Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't see why we would be in on Myers anyway given that we already have Vatanen and Severson holding down top 4 spots on the right side.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Eberle probably would like to get his old stats with Hall going again- those were his best years no? If it keeps Hall happy and Eberle isnt asking too much or too long - Id be willing to make that connection if we cant find a better winger like Panarin or Skinner. Problem is term for me not as much dollars.

Could maybe stand to add a bottom-6 vet but thats minor

The defense is the tricky part. Can we find a #2-3 at a price we can afford? Will they be RH or LH? Who?

Lastly, do we sign Butcher or include him in a deal? Or maybe sign him and have him play 3rd RD with Greene? If Smith cant play 2nd pair LHD though...

Eberle to me is almost a perfect fit.

Hall-Hischier-Eberle

Can call it the Ehh line.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Eberle is too soft for my taste, we don’t need more perimeter players with zero physical prowess.

I’d much rather sign Lee or Ferland if they’re available.

I believe Eberle would be a great fit on the Hall and Hischier line.

Not interested in Ferland.

If Lee makes it to UFA, he's one of the guys I would go HARD after. We need a talented big body net front presence on the PP. Lee could also play RW with Hall and Hischier or play on Hughes LW. Or even center the 3rd line. Doesn't matter. If Lee doesn't extend with the Islanders by June 26, go after him HARD.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Rooney should be above Seney and McLeod.

no chance on Seney, I guess MCLeod could be argued since hes probably best suited for another full year in Bingo

Kevin Rooney is 26 in a few weeks so he is what he is. He gives great effort but he isnt a good player whatsoever. I would hope we could do bette rthan him in the lineup.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Blake Coleman

I realize that everyone is going to cite Blake Coleman for the next 10 years when we talk about players who are in their mid 20s who are likely done developing, but Kevin Rooney is not Blake Coleman. Blake Coleman had a long history of success in college and the AHL. Kevin Rooney has neither. He's a nice guy to bring up in a pinch if you need a penalty killer, but he should not be part of the NHL roster except as a permanent extra forward.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I realize that everyone is going to cite Blake Coleman for the next 10 years when we talk about players who are in their mid 20s who are likely done developing, but Kevin Rooney is not Blake Coleman. Blake Coleman had a long history of success in college and the AHL. Kevin Rooney has neither. He's a nice guy to bring up in a pinch if you need a penalty killer, but he should not be part of the NHL roster except as a permanent extra forward.

That is probably exactly what he will be when all forwards are healthy

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
If our best bottom six option on the farm is Rooney, then we’re better off signing a vet to a short term deal. Fact is, a lot of our prospects in Binghamton right now will never amount to anything in the NHL, not even in a bottom line role, and we should fill that hole with somebody more reliable until one of them proves me wrong.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
If we're going to sign a 13th forward I think Agostino made a pretty good case for himself.

He acclimated to our style right away and played hungry every shift, plus more often than not found a way to make a positive contribution or help drive the play. He doesn't shy away from physicality and has decent size/weight to throw around too.

He's a 26yo journeyman and wouldn't cost much at all. He'd probably appreciate having the spot and it's better having him up in the press box rather than any of the kids called up and sitting around.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Certainly have a feeling Ferland will be similar to Belesky, albeit Ferland being slightly more productive to this point. If we're looking for size, I'd prefer to bring Boyle or Maroon back on something short-term, or add size/physical presence on defense via trade/free agency.

Reactions: Bet the Over

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If we're going to sign a 13th forward I think Agostino made a pretty good case for himself.

He acclimated to our style right away and played hungry every shift, plus more often than not found a way to make a positive contribution or help drive the play. He doesn't shy away from physicality and has decent size/weight to throw around too.

He's a 26yo journeyman and wouldn't cost much at all. He'd probably appreciate having the spot and it's better having him up in the press box rather than any of the kids called up and sitting around.

i’m definitely down with signing agostino. best use of $1M IMO

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Defense is in a weird situation...

The right side is significantly better than than left - So you are going to be hard pressed to upgrade on Vatanen and Severson imo and even if you do upgrade on one of those what good is going to do having 1 as 3rd defender?

But the left side is full of Youth...Smith, Butcher, Davies, Mueller - And of course not youth but Greene. So any upgrade on the left side is going to hit the development of the youth...

Believe it or not but I think the Devils need to Standpat. Phase Greene out this season and see where you stand with Butcher, Davies and Smith. I do believe that is the best approach - Do nothing.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The Defense is in a weird situation...

The right side is significantly better than than left - So you are going to be hard pressed to upgrade on Vatanen and Severson imo and even if you do upgrade on one of those what good is going to do having 1 as 3rd defender?

But the left side is full of Youth...Smith, Butcher, Davies, Mueller - And of course not youth but Greene. So any upgrade on the left side is going to hit the development of the youth...

Believe it or not but I think the Devils need to Standpat. Phase Greene out this season and see where you stand with Butcher, Davies and Smith. I do believe that is the best approach - Do nothing.
That would be ridiculous... no upgrades on the defense for almost two whole years?
Hard pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad