Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not just to make Hall happy either. But to help Hughes. I think Bratt could be great with him. Playing give and go at high speeds but he also needs either a sniper or a garbage man to bury some pucks.

I just don’t see D happening. Outside of Subban, another project or middle pairing D doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Those minutes most likely are better served to developing Butcher and Smith plus giving Davies at least a chance to impress.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Not just to make Hall happy either. But to help Hughes. I think Bratt could be great with him. Playing give and go at high speeds but he also needs either a sniper or a garbage man to bury some pucks.

I just don’t see D happening. Outside of Subban, another project or middle pairing D doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Those minutes most likely are better served to developing Butcher and Smith plus giving Davies at least a chance to impress.
Ill be admittedly upset if we dont upgrade the defense from outside for a second year.

To be honest, what type of upgrade are we even looking at then? A 2nd line winger?

I dont see how that impresses Hall either, not like thats the primary reason but its still important nonetheless

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
If Spencer Knight drops down to #34, I would love for us to grab him. I was worried the Rags would pick him at #20 but thankfully that won't be the case. Kid has top goalie written all over him. Then maybe grab Bjornfot with #55.

Reactions: mtnet

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
If Spencer Knight drops down to #34, I would love for us to grab him. I was worried the Rags would pick him at #20 but thankfully that won't be the case. Kid has top goalie written all over him. Then maybe grab Bjornfot with #55.
Idk about all of that. We could really use a defenseman with that early 2nd. If we didnt have Blackwood id agree but id rather have to find a goaltender via trade than a top-3 defenseman

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Byram, Seider and Broberg will all be gone in the first round. Our chances of getting a top D prospect are slim. Why not make a push for the top goalie prospect? I am not sold on Blackwood. I would go out of my way and trade up our first 3rd and our 34th to get Knight. He will be special.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I think people need to remember we are adding a top 6 Center for free on Friday, and it will factor into Hall’s calculus.
If it was anyone else not named Taylor Hall id be inclined to agree. However Taylor has seen his fair share of 1st overalls... in fact he saw three in a row with one being Connor McDavid

Im sure it is a positive for Hall to see how good Jack is already... but unless Hall is just looking for any upgrades in general, even adding Jack and a 2nd line winger IMO isnt enough considering the biggest hole to begin with is on the left side of the defense.

I have a feeling Hall would like to stay but I think it just might not lineup with Shero’s plan. For me it all depends on that defensive upgrade or lack thereof

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If it was anyone else not named Taylor Hall id be inclined to agree. However Taylor has seen his fair share of 1st overalls... in fact he saw three in a row with one being Connor McDavid

Im sure it is a positive for Hall to see how good Jack is already... but unless Hall is just looking for any upgrades in general, even adding Jack and a 2nd line winger IMO isnt enough considering the biggest hole to begin with is on the left side of the defense.

I have a feeling Hall would like to stay but I think it just might not lineup with Shero’s plan. For me it all depends on that defensive upgrade or lack thereof

And he wanted to stay in Edmonton to play with McDavid. Need to remember he never wanted out of there despite all the nonsense.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
And he wanted to stay in Edmonton to play with McDavid. Need to remember he never wanted out of there despite all the nonsense.
Good point

Maybe im a bit too hungup on the defensive upgrade. I just cant look past it, its been a glaring issue for two years now since the Tampa series. Im probably just projecting my feelings about not acquiring one onto Hall lol

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The thing is, we don't really "know" what Hall is looking for. Is he going to leave if we don't get a top 4 defenseman? How much improvement would be enough for him? Would adding Hughes and a MoJo type trade (which would essentially be what we did the season he won the Hart) be enough? Or is the whole "he's demanded to add talent" thing overblown to begin with? As much as players like to win, sometimes being comfortable where you are and being "the guy" can be just as important as playing for a contender. Plus, how many contenders can add a $10+ million contract?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
The thing is, we don't really "know" what Hall is looking for. Is he going to leave if we don't get a top 4 defenseman? How much improvement would be enough for him? Would adding Hughes and a MoJo type trade (which would essentially be what we did the season he won the Hart) be enough? Or is the whole "he's demanded to add talent" thing overblown to begin with? As much as players like to win, sometimes being comfortable where you are and being "the guy" can be just as important as playing for a contender. Plus, how many contenders can add a $10+ million contract?
Good questions. I dont think its madeup that Hall is serious about wanting talent, hes been quoted as saying such multiple times now over the last year and a half. How much in upgrades though may be overblown

For all we know Taylor just wants a stable top-6 to command. I do doubt though that he doesnt see the defensive issues, how much he cares about them I cant attest to

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Good point

Maybe im a bit too hungup on the defensive upgrade. I just cant look past it, its been a glaring issue for two years now since the Tampa series. Im probably just projecting my feelings about not acquiring one onto Hall lol

We can’t cater to him too much. That’s how you end up giving Hayes 7x7

I am very much of the opinion that adding Hughes, Boqvist, and a Mojo type trade gives us a strong enough top 9 that we can score our way into the playoffs ala Toronto. More so with another puck mover in Smith coming in.

Now we won’t have enough defense to win in the playoffs, but in the short term that should be a good enough step forward.

If that isn’t good enough for Hall we maybe better off moving him

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad