Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
sounds like we should make that trade on July 2nd then

Marleau's ineligible for a buyout past that point. What the Devils could do instead is hold on to half the contract and not buy it out. I really don't want them trading with San Jose and Toronto though.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
oh I agree, I was moreso making a half joke to appease the "our owners don't spend the munnies" people

if another team makes that trade on draft day or before July 1st, the narrative that we wouldnt do it until after July 1st to avoid the 3 mill bonus will 100% be brought up here.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Can San Jose even afford Maleau at 50% retained? I dont think they can re-sign all their guys even now without that and without knowing what Thornton gets (probably not much but still)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Marleau's contract and Kasperi Kapanen for Boston 2nd? Would you guys do it?

Keep in mind Marleau's contract is only like $800k in real dollars to buy out ($6.25 million on the cap for 1 year since its a 35+)
I'm in.

It's paid on July 1st by whatever team has him on that date.

Unfortunately the signing bonus is paid in full and isn't effected by a buyout.
I'd think Toronto is much more worried about the cap hit then the real dollars.

So make Toronto pay the bonus, we handle the buyout and the cap hit.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Can San Jose even afford Maleau at 50% retained? I dont think they can re-sign all their guys even now without that and without knowing what Thornton gets (probably not much but still)
So take back some salary as well?

Does SJ really want Marleau back though?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Mueller is eligible for arbitration, if we ask him to go to arbitration to give us an extra buyout window then maybe we could sneak him a little extra cheddar cheese in his deal.

Or we could take him to arbitration. Whatever works.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Travis was overpaid. That contract was signed in anticipation of a ~65M cap. We're at 82M now. That said, the deal's back half has worked out surprisingly well.

Travis was signed in anticipation of a ~65M cap but with full knowledge that the cap was likely to continue rising.
You expect the cap to rise, but you also expect the players level of play to drop off. Zajac's play hasn't that much, and he's a pretty interesting case in that, while his offensive totals were buoyed for awhile playing on top lines, he really is a checking center who can chip in offense. And that is the truly surprising thing that happened. His offensive #'s are actually better with the likes of Coleman, Noesen and Wood then they were with Hall. And thus moving him down the lineup has actually seen him find a second wind offensively.

Reactions: My3Sons and mtnet

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
So buyout makes more sense then the trade? Cool, if we were to somehow snag a Kapanen, then whatever works.

Yeah Toronto cant take on the 3 mill they would have to eat and San Jose cant take on the remaining money as is. I feel like a Washington - colorado move makes the most sense and I forget who posted the original trade offer but it is very similar to what the Orpik/Grubauer trade was.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agree and I may be one step beyond you. IMO the Devils will be very good in a couple of years if Hall stays or not. If he chooses to leave it would not surprise me if the Devils end up having more success over the whole of Hall's next contract than the team he goes to does.
Of course we could never actually know this to be true one way or the other.

But if Hall is healthy? I'd 100% expect the team to be better with him then without. I think he is at the perfect age to mentor the young kids and to get this team rolling on a competitive streak that lasts 10+ years.

The injury concerns are the only snag imo. If you pay a guy $10+ million per, and that guy misses half a season, that's going to make winning difficult.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Marleau's contract and Kasperi Kapanen for Boston 2nd? Would you guys do it?

Keep in mind Marleau's contract is only like $800k in real dollars to buy out ($6.25 million on the cap for 1 year since its a 35+)

100% that's not even a question to me, hell they can take our 2nd. Kapanen is very good and would fit our team perfectly, one year of Marleau isn't even that bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Marleau's ineligible for a buyout past that point. What the Devils could do instead is hold on to half the contract and not buy it out. I really don't want them trading with San Jose and Toronto though.

There is also another small buyout period after arbitration ends.

Clarification on this point?

And let's say we have to eat the bonus and the buyout, what would our cost be?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Clarification on this point?

And let's say we have to eat the bonus and the buyout, what would our cost be?

The Devils cannot buy out Marleau during the 2nd buyout window (if they even have one, which is not a guarantee) because he wasn't on their reserve list as of the trade deadline.

The cost of the buyout would be $3.8M.

Funny, now I'm remembering talking about Marleau buyouts with Tyler Dellow on twitter before he got hired, so it's at least in his mind.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Mueller is eligible for arbitration, if we ask him to go to arbitration to give us an extra buyout window then maybe we could sneak him a little extra cheddar cheese in his deal.

Or we could take him to arbitration. Whatever works.
Do we get that buyout window if WE request arbitration? If so, it's a non-issue. Just bring him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad