Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Shero: It's not frustrating. It's part of the business that we're in. If people take the time to read his quotes, or listen to his postseason press conference, I think you can pick out whatever you want to make it a headline. It's not what he meant. It's not what he intended to mean. But it gets taken and it gets circulated. I've heard nothing different from Taylor Hall or [his agent] Darren Ferris.

Taylor missed the second half of the season. He was just in town last week for his final go-ahead and all that stuff. He has one more year on his contract. People look at July 1, but it's not like he's unrestricted on July 1. For a player to commit to a franchise, or a franchise to a player, it's more than just "Hey, sign this here." It's about what we're doing. When I sit down with Taylor or Nico or any player, I want them to learn about me. I want them to know what ownership is thinking, and what direction we're going. I want them to understand that.

It'll play itself out. There's certainly no drama on our end, except when people try to make it. He has one year left on his contract, and I hope to get to it much sooner than that. Let's play it out through the draft. Go through free agency. See where we go. As we go through the summer, we'll sit down and see where we are. Do it the proper way. It's not a big deal. It really isn't. Especially when it comes to July 1. What is he going to do? Talk to other teams on July 1?

It's been a really good relationship with Taylor. But like with any young man or young woman, you're going to take time because you have decisions to make about your future. So does your employer.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
ESPN: When do you think you're going to talk money with him (Hall)?

Shero:
After we sit down. I don't want to talk money until we talk about where we are as a franchise and what's on his mind. The money part is secondary to that. Hopefully we'll have something to talk about and go from there. Everyone's always like, "What about the money, what about the money?" They're like that with offer sheets, too. Well, a guy has to actually sign the f---ing thing, too, you know?

I f***ing love Shero. :laugh:

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Yeah that read to me like ‘we will see what we can do and if it works it it works out, but they wont make half-assed moves just to appease Hall

However this one line has me hopeful for some action - “Hopefully we'll have something to talk about and go from there”, when commenting on sitting down with Hall after the draft and start of FA. Seems Shero would also like something to bring to Hall

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Apparently Marleau only wants to play in SJ, and if TOR can't trade him there directly he'll demand a trade to a team that can buy him out so he can sign there.

A buyout would still cost the whole $6.25M cap hit for one year because he's on a +35 deal, but would only cost $3.8M in actual dollars (833K after his bonus is paid July 1st) because his deal was frontloaded and bonus heavy.

If we could take back someone like Kapanen that would be a great way to use cap space. Similar to the Bickell cap dump, which allowed the Canes to land Teravaninen.

ah the lou effect! he never disappoints enjoy isle fans

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I think you have to be open of trading just about anyone if the return is right. And if(hypothetical here) Shero knows that Hall will stay if we add a d-man then you are not as thin at wing, especially lw.

And you could trade Bratt and then sign a solid veteran winger. I don't even know who is still potentially out there anymore, but wingers, especially lefties(though Bratt does provide the versatility of playing either wing) are the most easy to find commodity in the league.

That all said, I'm with you, as are most, in not really wanting to trade Bratt. I'm on of the few who doesn't really see a big need to add players, I expect the young players, of whom there are a lot, to step up, I expect injuries to have less of an impact, and I think we will be a markedly better team next year. IMO the only rush to add vets is to possibly appease Hall, and on that front I'm lukewarm. Still, you have to be open to a trade if you are getting the right player(s) back.
Agree and I may be one step beyond you. IMO the Devils will be very good in a couple of years if Hall stays or not. If he chooses to leave it would not surprise me if the Devils end up having more success over the whole of Hall's next contract than the team he goes to does.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Just for fun I thought up a deal for PK

Subban, 3rd for 2nd (not 34th), Jesper Boqvist, and Vatanen at 50%

Edit; idfk how i confused McLeod with Vatanen lmao

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
And yet we've had years debating whether Travis was overpaid at $5.5 million here. Can't wait for the next Travis is overpaid post when he has a five-game goalless streak next year.

Travis was overpaid. That contract was signed in anticipation of a ~65M cap. We're at 82M now. That said, the deal's back half has worked out surprisingly well.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Zajac has to be the most under-appreciated Devil of all time. Can a franchise really ask for anything more from a guy like him? He just quietly goes about his business and does everything well. Not to mention his loyalty to NJ...

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
When you think about it - the haul Hall (lol) would get this summer would be pretty nice Id imagine. And when you consider our cores age and where our roster is currently at...

Hell, the only big negative I can think of right now is not competing on Jack and Smith’s ELCs. Otherwise, ive started thinking about the positives of moving on from Hall and letting guys like Blackwood, Jack, Smith get situated and then allow more time for more suitable upgrades and let old cap expenditures like Schneider, Zajac, and Greene come off the books.

Hall simply may not fit the timeline. Then again if he decides f*** it he likes the area too much and hell go the Ovechkin route and hang around until hes contending at 30-31, id obviously sign him.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Agree and I may be one step beyond you. IMO the Devils will be very good in a couple of years if Hall stays or not. If he chooses to leave it would not surprise me if the Devils end up having more success over the whole of Hall's next contract than the team he goes to does.

you strike when you have good cheap talent by mixing it with good veteran experience

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Marleau's contract and Kasperi Kapanen for Boston 2nd? Would you guys do it?

Keep in mind Marleau's contract is only like $800k in real dollars to buy out.

It's $3.8M in real dollars to buy out.

Travis was signed in anticipation of a ~65M cap but with full knowledge that the cap was likely to continue rising.

Travis has 86 goals and 144 assists in the years covered by that contract. He's been relatively durable and has played his usual brand of solid defensive hockey but he's barely scored at a 2nd line rate over that time, and that despite all sorts of PP1 and first line ice time. He hasn't lived up to it, but that doesn't really matter - the team's been quite bad.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's $3.8M in real dollars to buy out.

Travis has 86 goals and 144 assists in the years covered by that contract. He's been relatively durable and has played his usual brand of solid defensive hockey but he's barely scored at a 2nd line rate over that time, and that despite all sorts of PP1 and first line ice time. He hasn't lived up to it, but that doesn't really matter - the team's been quite bad.

thur5TD.png

is that because of the signing bonus? Do we know when that is due?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
We all know what the CBA is. There is no gentleman's agreement. F--- that s---. When people say that, it's a lazy narrative, I'll tell you that. Really? Your ownership's competitive, GMs are competitive, and it's the buddy-buddy system? What the f--- is that?

seriously though, with this interview? did anyone else picture this discussion taking place in a public bathroom while shero did rails off the urinal? i was skimming ahead while reading it to see if he dropped the c bomb at the end

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
When you think about it - the haul Hall (lol) would get this summer would be pretty nice Id imagine. And when you consider our cores age and where our roster is currently at...

Hell, the only big negative I can think of right now is not competing on Jack and Smith’s ELCs. Otherwise, ive started thinking about the positives of moving on from Hall and letting guys like Blackwood, Jack, Smith get situated and then allow more time for more suitable upgrades and let old cap expenditures like Schneider, Zajac, and Greene come off the books.

Hall simply may not fit the timeline

it still amazes me that people on here (not just you) think there will be this perfect timetable for when we can "pounce" like we will have a team full of young players on long term team friendly deals. it just doesn't happen that way. i'm going to hope that nico/hughes/bratt/blackwood/smith all do great and take their next steps. you realize what type of pay raises those guys will be looking at? if hughes is as good as they claim his next contract is going to be 10-12 million (thats not being negative). to me we have a star in place with hall you build around that on the young players with cheap deals. otherwise you keep waiting you will just have young players on expensive deals riding out their rfa years but you dont see too many nhl teams winning with a bunch of 21-25 year olds

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I love this...

ESPN: Do you feel you have to do significant things this summer to help convince him of the path for the franchise? Is picking first overall enough?
Shero:
I don't know. I think everything we're doing here is for the best for the organization. Let's be honest: Taylor was somewhere else for six years. He didn't make the playoffs. We weren't a part of that, obviously, but when he came here we made a run in 2017-18 and then last year wasn't good for him or the team due to his injury.
He's a significant part of our franchise. That's why we're not trying to rush. We'll explain to him what we're trying to do and why and the timing of things, and see if he understands that and the timing of things, and then go from there. Everything we do here is for our franchise and not one particular player. But with that said, he's a significant part of our franchise. It's not frustrating. It's not a rush. It's just what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad