Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
When you need to score 5g just to be in it because your tender let in 2 of the first 2-3sog and then allows more on top of that... You're gonna have a bad time. It was simply horrendous.

On the plus side, another lottery win so at least we didn't suck for nothing!

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Rumor from NJ Ledger saying Hall for Laine has been discussed

This is absurd.

The NJ Ledger isn't even a real paper/outlet.

Sure, we have NJ.com or the Star Ledger, and perhaps it was a typo (I doubt it) but the NJ Ledger is a complete work of fiction. Just like this "rumor". It's not real, it doesn't exist. This isn't even misleading, this is straight up lies.

Reactions: New Jersey

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
The NJ Hedger
Because you never know...

Brought to you by the NJ Lottery

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Palm's was a gamble too, though he was more accomplished.

I'd want to see the return, and I'd have to take the word from the scouts.

But he'd be a true righty, and he's NHL ready, unlike a couple 2nd rounders.

Would a Roslovic trade impress Hall? I doubt it.

This is probably just asking for trouble, but what, in your mind, would impress Hall? A big splash move? Multiple smaller moves to improve the team? Spending big in free agency?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
putting him in our top 6 would be a huge gamble, just like putting boqvist in our top 6. so we’d be trading assets for a gamble? pass

He wouldn’t have to be put in the top6 immediately. Of Bastian, Anderson, and Roslovic, Roslovic easily has the highest upside. The Devils can play him lower to develop him and let one of the other two play more AHL.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It is truly bizarre how shameless the journalism industry has gotten with peddling complete and utter bull**** and passing it off as some sort of "scoop"

What used to be such an honorable profession is now full of loser pundits pandering to agendas. It's a shame.
This post is just an excuse for people who don’t know what they are reading or watching.

The biggest problem are the clueless/brainwashed people who give bogus reporters and publications an audience. There are many reporters and companies who do outstanding work and who are constantly peer reviewed which ensures accuracy. Whether its sports, science, politics or world events, there are many great journalists out there who do outstanding work. People need to be more aware of what they are reading because everybody is a ‘journalist’ in this day an age of social media. Anyone can post anything and make it look like a legit and kosher publication. People need to grow a brain and be more self aware of what content they are digesting and who is behind it.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Unless it's a top-10 all-time NHL highlight goal, he pretty much counts it as, "stoppable".

That's not really true. That said, it certainly can't be called anything other than subjective as there is no objective way to determine what is or is not "stoppable". That said, there is value in the same person rating stoppable goals the same way for every team, so I think there is value in Bleeds analysis, even if you think the numbers are off by some factor in either direction.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Total lurker/outsider, so sorry for intruding, but this is really neat stuff. How do you compile "stoppable goals"? Did you go back and watch every game in the entire league?! I'm very curious.
I did them on a night by night basis all season long. So I would watch highlight videos of every game. The condensed game videos, where they would give a replay of every goal just to make sure. And if I ever needed a better look, I’d just look up the video of the goal on NHL.com.

I’ve also been doing them for the playoffs. I made a thread a while ago, but will bump once the season ends and we have nothing to talk about. And when I have more free time to post. I’ve been a bit busy lately and have gotten a social life haha. I didn’t even watch the SCF game tonight, but I will be reviewing in the OOT thread on this forum later, as I have every night this season!

Reactions: Aerrol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unless it's a top-10 all-time NHL highlight goal, he pretty much counts it as, "stoppable".
Not at all true. Actually, WAY off.

I counted only about 28.3% or so of the goals scored on goalies this year as stoppable.

In the playoffs this year, it’s been around 26.8%. Tonight’s results pending, I have counted 118 of the 440 goals scored on goalies this playoffs as stoppable.

Reactions: Aerrol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is probably just asking for trouble, but what, in your mind, would impress Hall? A big splash move? Multiple smaller moves to improve the team? Spending big in free agency?
I assume a couple fairly big moves. Ala Eberle, or a trade for Trouba.

Adding a guy like Roslovic is basically adding more of what we have a lot of, young unestablished guys with some promise.

Edit: I think it's clear that Hall wants guys that are better then what we have. Roslovic and his 24 points in 77 games is not proven to be that.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Adding a guy like Roslovic is basically adding more of what we have a lot of, young unestablished guys with some promise.

Edit: I think it's clear that Hall wants guys that are better then what we have. Roslovic and his 24 points in 77 games is not proven to be that.

I don’t think that is clear at all. We have no idea what his threshold is if it even exists.

Hughes and the kids growing could be enough, or it could be three+ blockbuster moves. We don’t know.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Does anyone think Roslovic moves the needle for Hall? I’d think it would be more of an organizational move to add another young RW with upside and as part of a deal for Trouba, with Trouba obviously being the focus.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

So if we can add a young player with upside for an affordable price we shouldn't do it because it wouldn't impress Hall enough? Isn't that kind of allowing Hall to dictate our moves? I understand we want to keep him, but I think doing things simply to impress him could be dangerous.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Matt Duchene is good friends with both Eberle and Hall.

I wonder if we should invest in a 5th round pick to negotiate with him early.

If we can lock up that deal before the draft, maybe it will change the draft focus from Hughes to Kakko.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

If we can lock up that deal before the draft, maybe it will change the draft focus from Hughes to Kakko.
say bye bye to our cap space. we will be in cap hell within 3 years

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

What a terrible idea - Jack will be better than Duchene his sophomore year, possibly even rookie year

Save some money for the defense will ya?

Most of us already dont want Eberle but hes almost a given being best buds with Hall. Only reason I think Shero should consider it is because Eberle produced his best with Taylor.

Eberle barely tries away from the puck and even then he only tries fancy shit. Hes Probably going to be a bad signing in the long run for us but we dont really have one of those yet and you sometimes need to pay for things (like a winger and keeping Hall)

Last edited by a moderator:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
It would be a risky acquisition cap-wise for sure, but in my mind you can't have too many centers, and Duchene's the kind of dynamic player that would really help get our offence off the ground.

It's much easier for a center to play on the wing than for a wing to play center. Believe Duchene has experience on the RW as well.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It would be a risky acquisition cap-wise for sure, but in my mind you can't have too many centers, and Duchene's the kind of dynamic player that would really help get our offence off the ground.

It's much easier for a center to play on the wing than for a wing to play center. Believe Duchene has experience on the RW as well.
Why are we adding another high priced forward when he wouldnt even be playing his natural position?

People are just trying to spend money at this point. Get Eberle as your RW whos vastly cheaper than Duchene and leave it at that, thats your top-6. Eberle isnt a terrible fit hes just a bitch who I dont like but unfortunately Hall does

Focus money on and time finding a defenseman for the top pair

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i don’t know about that...but it is incredibly flawed. the problem has always been 1) he’s not accounting for ‘goalable shots’, meaning saves made on shots that, if they went in, he wouldn’t count them as ‘stoppable’. so, if a goalie lets in 4 goals that he deems as stoppable, and stops 20 shots that should have gone in, the narrative of ‘he let in 4 stoppable goalz!!’ is complete horseshit. if the goalie saves those 4 stoppable goals but lets in 20 goals that were impossible to stop, then his ‘stoppable goal’ count for the night is 0, which must mean the goalie had a good game lol. it’s nonsense

2) he’s not taking the context into account. on multiple occasions, he’ll say that a powerplay (or 5 on 3) goal was stoppable because a guy walked in and shot it in without a screen or deflection. what actually happened was a guy was allowed to walk into the high slot unmolested and rip a perfectly placed slap shot bar down without any resistance. if you’re in the nhl, you should be able to score on that type of shot. i wouldn’t call it stoppable. which brings us to...3) what he deems stoppable is ridiculously subjective. and 4) every goal ever scored on a goalie is technically stoppable, so the subjective label itself makes no sense.

there’s nothing wrong with saying a goalie should’ve stopped a puck, those kinds of debates have been going on FOREVER...but treating it like meaningful data is a fool’s errand

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

yeah thats a terrible plan

I was all aboard the Duchene train before we won Hughes but theres no need for him anymore, especially at $9+ million/year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad