Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He has produced consistently his entire career. Even this past season he had 19 goals. Lets take out the names and replace them with goals. These are low estimates.

25-20-20 (Eberle)
15-15-30
2o-15-15
5-10-x

This would put the Devils in a similar spot as last year. Around 200 with 10/20 goals from the defense.

We need Bratt and Nico to contribute more in the form of goals. Or sign one of Skinner/Lee and Eberle/Nyquist. Use Bratt/Zacha on Second PP or PK. Roll 4 lines. Good depth. Lee on Hughes’ line would be awesome. Can help take some of the pressure off Hughes and you can rotate them if you want to give Hughes a break.

25-20-20
(Lee)30-15-30
20-15-15
15-10-x

A good threshold for the Devils to aim for is 250GF. Last year’s team had 248 and took the last playoff spot.

The two lowest GF in the playoffs are the Islanders at 228 (best GA) and Dallas at 210 (2nd best GA).
Not to mention IIRC Eberle’s best years were with Hall

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I'd be a little surprised if they moved Matheson, but Hoffman seems like the easiest guy to deal if they were able to sign Panarin. Although I'd be curious if they'd try to deal him to the West rather than a potential competitor.
If packages are relative then sure, but Hoffman isnt a Karlsson type talent you make sure is out of conference unless the package is similar to Eastern offers

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Anyway, I don't like T.J. Brodie, but I think with the D the Flames have got they would consider trading him. I'd take him and Michael Stone for a 2nd round pick and Santini and whatever else of the marginal forwards they wanted. Or maybe something built around Frolik and Brodie. Whatever the case, Brodie seems good enough for one year. I'd also put Ty Smith on the right side - that's where he played in junior and while that's a challenging adjustment, he could be on the 3rd pairing and ease into the NHL a bit there.

I could hear arguments for guys like Martinez and Brodin and whatever else - I'm not opposed to those guys either, but I think Brodin in particular will be more expensive than he should be.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Anyway, I don't like T.J. Brodie, but I think with the D the Flames have got they would consider trading him. I'd take him and Michael Stone for a 2nd round pick and Santini and whatever else of the marginal forwards they wanted. Or maybe something built around Frolik and Brodie. Whatever the case, Brodie seems good enough for one year. I'd also put Ty Smith on the right side - that's where he played in junior and while that's a challenging adjustment, he could be on the 3rd pairing and ease into the NHL a bit there.

I could hear arguments for guys like Martinez and Brodin and whatever else - I'm not opposed to those guys either, but I think Brodin in particular will be more expensive than he should be.
Im confused, you want to trade assets for a rental in Brodie?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah, I'm firmly on the trade Butcher for an upgrade train. Masiask (sp?) did a piece on him in The Athletic, and once he was given more than bottom-pairing minutes at even strength he got absolutely cratered on both sides of the ice.

Was he? I ask because I thought I’ve seen some advanced stats that suggest he was holding his own as a mid pairing guy? I don’t claim to know but I agree that if Butcher can’t move up above third pairing from a defensive standpoint he’s the seemingly obvious candidate to trade for an upgrade. Probably an older more expensive upgrade but that’s a trade NJ can make with Greene at the end of his term and guys who can offer at least something of what Butcher does in Smith and hopefully Davies.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks smith shouldn’t be looked at as a “lock” for next season. When we drafted him I recall Castron saying he needed a few years in juniors and didn’t want to rush a kid of his talent level. He’s only 19 and I think that especially at his position I wouldn’t want to throw him to the wolves. By no means am I saying he’s not ready but I think we should wait and see before plugging him in as a top 4 guy next season

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
You stand Pat because your team sucks and you are still VERY much rebuilding.

Good lord is this wrong in every conceivable way. The only time you plan on “standing pat” is if you are historically bad like Buffalo in 2015 or if you don’t have the means to add new players.

This is a team that will be adding a likely elite center for nothing, has cap space galore and assets to spend when there are a number of top forwards who might be available in free agency and a top pairing defenseman in the prime of his career that you can buy relatively low on in a trade, among other possibilities.

If the plan is to “stand pat” we should give up and become Ranger fans.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Im confused, you want to trade assets for a rental in Brodie?

Yes. Because the Devils are positioned reasonably well in the future down the left side (maybe), they need a guy for at least one year, and it's not reasonable to sign free agents for one year unless they're bad, plus there isn't a lot out there this year (or any year). They can afford a move like this with the assets they have at present.

They cannot trot out a left side of 37 year old Greene, Butcher, and Smith/Davies/Mueller whatever next year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks smith shouldn’t be looked at as a “lock” for next season. When we drafted him I recall Castron saying he needed a few years in juniors and didn’t want to rush a kid of his talent level. He’s only 19 and I think that especially at his position I wouldn’t want to throw him to the wolves. By no means am I saying he’s not ready but I think we should wait and see before plugging him in as a top 4 guy next season

Maybe it's BS, but Hynes said when they sent him back to junior that they thought he could have a large role in the NHL in 2019-20 but that he wasn't ready for that yet, and they wanted him to have the whole year in junior to prepare for that. I'd be very surprised if he returned to junior, but I agree that people penciling him in as a contributor next season have forgotten what most rookie players are like.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

The problem is he doesn't have much if anything to prove in Juniors. He dominated that league this season and he can't go to Binghamton yet.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I think Subban could likely be had for our 2020 first as the main piece, and certainly not that and Ty Smith. He’ll be 30 and his salary will be prohibitive for a lot of teams.

In any case, I’d rather use the 2020 first as an asset for Trouba if he’s interested in playing for us long term.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Yes. Because the Devils are positioned reasonably well in the future down the left side (maybe), they need a guy for at least one year, and it's not reasonable to sign free agents for one year unless they're bad, plus there isn't a lot out there this year (or any year). They can afford a move like this with the assets they have at present.

They cannot trot out a left side of 37 year old Greene, Butcher, and Smith/Davies/Mueller whatever next year.
I dont disagree that we need a LH guy this year for the top-4

But I feel Brodie will cost only slightly less than a guy with some term. Hes playing top pair minutes (and IMO Giordano is pumping him up) and Calgary is trying to contend. Idt we should be spending assets on a rental.

At that point id rather sign an older vet to play the top pair for a year or two like Edler. Saw his name mentioned in the trade forum. Whats the worst that happens, Smith steps up in the usual 10-15 games Edler misses?

We save assets and get a 23+ atoi guy (if thats the route we take and dont trade for a guy with term)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think Subban could likely be had for our 2020 first as the main piece, and certainly not that and Ty Smith. He’ll be 30 and his salary will be prohibitive for a lot of teams.

In any case, I’d rather use the 2020 first as an asset for Trouba if he’s interested in playing for us long term.
Trouba is a RHD though... i doubt were making 2-3-4 moves in one off-season on defense

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

he shouldn’t come up simply to make us a better team, he should come up if it’s better for his long term development. looking at what he did this season in juniors, there doesn’t seem like there is much more for him to learn at that level

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Trouba is a RHD though... i doubt were making 2-3-4 moves in one off-season on defense

If you get Trouba, Vatanen becomes expendable. He’s on the last year of his deal and doesn’t have an NTC. I agree with other people that trading Severson for Trouba is kind of a lateral move.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
The problem is he doesn't have much if anything to prove in Juniors. He dominated that league this season.

I agree. I mean, he played well enough last year to actually make the team but they sent him back to juniors for another year because it was absolutely the right thing to do for development.

As pointed out, he did very well in the WHL this year. 7-62-69 in 57gp and wc defenseman of the year (with Josh Brook in the east). He's renowned for good character too, highly respected among teammates.

We were fortunate he fell to #17, seemed a majority of scout rankings had him higher. There were some reaches ahead of us.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Definitely not, but he would help make our defense core deeper. He is a top 4 defenseman, and he will only cost cap space. But as I said, anything longer than 4 years I have zero interest. zero

He's a top 4 defenseman replacing two top four defenseman. I wouldn't move Vatanen or Severson and have him take their place.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I'd be a little surprised if they moved Matheson, but Hoffman seems like the easiest guy to deal if they were able to sign Panarin. Although I'd be curious if they'd try to deal him to the West rather than a potential competitor.

The Panthers appear to have a thing with Tampa, but otherwise it seems like they're pretty much open for business with anyone and just want to get the best return they can. I think everyone is also looking at how Ottawa had to sell very low on both Hoffman and Karlsson because of a conference restriction and won't make the same mistake.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
By the way, is there any evidence that Shero and Hynes are as obsessed as we are of having 3 RHD playing on the right side and 3 LHD playing on the left side?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, is there any evidence that Shero and Hynes are as obsessed as we are of having 3 RHD playing on the right side and 3 LHD playing on the left side?
No

There’s not. That’s why I don’t bother taking it into account when suggesting a righty defenseman and a lefty defenseman are competing for the same spot.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
based on his performance in preseason last september, he was 90% ready. he should be turning pro next season

is he allowed to play in the A? i forget the contract rights for CHLers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad