Post-Game Talk: Devils 3 - Islander 0: The Bernier and Hedberg Story

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
btw the NHL.com gamesheet has Bernier, Hedberg and Nabokov as the three stars. I'd have given #1 to Moose over Bernier, but whatever. But I think DD misheard.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Anyone get the feeling that our forecheck has been toned a bit? Nowhere near as aggressive and I think the offense is suffering from it.

i never expected it to be as aggressive as it was in the playoffs all season long. not to mention parise and poni are both gone and replaced by guys who aren't nearly ass effective at it. leaves us with a group of forwards that just aren't built to play that way.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
i never expected it to be as aggressive as it was in the playoffs all season long. not to mention parise and poni are both gone and replaced by guys who aren't nearly ass effective at it. leaves us with a group of forwards that just aren't built to play that way.

Plus you can't expect the team to match the playoff intensity at the beginning of the season after a long lockout. They'll have the proper intensity by playoff time, and hopefully Lou will add a forward who fits that gameplan too.

kiwidevil

Also, big credit to Lou for resigning Bernier. Would have been so easy to let him go. Love having players like Bernier on the fourth line. 1st rounders that don't pan out but can play all zones.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Better effort than yesterday. Still kinda sloppy, but Moose made some ridiculous saves today kinda like Marty before the game got out of control yesterday. I've been complaining about Bernier on the PP, but this was an instance I was wrong. That was a fantastic goal on the power play. Very good to see him get on the board at even strength too. That was our best line the whole game. Gio was our best forward today. Wish that guy had more skill.

How great was Moose today? I'm convinced this guy is the best pure backup in the league right now. I don't consider guys like Vokoun and Schneider backups.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm a little concerned about Kovy though. He had only 2 goals in is first 12 games last year, and had that 8 or 9 game goal drought in February. He doesn't look as bad as he did late in the playoffs last year, and he doesn't look uninterested (Yesterday he did along with most of the team though) I'm not sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
CBGB was the best line. Even before the goal, so it's nice to see them get rewarded by scoring one. They were our best yesterday I think too. Carter also gets into Lundqvist's head so next game should be fun.

I love how Bernier picks a guy, and then starts haunting him! Last year all his goals were scored on Clemmensen. This year they've all been scored on Nabokov!:laugh:

Butler was good today. Had some good shifts.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I'm a little concerned about Kovy though. He had only 2 goals in is first 12 games last year, and had that 8 or 9 game goal drought in February. He doesn't look as bad as he did late in the playoffs last year, and he doesn't look uninterested (Yesterday he did along with most of the team though) I'm not sure.

Kovy goes on stretches. He has these 5 game stretches where he will score 8 goals and then go 5 without scoring any

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One thing I definitely didn't like about this game was the Top-6 lineups. Pete really needs to shake it up because the current combination is doing nothing. Did nothing yesterday, and nothing today. Top line was terrible entering the zone and when they do get in can't keep it. 2nd line getting lots of pressure, but no looks at all.

Zajac needs to be back on the top line with Kovy, ideally with Henrique at wing, but at least get Henrique on the 2nd line and Zajac up top.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Kovy goes on stretches. He has these 5 game stretches where he will score 8 goals and then go 5 without scoring any

I haven't watched him alot when he was in atlanta. Did he also opt to pass 9/10 there too? That's what he's doing right now and he needs to just be a little more selfish, shoot more. Less icetime probably would help too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Yeah I know, and that's why I pointed out just 2 goals in the first 12 games last year, and the drought later on. I wouldn't call him a streaky player, but he is prone to droughts sometimes. I'm just a little paranoid after the injury in the playoffs combined with the BIG minutes.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
I just love that CBGB have picked up where they left off last year. Been our best line the last 5 games. I just wish the others would be more consistent too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad