Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Can someone refresh my cba memory. If a deal were to be made with Trouba and we agree with him on an extension, are we able to do an 8 year extension or only a 7 year deal? For example, we acquire him July 1, are we eligible for 8 year extension the next day?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Can someone refresh my cba memory. If a deal were to be made with Trouba and we agree with him on an extension, are we able to do an 8 year extension or only a 7 year deal? For example, we acquire him July 1, are we eligible for 8 year extension the next day?

I believe so, yes

once the player is your property you can offer them the max years

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I thought I read that in order to get an 8-year deal, the player had to be on a team at the Trade Deadline???

Maybe I’m confusing that with something else.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Stone belonged to Vegas as of the deadline so was eligible for an 8 year deal. Erik Karlsson was not eligible for 8 years with San Jose until this year's trade deadline. Trouba would not be eligible for the 8th year with a new team until after the next deadline.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Severson is better
Vatanen is on the same level
no way is Butcher better
Ty Smith hasn't played 1 game yet so no comment there

kiwidevil

I think people are overrating Trouba if we are being honest.
Bottom line. Would Trouba be our best dman?
He may seem overrated, but if he upgrades our D, then he's worth it assuming the price won't kill us.
And with Vats potentially gone in a year, he fills a big void.

Trouba is a dman that Smith can grow with over the years as well.

kiwidevil

Problem is. Which LD is available that fits our needs and is the right age?

And do we want to pay Vats?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Problem is. Which LD is available that fits our needs and is the right age?

And do we want to pay Vats?

If you do this trade I think we ideally flip Vats this offseason for the top 4 LD we’ve been needing.

Trade - Trouba
Greene - Severson
Smith - Butcher
Muller, Santini, Davies

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Time is on your side you use it. We don’t need to do this this offseason.

Unless he bumps his head again next season we should pay him.
If we are not making a move for a ld this offseason, it is possible that the young guys prove we don't need to make a move for a ld at all.

I thought the Brodie trade was interesting in that he could be a good stop gap that we could let walk in a year. Assuming he came cheap enough of course.

Edit: I want to see Vat's play a full season before I sign him to deal, concussion or otherwise, if he misses a chunk of games again due to injury, then I think the trend is just too obvious to ignore.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think people are overrating Trouba if we are being honest.
He's, 25 years old, put up 50 points, and averaged 2:30 minutes of PK per game.

He's might not be Seth Jones, but he looks like a pretty good player.

His injury history is concerning, though he did just play an 82 game season.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I am not the biggest Vats fan. To be fair, I think he is being asked to play above his limit. He is not particularly great at anything and gets caught trying to do too much. If they could trade him and 2/3 and/or prospect for Trouba, I would make that trade. Plus, Trouba fits our core trajectory better. That 1.5-2year age difference comes into play here, especially if people think we are 1/2 years away.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I am not the biggest Vats fan. To be fair, I think he is being asked to play above his limit. He is not particularly great at anything and gets caught trying to do too much. If they could trade him and 2/3 and/or prospect for Trouba, I would make that trade. Plus, Trouba fits our core trajectory better. That 1.5-2year age difference comes into play here, especially if people think we are 1/2 years away.
I think Vats is a perfectly fine 2nd pair Dman, as is Severson but the problem is not only do we need one to be on the top pair right now, we need them to be our #1 Dman. I'd be OK with one being on the top pair if we had a legit #1. There really isn't a #1 LHD that I see being available.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
@Tretyak 20 from the last team thread, you said you wouldn't trade Hall for the 4th, I'm interested in why?

@Emperoreddy Although I think Chicago takes Byram, that would be an absolute dream scenario to walk out of this draft with Hughes AND Byram is the fourth was actually ours as well. Byram is going to be an absolute stud and I 100% wanted him when I was thinking we'd get the third pick. I actually was ALMOST disappointed we weren't going to take him. He's going to be EXACTLY what this teams been missing since Niedermayer left.

Reactions: Bet the Over

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Vats is a perfectly fine 2nd pair Dman, as is Severson but the problem is not only do we need one to be on the top pair right now, we need them to be our #1 Dman. I'd be OK with one being on the top pair if we had a legit #1. There really isn't a #1 LHD that I see being available.
Ya, either Vats or Sev's would be OK on the top pair with a legit #1.

But one of those guys has to be our #1, and then play alongside a guy who has no business being on a top pair.

It's a difficult task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad