Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I disagree. I think he could be had for Severson. Not saying I would do it. But they are in win now mode. Severson helps them more IMO then Quinn does right now/next season.

Now I was for this idea before but now I'm back to the wait the 4 years and then do something.
I do not agree with that. Fitz was clear that he was given the green light to make moves that would not jeopardize the future. The Graves trade is the type of trade that I think most of us were expecting. IMO they view Hamilton as a special situation. If they do not get Hamilton IMO you see more Graves type moves and mid to lower UFA signings to fill out the roster. Win now mode would mean moves like trading first rounders and overpaying for mediocre FAs which I do not see them doing.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I do not agree with that. Fitz was clear that he was given the green light to make moves that would not jeopardize the future. The Graves trade is the type of trade that I think most of us were expecting. IMO they view Hamilton as a special situation. If they do not get Hamilton IMO you see more Graves type moves and mid to lower UFA signings to fill out the roster. Win now mode would mean moves like trading first rounders and overpaying for mediocre FAs which I do not see them doing.

He was talking about Vancouver

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

I was talking about Vancouver not the Devils. They are trying to win now, which is why right now i think they would consider trading Quinn for Severson.

I dont believe the Devils are in a win now mode, which is partly why trading for Quinn right now makes sense. Let him grow with the rest of the the young kids.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
would not make that trade. we can get quinn for free in a few years there's a good chance by the time we are competing vancouver would have the better collection of assets from that deal

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
would not make that trade. we can get quinn for free in a few years there's a good chance by the time we are competing vancouver would have the better collection of assets from that deal

quinn isn't even the best player coming over in that deal.

Reactions: Mgd31

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
boeser doesn't make us a cup contender this season and we don't even have luke on the roster yet for at least another year, so i don't see any need to unite the hughes bros at this point. and there's a pretty good chance that in 2025 a collection of smith, holtz and our first next year plus signing free agent quinn hughes will be better for our franchise than having just boeser at the end of his prime and quinn hughes

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m impatient as they come but I would much rather hold on to a bunch of our important young pieces and keep building the way we have been rather than make that trade.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
So all the Quinn talk. While I agree we MIGHT be able to get him for just cap space 4 years from now we might not have what we need to sign him.

We also give time for him to improve to the point of being either 2 expensive to trade for or afford. Thats the only reason I think its better to strike earlier on any Quinn deal then later.
Of course we dont need Quinn its just a luxury piece really.

Right now with Vancouver trying to build a competitive roster seems like an ideal time. Its why I suggested a Severson for Quinn deal. I love Damon but each the trade fits each teams timelines better frankly. Vancouver gets Severson now to compete, we like Quinn grow with Ty and Jack waiting for Luke.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
If Quinn becomes a UFA and he wants to come to NJ in a deal that makes sense for the team (personnel and cap wise) then sure, that would fun.

But getting Quinn is not the be all, end all, goal for this team. Really could care less if he ever plays for NJ and certainly am not giving up assets to trade for him.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah I'm not nearly as high on Quinn as everyone else seems to be. Not really for giving up huge assets for him. If we can sign him in FA, cool. Otherwise he can stay in Van.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i don't give a shit about quinn either tbh. i want boeser...i think he breaks gionta's record on our top line

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
i don't give a shit about quinn either tbh. i want boeser...i think he breaks gionta's record on our top line
IF the Devils sign Hamilton I would be inclined to give up assets for Boeser as opposed to Quinn as well. While a fun discussion both (Quinn or Boeser) are so unlikely to happen this year it is hardly worth spending any more time on it.

Last edited:

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Bonino a very good choice for #3 center. He's much older than the rest of the Jersey youth movement. He's a very responsible defensive player who manages to put up close to .5 PPG. His last contract was a 1-way for $4.1Mil.
Saad is a good winger but may lack the speed of the Devils. He's 28 and .59 PPG career player. Also adds grit to a line and is a great 2-way player. His last contract was a 1-way for $6.5Mil. Jersey could afford him but anything more than 3 years may be too much.
2 experienced and productive guys with a defensive edge might be of great value in setting examples by their play for the kids. Bonino might be good in the role of #3 center. Saad is a good man to ride shotgun on any line.

I really like Haula. He is a .78 PPG nhl player. He's 30 and his last contract was $

Granland is .64 PPG NHLer. He's a 9-yr NHL vet who has produced at a .64 PPG. He's 29 and his last contract was a 1-way $3.25Mil.

I watched Armia in 2015 when he played for Rochester and was nearly PPG. He was quite impressive. He never scored like that in the NHL, but .54 PPG ain't half bad. He's 28 and his last contract was a 1-way $2.4Mil.

I'm not as high on Janmark. He's not as productive and less dependable defensively.

All of these guys could find a home with the Devils and be very helpful. They are all in the same age range and 2 or 3 yr contracts would be fine.

Like all the guys in this group but disagree on Janmark. While his offensive numbers are less than you would think they would be, love his game in all three zones and he was a big part of Dallas' run to the finals last summer.

He would be a great addition.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
With Arizona blowing it up I'd bite their hand off to get Chychrun. Probably unlikely unless we view Graves as a bottom pairing guy long term, but Chychrun - Smith - Graves would be an unreal left side.

He's on a great contract too, I'd dangle our 2022 1st & a very good prospect for him easily.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Excellent news for the us

Canes looking for their Dougie replacement?

Can't imagine he'd sign there to play bottom pairing minutes. Slavin - Pesce & Skjei - DeAngelo will be their top four. I think if Hamilton was going back to Carolina he would have re-signed by now, I'm 99.9% sure he's going elsewhere, we just have to hope there's no mystery teams willing to spend big on Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad