Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
As a skill first kind of guy, it's hard to watch these playoff games and not want a little more edge on the team.

I can't blame you if you think it's tough to see a lot of our guys cultivating a nasty streak.

Reactions: mdj12784

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It’s hard as you need enough skill to get you into the playoffs but once you are there, you need guys with grit . Not many goals scored from the perimeter . Usually goals are from screened tips and beating in a rebound or scrum in front of the net.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Think Barkov is going to be the highest paid player in the NHL when he signs his new contract? I don’t see how he doesn’t get offers of 11 mil per or even more if he hit UFA .
Florida has to try to not let him get to UFA and resign him ASAP .
If we did not have two stud C ‘s how much would you guys offer him? I’d say no chance in hell Devils offer him a contract because of team needs plus I highly doubt he would consider it unless we offered league maximum

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
isn't the Q different scoring-wise than the OHL?

Also 1.25 vs 1.57 is kind of a decent difference if we're being fair

I don't think the Q differs that much from the OHL anymore. Might've been true 20 years ago, don't think it's true today.

It is a decent difference, but A: Mercer is 6 months older than those guys were and B: the point isn't that Zacha and McLeod were doing poorly, they were just doing okay. Mercer had a very good season. The Devils have not made a lot of 1st round forward picks out of junior - you've got Matteau and Quenneville, but before that you've got to go back to Scott Gomez, and then before that to Denis Pederson. I feel like that messes with people's expectations a bit.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
As a skill first kind of guy, it's hard to watch these playoff games and not want a little more edge on the team.

I can't blame you if you think it's tough to see a lot of our guys cultivating a nasty streak.

The playoffs build that edge. Its why teams look for guys with playoff experience.
Its not really an edge anyways. Its more like knowing what penalties the refs wont call in the playoffs.

slashes to shins as players skate past you is a given.
the kind of "oh you wanted to go there? i'm accidently in your way" interferences also are a must.

I noticed Wahlstrom getting some practice in the isles/pens game. 2-handed slash to the hand of a penguins player with 5 seconds left in the 3rd period. Good learning experience knowing he can do it again.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Think Barkov is going to be the highest paid player in the NHL when he signs his new contract? I don’t see how he doesn’t get offers of 11 mil per or even more if he hit UFA .
Florida has to try to not let him get to UFA and resign him ASAP .
If we did not have two stud C ‘s how much would you guys offer him? I’d say no chance in hell Devils offer him a contract because of team needs plus I highly doubt he would consider it unless we offered league maximum

if your calling jack and nico studs then whats that make barkov? i would much rather barkov then either of them i know i said that! like i iwouldn't let us having jack and nico keep me from pursuing a guy like barkov if the devils had a real shot at him. if they landed him then move one of jack or nico for a player needed elsewhere. thats just my opinion

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Tampa-Florida was the most intense game. Who were the best and most productive players in that game? Oh that’s right their skill guys with Barkov and Huberdeau for the Panthers and Kucherov and Point for the Lightning.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Tampa-Florida was the most intense game. Who were the best and most productive players in that game? Oh that’s right their skill guys with Barkov and Huberdeau for the Panthers and Kucherov and Point for the Lightning.

I do wonder if teams are going to overreact to what happened between the Caps and Rangers this year. It was an ugly episode, but you can't just blow up your core because you want to own Tom Wilson some day.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I do wonder if teams are going to overreact to what happened between the Caps and Rangers this year. It was an ugly episode, but you can't just blow up your core because you want to own Tom Wilson some day.
I think if anything "plays with an edge" will hold more weight than it did. I don't think there is any way a team could blow itself up to try to get those types of guys. I just feel like when scouting that is something that is going to start to come back into play. Not how he did in a bar fight, like years ago, but it's "listen this kid is good, great vision, great skating ability, and plays with an edge, knows how to use the body," will start to be a little more important.

I think for sure you see later round lottery scratch offs being used on these guys more often now, provided they can play the game.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Yo, I found the “Exit Interview” filed Hughes..

upload_2021-5-17_14-29-8.jpeg

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
The NJDevils will win the 2024 Stanley Cup with this roster:

____ - Hughes - Sharangovich
Bratt - Hischier - Holtz
Zacha - _____ - Mercer
Wood - McLeod - Bastian

L. Hughes - Smith
____ - Severson
Bahl - _____

Blackwood
_______

Instead of inserting names into blank spaces, I revised it and added wherever applicable:

Foote-Hughes-Holtz
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
G.Clarke-Mercer-Sharangovich
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkanen

Smith-B.Clarke
Bahl-Severson
Okhotiuk-Walsh

Blackwood
Schmid

Cup winner? Sure, if all these prospects reach their "ceilings", otherwise, more top picks and trades in the next couple years.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Instead of inserting names into blank spaces, I revised it and added wherever applicable:

Foote-Hughes-Holtz
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
G.Clarke-Mercer-Sharangovich
Wood-McLeod-Kuokkanen

Smith-B.Clarke
Bahl-Severson
Okhotiuk-Walsh

Blackwood
Schmid

Cup winner? Sure, if all these prospects reach their "ceilings", otherwise, more top picks and trades in the next couple years.
What’s the ceiling on Graeme Clarke? He’s flown under the radar for me being a third round pick and some injuries, but his numbers look pretty impressive in the B for a 20 year old

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
What’s the ceiling on Graeme Clarke? He’s flown under the radar for me being a third round pick and some injuries, but his numbers look pretty impressive in the B for a 20 year old
Im wondering myself if Clarke is a guy that can come up next year, or do we want him having an entire season in the AHL?

18 in 31 certainly is good for a 19 year old, after PPG in his final 16 junior games. All while dealing with some injuries.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Im wondering myself if Clarke is a guy that can come up next year, or do we want him having an entire season in the AHL?

18 in 31 certainly is good for a 19 year old, after PPG in his final 16 junior games. All while dealing with some injuries.
I don’t know who’s ready or not, but I don’t want the mistake of rushing kids to happen like it did to Zacha. Maybe Foote will be ready, but I would like to see Mercer, Holtz and Clarke dominate in Utica before making the jump permanently.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don’t know who’s ready or not, but I don’t want the mistake of rushing kids to happen like it did to Zacha. Maybe Foote will be ready, but I would like to see Mercer, Holtz and Clarke dominate in Utica before making the jump permanently.
to be fair, it depends on the individual for sure. i mean, we "rushed" sharangovich and bratt up, and they're okay. zacha is a diff case, w the supposed dad factor

Reactions: FooteBahl

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
to be fair, it depends on the individual for sure. i mean, we "rushed" sharangovich and bratt up, and they're okay. zacha is a diff case, w the supposed dad factor
We really didn’t rush Sharagovich though, he was an overager who playing big minutes on a top line in the KHL. He’ll be 23 in June. Mercer, Holtz and Foote are all 19-20. I’m not say that means they can’t play in the NHL next season but the rookies this season, other than a few “cup of coffee” guys at the end, were all relatively well-seasoned and ready for their shot. It didn’t feel like they were babes being thrown to the wolves.

I’m somewhat skeptical about Mercer just because the jump from juniors would be huge. Smith had an extra year and we really needed him, the demand for forward is less pressing.

Reactions: TheDuke93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad