Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
They explained what happened after the season. Hall had discomfort in his knee. He saw 2 doctors who both recommended rest and when it didn’t heal up better on it’s own they eventually did surgery and found some loose bodies that explained the discomfort. The surgery was minor but they wanted to explore all non-surgical possibilities before opening him up, which is prudent.

There wasn’t a conspiracy to hide a serious injury.

Cause of Taylor Hall's knee injury evaded doctors for months

yeah i appreciate that and that timeline could have played out in realtime. no harm no foul.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kinkaid was so bad last season, I don't even think he'll be that bad next season.

He can be good if he's a backup, but he'll probably be bad if he has to play more than a sparsely used backup.

He's probably somewhere between what he was in 17-18 and 18-19. But I think he could be .913%, just as a backup only. Can't see him putting in another .913% season on 40 games.

I still don't expect him to be in the league for many more years. I'd say his NHL career is more than likely close to 2/3rd's of its way over. At least in years played. It might be closer 3/4th's over in actual games played, as he's played over 80 games the last two seasons. I don't see him playing a combined 80 games over the next two seasons.

He's a Chad Johnson or Al Montoya type. Those kinds of goalies are out of the league by about 32-33 years old and roughly 200 games played. Kinkaid is already at 151. And they also see major fluctuations from year to year in their play.

Reactions: Darkauron

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Kinkaid was so bad last season, I don't even think he'll be that bad next season.

He can be good if he's a backup, but he'll probably be bad if he has to play more than a sparsely used backup.

He's probably somewhere between what he was in 17-18 and 18-19. But I think he could be .913%, just as a backup only. Can't see him putting in another .913% season on 40 games.

I still don't expect him to be in the league for many more years. I'd say his NHL career is more than likely close to 2/3rd's of its way over. At least in years played. It might be closer 3/4th's over in actual games played, as he's played over 80 games the last two seasons. I don't see him playing a combined 80 games over the next two seasons.

He's a Chad Johnson or Al Montoya type. Those kinds of goalies are out of the league by about 32-33 years old. And they also see major fluctuations from year to year in their play.

would you still buy schneider out?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
we released sebastian dea in the first couple months.

he would have been on our first line in march.

like thats not good management to hit KPI’s unless theyre completely different than fan expectations
So releasing Dea is evidence of us tanking?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
would you still buy schneider out?
One more bad year and I definitely would. If he can't do better than .90x% this year, I think it's safe to buy him out next June if he isn't LTIR'd. At that point, it's only a 2 year buyout, which is only 4 years of a cap hit buyout. And then there's always the chance of amnesty buyouts coming with the CBA that might expire after this coming season and Schneider is still the worst contract the Devils have, as Zajac only has 2 years left (and is still a 45 point player as of last season and his contract isn't a problem for his output like people used to claim) and Greene has just one year left.

And the more games Schneider plays, the less chance I think his play is efficient. I think the chances of Schneider providing solid goaltending go up if he's used as a 1b or backup. I think gone are the days of 50-60 games for him, at least at a competent level. And not only from a performance standpoint, but even from a health standpoint.

I've always said I think there's a chance he has one good season left in him as a starter, but I think if it comes this year, he'll probably return to the declining .90x% version again the next year.

The list of goalies to bounce back after 3 consecutive below average seasons is very low. At least in this era. Rinne had a stretch of 3 poor seasons in 4 years and then followed it up with 3 straight seasons of good years or back to his career average, but that's the only one I can think of in the last 20 years or so. That list may go up if we include random backups.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
So releasing Dea is evidence of us tanking?

no. not really. just shows the swings of managements belief in competitiveness to give up a forward who would be your best by seasons end for nothing.

dea was a casualty of the devils getting healthy and realizing their full potential. when it didnt work out he would have been one of their best forwards. kinda crazy to think of a gm plan where that swing is acceptable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
no. not really. just shows the swings of managements belief in competitiveness to give up a forward who would be your best by seasons end for nothing.

dea was a casualty of the devils getting healthy and realizing their full potential. when it didnt work out he would have been one of their best forwards. kinda crazy to think of a gm plan where that swing is acceptable.
Dea wouldn't have nearly been our best forward by the end of last season.

Even Agostino was better than him.

They didn't know at the time he was waived that Hall would never play a game for the rest of the season after Christmas or that Bratt would get injured again late in the season or that even Palmieri would miss a significant number of games after the trade deadline. Obviously, the chance of Boyle and Johansson going at the deadline was pretty high the later we got into the season, but none of the other stuff was expected.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
could you elaborate? the devils were not concerned with winning after the end of november. i think that makes total sense.
I think the season transitioned from being terrible because of goalie play to being terrible because of injuries all over the roster sometime around the beginning of the 2019 season.

Obviously they traded Mojo, Boyle, and Lovejoy so they clearly were not making a playoff push. And sure, they weren't rushing banged up guys back to the lineup like they would have if they were in the playoff hunt, but tanking moves was not the reason the season went as poorly as it did. See above.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
people making any kind of excuse for our march lineups is excruciating. we were in tank mode and it worked out. thats cool until it doesnt.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Jean-Sebastian Dea? That is who you are talking about right?

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
If Dea is our best forward by season's end then doesn't that show that we need more talent in the pipeline?

Or was everyone hurt on purpose to tank because once the calendar hit December the team totally gave up and didn't want to win again and then traded away .891 Kinkaid so that .918 Blackwood could help us sink closer to the bottom of the standings?

I can't keep this stuff straight anymore.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He somehow make less sense as the night goes on.
I feel there is some glimmer of truth in what he is saying, I mean, I would have like to have kept Dea as well, I thought he was a decent little player, and a righty, but then he just goes beserker with it. Somehow Dea would have been one of our best fwd's, trying to put him through waivers was a sign of tanking? Cuckoo stuff.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If Dea is our best forward by season's end then doesn't that show that we need more talent in the pipeline?

Or was everyone hurt on purpose to tank because once the calendar hit December the team totally gave up and didn't want to win again and then traded away .891 Kinkaid so that .918 Blackwood could help us sink closer to the bottom of the standings?

I can't keep this stuff straight anymore.

the goalies record after trading kinkaid wasnt much better. the tank was in full effect. everyone who felt a cold air the day before was injured. was i not the only one lurking the 40 post GDTs?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Dea had 5 points through about a quarter of tbe season bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->