Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
we can use a mobile big body dman that has a bomb from the point and is really good in his own end.

He has no offensive upside for me. He'll never be a PP guy, he's not going to be a 35+ point guy. He's a chip off the glass guy in his own end at the next level which is going to drive me nuts. I don't think he's adept with the puck at all, even in his own end. I think he fits into a rather large bucket we have of left handed mid-bottom pairing defensive minded defensemen. Bahl, Misyul, Okhotyuk, Vukojevic...Guhle is a slightly better version of those guys maybe, but we've got a number of those types right now.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He has no offensive upside for me. He'll never be a PP guy, he's not going to be a 35+ point guy. He's a chip off the glass guy in his own end at the next level which is going to drive me nuts. I don't think he's adept with the puck at all, even in his own end. I think he fits into a rather large bucket we have of left handed mid-bottom pairing defensive minded defensemen. Bahl, Misyul, Okhotyuk, Vukojevic...Guhle is a slightly better version of those guys maybe, but we've got a number of those types right now.
I think Bahl can have top pair ‘potential’ in the sense that a large defenseman who is defensively strong can be carried past his original rank if the guy next to him is the opposite and a perfect match.

How many Karlsson/Burns types have had nobodies as their partner but succeed in their role of being a defensive minded big body?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I think Bahl can have top pair ‘potential’ in the sense that a large defenseman who is defensively strong can be carried past his original rank if the guy next to him is the opposite and a perfect match.

How many Karlsson/Burns types have had nobodies as their partner but succeed in their role of being a defensive minded big body?

I'd agree that theoretically they all have that type of potential, though I don't find it likely that is what he becomes. That would be the path, for sure.

But I also like to draft those guys in rounds 2-4 as opposed to say round 1, especially when that particular skill set on the left side is actually something we have in a number of guys.

I like Guhle more than I like Poirier, but for us specifically, I'd probably take Poirier first...though I really don't want him at 20 either. I have no interest in any d-men at 18 or 20, tbh. Trade down, then we can talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
“If I was to move 18 or 20, it would have to be for someone we control, someone who can be a top-six forward or top-four defenseman, and someone that’s in that age bracket of where our group’s at,” Fitzgerald said. “Anything else, I don’t know if it’s worth it. I don’t think it would be worth it because I’m staying true to this age bracket that keeps growing together.”

“I want to continue to maintain consistency with what the build would look like,” Fitzgerald said. “So if I was to move one of those picks, I want somebody who can impact our roster now plus control for a few years. If that doesn’t come across my plate, we just make the picks. I’m feeling really good about the three picks that we could end up having.”
NHL Draft 2020: Devils zero in on 12 prospects for 3 1st-rounders, but talking trade

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
if the canes offered jake bean+ for 20 would you do it?
The Canes are going to have to leave either him or Fleury unprotected for the expansion draft. I wonder if they would do a prospect forward (Merkley?) for Bean swap along with taking a cap dump like Nieddereiter. So doing something like that without giving up a 1st

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I’d be shocked if the Canes trade Bean. He’s young, cheap, and improving.

Fleury is a 2014 draft pick. I’d lose him first any day.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The Canes are going to have to leave either him or Fleury unprotected for the expansion draft. I wonder if they would do a prospect forward (Merkley?) for Bean swap along with taking a cap dump like Nieddereiter. So doing something like that without giving up a 1st

I've posited a Boqvist for Bean type swap since Boqvist is exempt. I think that's a solid deal for them as well give the ED status.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
They’ve also made multiple trades to add dmen (Skjei, Vatanen, etc.). You’d think a 1st round pick value player would be able to at least make the NHL when he was drafted 4 years ago.

They've done this before though. Fleury was a top 10 pick, they didn't bring him along until he was 21. Slavin came in at 21This past year was Bean's age 21 season as well, and they were stacked on defense. It's certainly not uncommon for a defender to cook until they are 21 /22. Bean in particular even still has some defensive work to do.

I'd be concerned about him or uninterested if he wasn't performing well, but he's performing extremely well in the AHL. Lots of guys in that class still finding their way. It's certainly an upside play, but gambles like that are how you get top pairing defensemen...you get them before they become it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
They've done this before though. Fleury was a top 10 pick, they didn't bring him along until he was 21. Slavin came in at 21This past year was Bean's age 21 season as well, and they were stacked on defense. It's certainly not uncommon for a defender to cook until they are 21 /22. Bean in particular even still has some defensive work to do.

I'd be concerned about him or uninterested if he wasn't performing well, but he's performing extremely well in the AHL. Lots of guys in that class still finding their way. It's certainly an upside play, but gambles like that are how you get top pairing defensemen...you get them before they become it.
I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to a deal for Bean. Especially if they were dumping Nino too, he would fit in well I think. It would just kinda sting if you move a 1st for a guy only to find out he can’t defend at the NHL level.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What would be available for Nick Schmaltz (24, led AZ in scoring -- barring Hall who picked up half his points in Jersey)? Raanta, Demers, and Goligoski could be other more short-term players of interest given a glance at the depth chart.
Armstrong wants to get a little bigger, and that's not Schmaltz or Keller. I assume Keller is not going to be traded, and Kessel is untradeable so the odd man out may be Schmaltz.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to a deal for Bean. Especially if they were dumping Nino too, he would fit in well I think. It would just kinda sting if you move a 1st for a guy only to find out he can’t defend at the NHL level.

That's a fair point. It's tricky because he fits what we're looking for, but is he worth giving up a current first at his current state in development?

It might be a risk worth taking if we can do it with the #20 pick. But I wouldn't want to get in too deep with giving up much more for someone who hasn't proven much to this point at the pro level.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
What would be available for Nick Schmaltz (24, led AZ in scoring -- barring Hall who picked up half his points in Jersey)? Raanta, Demers, and Goligoski could be other more short-term players of interest given a glance at the depth chart.
Armstrong wants to get a little bigger, and that's not Schmaltz or Keller. I assume Keller is not going to be traded, and Kessel is untradeable so the odd man out may be Schmaltz.

So I think in a vacuum, Schmaltz should get a solid return from someone.

That being said, I have no interest in him. He's just so damn soft every time I see him and he's not a true goal scorer on the wing.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
That's a fair point. It's tricky because he fits what we're looking for, but is he worth giving up a current first at his current state in development?

It might be a risk worth taking if we can do it with the #20 pick. But I wouldn't want to get in too deep with giving up much more for someone who hasn't proven much to this point at the pro level.

Oh yeah, if it costs more, I'm out. I'm a pretty big Bean fan.

Even if he never learns how to defend extremely well, I still think that you're looking at a guy that falls into that Vince Dunn / Damon Severson type on the bottom of the range and possibly Tyson Barrie at the top (Barrie probably the worst defender of the three, but most gifted offensively), and I think that's worth a first, especially one at #20, which has a fairly high likelihood of not being anything special.

If he learns how to legitimately defend (and let's be honest, you probably won't see that until he's 26 or something), he's a first pairing defenseman.

XBS93

Jan 21, 2019

With Nico and Hughes taking the top two center positions Schmaltz makes no sense for the Devils. There is no reason for the Devils to trade for a 32 or 35 year pending UFA unless they are being given away and they can be flipped at the deadline for a better package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad