Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
i see the error i what i said. dea would not be our best forward by season end but he would be one of our bests. take a look at this march 8th lineup for comparison.

pietela
anderson
mcleod
agostino
stafford
zajac
coleman
gabriel
lappin
palmieri
noessen
quenneville

i mean...

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I don't understand the point of any of this anymore.

e4e6d4269e.png

There's the lineup for that last game against Florida. We can play a game called "count the actual NHL players" This was essentially the healthiest our lineup was the entire second half of the season when the injuries began. If you're gonna tank, and I mean REALLY tank, why does Nico Hischier (arguably the most valuable player to the franchise right now) play in this game? Why didn't Shero take a baseball bat to his knee to keep him out for the rest of the season like he did to Hall?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

e4e6d4269e.png

There's the lineup for that last game against Florida. We can play a game called "count the actual NHL players" This was essentially the healthiest our lineup was the entire second half of the season when the injuries began. If you're gonna tank, and I mean REALLY tank, why does Nico Hischier (arguably the most valuable player to the franchise right now) play in this game? Why didn't Shero take a baseball bat to his knee to keep him out for the rest of the season like he did to Hall?

they won that game right? the devils were already g’d a top 5 spot and sitting pretty compared to earlier predictions. if youre gonna tank smoothly than you do what the devils did. it was awesome.

edit: that lineup is not even good. thats a bottom feeder.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

e4e6d4269e.png

Nico is such a good boy he wouldn’t go along with the nefarious Shero’s plan to fake injuries.

Although I do think the Devils were cautious with letting players fully heal which is different then keeping healthy players sidelined.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
yeah he was awful. lemme pull up some of those march/april lineups bud

This point is either pure trolling or sheer ignorance, there's no other way to explain it.

Dea was waived in November - the Devils were 9-10-4 - that's bad, and on pace for 78 points, but the season isn't over. You're saying that the Devils should've kept Dea around on the off-chance that they traded everyone away and everyone was injured, and that because he was waived, the Devils were tanking. It wasn't that Dea is an AHL/NHL shuttle guy capable of filling in for a few games but not a permanent roster fixture by any means - it was just, they were tanking, gotta get rid of the good guys, let's ditch Dea first.

When the Devils' injuries really hit it was past the trade deadline and rosters expand at that point - almost nobody is put on waivers. There are no remedies at that point.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I wonder how Brett Seney will be next season for us. I feel like with all the Hughes talk about him being a Center in the NHL it will force Brett to primarily play LW if he can crack the lineup this season. I really hope Seney can continue developing and be a good complimentary player for this team for years to come.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
This point is either pure trolling or sheer ignorance, there's no other way to explain it.

Dea was waived in November - the Devils were 9-10-4 - that's bad, and on pace for 78 points, but the season isn't over. You're saying that the Devils should've kept Dea around on the off-chance that they traded everyone away and everyone was injured, and that because he was waived, the Devils were tanking. It wasn't that Dea is an AHL/NHL shuttle guy capable of filling in for a few games but not a permanent roster fixture by any means - it was just, they were tanking, gotta get rid of the good guys, let's ditch Dea first.

When the Devils' injuries really hit it was past the trade deadline and rosters expand at that point - almost nobody is put on waivers. There are no remedies at that point.

no thats not what im saying. not at all. i dont think throwing dea on waivers was the white flag. i think it is more of just a reflection on how management shifted gears. just want people to acknowledge that winning was not in our best interest once the new year rolled around. ive said multiple times, thats cool. even if they want to do it again this season. thats cool.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wonder how Brett Seney will be next season for us. I feel like with all the Hughes talk about him being a Center in the NHL it will force Brett to primarily play LW if he can crack the lineup this season. I really hope Seney can continue developing and be a good complimentary player for this team for years to come.

AHL. Especially if we trade for a top 6 winger, which I believe we will

Reactions: Bleedred

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
no thats not what im saying. not at all. i dont think throwing dea on waivers was the white flag. i think it is more of just a reflection on how management shifted gears. just want people to acknowledge that winning was not in our best interest once the new year rolled around. ive said multiple times, thats cool. even if they want to do it again this season. thats cool.

What you're saying does not make any sense. 'Management shifted gears' - to what? How in the world is waiving a guy who played primarily 3rd/4th line ice time shifting gears?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
What you're saying does not make any sense. 'Management shifted gears' - to what? How in the world is waiving a guy who played primarily 3rd/4th line ice time shifting gears?

A reflection is not a direct indication of 'shifting gears'. I think its sad that one of the Devil's best forwards towards the end of the season potentially would have been fodder in the beginning of the season. Thats not a testament to that player's skillset but more the team make up. That March 8th lineup maybe has 1 top 6 winger on it. Maybe. Outside some crazy team illness I can't believe people are that forgiving of such a lineup.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A reflection is not a direct indication of 'shifting gears'. I think its sad that one of the Devil's best forwards towards the end of the season potentially would have been fodder in the beginning of the season. Thats not a testament to that player's skillset but more the team make up. That March 8th lineup maybe has 1 top 6 winger on it. Maybe. Outside some crazy team illness I can't believe people are that forgiving of such a lineup.

What the hell are you talking about? In March Boyle and MoJo were gone and we had injuries up front. Do you think they were faking injuries to ice a shit lineup to lose on purpose?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
What the hell are you talking about? In March Boyle and MoJo were gone and we had injuries up front. Do you think they were faking injuries to ice a **** lineup to lose on purpose?

I do not think this team was icing the best team the organization could have put together. I would give them a C+ for effort and an A+ for result. I don't know anything about faking injuries.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Conspiracy theories and the NHL.... what a world we live in right now holy **** can this summer end.

I mean do you even follow the NHL? Tanking has been around since before I was born.

Seriously look at that March lineup and everyone act like thats what was expected on October 2018. It was one of the worst in the past 10 years.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean do you even follow the NHL? Tanking has been around since before I was born.

Seriously look at that March lineup and everyone act like thats what was expected on October 2018. It was one of the worst in the past 10 years.

You picked a lineup after the trade deadline when MoJo and Boyle were gone, in which Hall, Nico, Bratt, and Wood were all injured. Of course the lineup was going to look like shit when literally half the forwards were out.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
You picked a lineup after the trade deadline when MoJo and Boyle were gone, in which Hall, Nico, Bratt, and Wood were all injured. Of course the lineup was going to look like **** when literally half the forwards were out.

There were plenty of lineups. This was a lost season and management knew it very quickly. There's no shame in accepting that. The lineups that were put out in the second half were awful under the 'trying to compete now' lens. completely acceptable in the 'trying to compete in the next 5 years' lens.

this team was lost-- well before injuries. i'm not even shaming the management for recognizing it quickly. I'm just more willing to accept that it may happen this season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Who do you think we will target?

Honestly not a clue. We never seem to get someone any of us speculate on so I’ve given up on trying.

I just think we will snag someone. I just don’t know how established they will be. If it’s more like Palms or more like Mojo.

I don’t expect Hall level but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad