1 game? Is it possible the will and desire is actually there but the actuality of making that happen isn't yet able to occur over the 1st 60 minutes of hockey in their very first "real" outing... especially when in strange surroundings of being in an overseas city after just travelling from another overseas city in an environment where at least some of the emphasis of that overseas experience was to "have fun" and spread the game of hockey as NHL ambassadors.

I don't think it's even a matter of cutting slack at this point... it's just realizing that the drunk can be 100% onboard with his recovery and doing his best... but he's going to stumble and f*** up at least somewhat and not be able to make a 100% turnaround overnight.

Let's get this team of drunks back from overseas and into rehab again (at least another couple practices and a couple more games on North American soil) before we say they are incurable alcoholics.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Or two to three PMD that are good at. Anybody remember me saying Greene has always been a better D than Larsson and was the Devils linchpin D. Its always been the case.

Even years later Greene is still looking better and he's not even in prime. Greene used to be be better than he is now, think about that.
I agree and disagree. I followed NJD alot before and think Greene is and has been one of the most underrated D in the league for years. He is one of my favorites and he was a very good top pair D for a long time and would be a better partner to Larsson than anyone on the Oilers even now. That said, Larsson surpassed him in 15/16, not by a lot, but a bit. That is my opinion of course but I think it was quite clear even for someone without bias (like me) :)

Anyhow, I am still more and more convinced that there is a system that they are asked to play which does not work. This is not just about Larsson, but I have seen fwds doing much better internationally, playing a fast game which we've still never even sniffed in Edm, and D who all of a sudden plays good in breaking out the puck or skating it out. Something that rarely happens here. It's very annoying and somewhat confusing.

Edit: on another note, I do share the concern about his back. If that does not hold ... well, that would be a disaster.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
you guys are out after the losses, and disappear after a winning streak.

Nope. I've seen them here. That arguments invalid.
As for me I am just starting to post more and will hopefully do so after wins as well.

I don't like posting during game as I'm often behind and like to catch up on posters thoughts between periods if possible. If not then I want to post my thoughts soon afterward.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a lot of your posts in here.

Reactions: Aerrol and Mez

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Nope. I've seen them here. That arguments invalid.
As for me I am just starting to post more and will hopefully do so after wins as well.

I don't like posting during game as I'm often behind and like to catch up on posters thoughts between periods if possible. If not then I want to post my thoughts soon afterward.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a lot of your posts in here.

look at my post history, I mainly post in here over a span of 12 years and another 3 years before that under a different name. I tend to watch the game and don't feel the need to say the sky is falling. obviously im not happy with the team as is, but my bitching won't change anything. I also enjoy the games for what they are, entertainment. If the Oilers lose or win it doesn't change the fact the sun rises the next morning and I need to go to work. So I just watch the games and try to get entertainment out of watching the sport.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I hear you but then there's the thought that do you really think a team can turn around that mediocrity in 1 game? Is it possible the will and desire is actually there but the actuality of making that happen isn't yet able to occur over the 1st 60 minutes of hockey in their very first "real" outing... especially when in strange surroundings of being in an overseas city after just travelling from another overseas city in an environment where at least some of the emphasis of that overseas experience was to "have fun" and spread the game of hockey as NHL ambassadors.

I don't think it's even a matter of cutting slack at this point... it's just realizing that the drunk can be 100% onboard with his recovery and doing his best... but he's going to stumble and **** up at least somewhat and not be able to make a 100% turnaround overnight.

Let's get this team of drunks back from overseas and into rehab again (at least another couple practices and a couple more games on North American soil) before we say they are incurable alcoholics.
Let me put this a better way.

I believe it's possible I am just not giving them the benefit of the doubt anymore. I was going to this season just right off last and give them a clean slate but not even showing up for the season opener was a huge f u to the fans and the level of play shown was of some crap quality.

Reactions: Aerrol

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
look at my post history, I mainly post in here over a span of 12 years and another 3 years before that under a different name. I tend to watch the game and don't feel the need to say the sky is falling. obviously im not happy with the team as is, but my *****ing won't change anything. I also enjoy the games for what they are, entertainment. If the Oilers lose or win it doesn't change the fact the sun rises the next morning and I need to go to work. So I just watch the games and try to get entertainment out of watching the sport.

Very good. I'm not interested in anyone's posting history and don't even know how to look it up! I just cannot recall seeing posts from you perhaphs because I see others so much.

And I too take the same approach to the game as you do, perhaps invest myself a little too Much, but I don't let it alter reality.

My issue is that a lot of posters get on other posters for bit**ing and complaining when a lot if them are simply stating those frustration.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Very good. I'm not interested in anyone's posting history and don't even know how to look it up! I just cannot recall seeing posts from you perhaphs because I see others so much.

And I too take the same approach to the game as you do, perhaps invest myself a little too Much, but I don't let it alter reality.

My issue is that a lot of posters get on other posters for bit**ing and complaining when a lot if them are simply stating those frustration.
I agree but when your saying chia sucks and is worst GM ever in history in every thread in every which way possible for months on end there comes a point where it’s redundant and adds nothing to the discussion.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

its probably because its a small community and people are fed up with the team and the same things being posted. Theres a lot of useful information on this site and a lot of insight that sometimes you have to sit through a ton of the same BS to find the useful stuff.

has an aside to show this, perhaps the most annoying was when Bryan bryoil was yelling from the rooftops about Schremp and how the oilers were doing everything wrong, then the posters calling him out it and other posters agree, then happening again with Omark. Perhaps its more of a brotherly/sisterly back and forth. I am certainly not calling Bryan bryoil out. Just an example that I always remember.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I agree but when your saying chia sucks and is worst GM ever in history in every thread in every which way possible for months on end there comes a point where it’s redundant and adds nothing to the discussion.

Yes I have to admit that's true.
I've just learned to scroll past posts once I see their narrative is nothing but venom.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
its probably because its a small community and people are fed up with the team and the same things being posted. Theres a lot of useful information on this site and a lot of insight that sometimes you have to sit through a ton of the same BS to find the useful stuff.

has an aside to show this, perhaps the most annoying was when Bryan bryoil was yelling from the rooftops about Schremp and how the oilers were doing everything wrong, then the posters calling him out it and other posters agree, then happening again with Omark. Perhaps its more of a brotherly/sisterly back and forth. I am certainly not calling Bryan bryoil out. Just an example that I always remember.
Good points. And I agree as well.

As a side note - and I hope he doesn't take this personally! - I usually like Bryan bryoils posts. I find it amusing that he pushed those players!!

What's wrong with him?!!

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Good points. And I agree as well.

As a side note - and I hope he doesn't take this personally! - I usually like Bryan bryoils posts. I find it amusing that he pushed those players!!

What's wrong with him?!!
I like Bryan Bryoils' too. I spell it that way as to not "mention" him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad