Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I wonder if Shero goes the FA route and spends cap or if he continues to trade 2nd rounders hoping to find the next under used player.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Which players fall under the category under-used? Who are the candidates? Realistically.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Damon Severson put up 39 points in a year where we stunk and a lot of people are trying to leverage his value into a trade as a 24 year offensive defenseman... why is it unreasonable to think the same with Will Butcher, who is a 24 year old offensive defenseman.
Because the idea of trying to offload Severson, like trying to offload Butcher, is a horrible take. These guys are young and growing into solid top 4 roles. They're guys you build the defense around. Yeah, you wanna add a top 2 defenseman to the group for sure, but Severson and Butcher are as solid as they come for your middle pairing or 2-4 defensemen. Neither of them are number 1's, but I'm still confident Severson can take another step forward to become a solid 2, and Butcher is way improved over last year. Pulling out one of those guys and trying to swap them for an upgrade is reckless and counter to the team Shero has been building, I think.

The only rationale i can kind of get behind is the idea that Butcher is a guy Shero went after while he inherited Severson. Maybe that makes Severson more expendable, but his production and play over the past few years has only improved. I wouldn't move either of those guys. I'd try to swap Vatanen before either, and I'm not interested in doing that either.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You take a step back if you move Vats Butcher or Severson. You add to these guys.

??? Vatanen
??? Severson
Greene Butcher

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Because the idea of trying to offload Severson, like trying to offload Butcher, is a horrible take. These guys are young and growing into solid top 4 roles. They're guys you build the defense around. Yeah, you wanna add a top 2 defenseman to the group for sure, but Severson and Butcher are as solid as they come for your middle pairing or 2-4 defensemen. Neither of them are number 1's, but I'm still confident Severson can take another step forward to become a solid 2, and Butcher is way improved over last year. Pulling out one of those guys and trying to swap them for an upgrade is reckless and counter to the team Shero has been building, I think.

The only rationale i can kind of get behind is the idea that Butcher is a guy Shero went after while he inherited Severson. Maybe that makes Severson more expendable, but his production and play over the past few years has only improved. I wouldn't move either of those guys. I'd try to swap Vatanen before either, and I'm not interested in doing that either.

How can you build a D core around two middle pairing D men, with Butcher not yet proving to be a legitimate 3 or 4. You usually build a D core around top pairing D men. If they can upgrade while using Butcher as a main piece (who is not signed and who knows what he will be asking for) then I don't see why that's such a bad thing. Severson has showed more potential and more ability to play big minutes than Butcher so I'm not sure they are going to move severson just because he didnt sign him originally.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Subban is the best idea I've heard in a while. If Shero can bring him in, I think the team is transformed. I assume deal would need to include at least a cost controlled top 4 D, a top prospect, and a pick.

Zacha + Butcher + 1st? Zacha + Severson + 2nd?

It'd be a huge gamble as Subban hasn't really led a winning D corps. But, I think that would be a great challenge. Maybe get Stevens back to work with him? Subban is 30, so it's now or never time with him.

I dunno - with Subban's age, I'm talking myself out of this. But other than Carolina, Calgary, Nashville - who else really has D to trade? And, as we know, defensemen go at a premium. If you can get 4-5 really good years out of Subban, is it worth it? Can he mentor Smith and Vats?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I've said this before, but I'd love to get Brodin from Minnesota in a cap relief move. If we could do it for Butcher who's cost controlled for a few more years + maybe one of our acquired 2nds, I'd be thrilled. I see Brodin as a great fit for our need for a good, mobile defensive D with 1st pairing upside, and seems like he'd pair perfectly with Vatanen.

Otherwise, I think our best option is to move Butcher to the right side.

Also, If Smith and Davies are both ready to step up, I wonder what Montreal would offer for Butcher. Reportedly, they're looking for a LHD that's not necessarily going to be a 1D, but can run their PP. Seems Butcher could fill their needs nicely.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
should zacha be a 2LW lock? he's GOTTA get a look. it'd be wrong to demote him to 3rd line, considering his production on this crappy team at the end of the season

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
should zacha be a 2LW lock? he's GOTTA get a look. it'd be wrong to demote him to 3rd line, considering his production on this crappy team at the end of the season
Hughes needs to be with at least one pure scorer though. Maybe Palmieri or someone new we bring in. But I can see Zacha bungling away chances created by Hughes lol.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I’m not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I’ve seen a lot of silly proposals by Vancouver fans trying to get Jack. Obviously where I’m going with this is what it would take for us to acquire Quinn? What would be a good proposal for them? Ty Smith & McLeod/future second/other prospect?

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
If Hughes is ready, here's my hopefully realistic expectation for next season:

Hall - H/H - Palmieri
Skinner/Panarin/Dzingel - H/H - Simmonds
Wood - Zacha - Bratt
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen

I do not believe we can afford more than one of Skinner/Panarin/Dzingel, given Nico will need his extension in the near future. I'm not sure what we do on defense. Even if Smith is better than expected, it's still kind of mess and I don't see us going after EK, so I guess we just load up on prospects or try to work some magic with the picks with have available.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
There's a proposal on the Trade board of Ty Smith, McLeod, and next year's unprotected first for Quinn Hughes that Vancouver fans are laughing at. I don't see how that's a lopsided trade and could end up bad for us if Hall and others get injured and we suck again next year.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
There's a proposal on the Trade board of Ty Smith, McLeod, and next year's unprotected first for Quinn Hughes that Vancouver fans are laughing at. I don't see how that's a lopsided trade and could end up bad for us if Hall and others get injured and we suck again next year.

Smith is likely underrated on HF due to his draft position.

Reactions: Oneiro

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California

Hall - H/H - Palmieri
Wood - Zacha - Bratt
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen

I do not believe we can afford more than one of Skinner/Panarin/Dzingel, given Nico will need his extension in the near future. I'm not sure what we do on defense. Even if Smith is better than expected, it's still kind of mess and I don't see us going after EK, so I guess we just load up on prospects or try to work some magic with the picks with have available.

Signing two FA forwards will leave us really cap strapped with Hall, Hischier, Butcher, Bratt, and Zacha (if he keeps progressing) due for raises soon. Money would be better spent on D.

Reactions: Darkauron

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Subban is the best idea I've heard in a while. If Shero can bring him in, I think the team is transformed. I assume deal would need to include at least a cost controlled top 4 D, a top prospect, and a pick.

Zacha + Butcher + 1st? Zacha + Severson + 2nd?

It'd be a huge gamble as Subban hasn't really led a winning D corps. But, I think that would be a great challenge. Maybe get Stevens back to work with him? Subban is 30, so it's now or never time with him.

I dunno - with Subban's age, I'm talking myself out of this. But other than Carolina, Calgary, Nashville - who else really has D to trade? And, as we know, defensemen go at a premium. If you can get 4-5 really good years out of Subban, is it worth it? Can he mentor Smith and Vats?
Maybe I'm off base here, but Subban's contract paired with his horrid year does not garner a return anything close to the above.

And if he is moved AGAIN, I'm starting to believe some of the character concerns. Whether he donates money is irrelevant and has nothing to do with his locker room/team presence.

I think he is the perfect trade target...but that price is rich.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Maybe I'm off base here, but Subban's contract paired with his horrid year does not garner a return anything close to the above.

And if he is moved AGAIN, I'm starting to believe some of the character concerns. Whether he donates money is irrelevant and has nothing to do with his locker room/team presence.

I don't see it requiring THAT much.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We need an upgrade on defense and if it's on the right side, like Subban or EK for example, so be it.

With what has been said regarding PK, I think we're a very solid option to land his services if he were to be dealt this summer. I would send them Severson + 2nd in a heartbeat, pushing Vatanen to a 2nd pairing and adding a legit top pairing dman who can run a PP.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We need an upgrade on defense and if it's on the right side, like Subban or EK for example, so be it.

With what has been said regarding PK, I think we're a very solid option to land his services if he were to be dealt this summer. I would send them Severson + 2nd in a heartbeat, pushing Vatanen to a 2nd pairing and adding a legit top pairing dman who can run a PP.
I for one am surprised that you have a trade proposal that includes Severson.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Hall - H/H - Palmieri
Wood - Zacha - Bratt
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen

I don’t want any part of Simmonds and the contract he’s going to get this summer.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Fans always over-value their own players. They're doing it, but it's also possible we're doing it with Smith too.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Fans always over-value their own players. They're doing it, but it's also possible we're doing it with Smith too.

I love Quinn Hughes but he's not worth someone who is very similar to him, plus mcleod, plus an unprotected first from a team that was just bottom 3. Quinn hughes is no doubt a better prospect than Ty Smith but the gap isnt huge there. Neither team would ever even have that conversation though, just doesnt make sense.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Signing two FA forwards will leave us really cap strapped with Hall, Hischier, Butcher, Bratt, and Zacha (if he keeps progressing) due for raises soon. Money would be better spent on D.
I did a little spreadsheet for 2020-2021. Presuming a cap of 84M and we re-sign Hall to 11M, Nico to 7M, Bratt to 6M, Vats to 6M, Butcher to 3M, Blackwood to 2M, and Agostino to 1.2M, we still have close to 16M. Going forward, we'd have to keep a bit to re-sign Hughes after a couple more seasons, but Cory's 6M comes off the books by that time. I think the only optimistic number I used there was Blackwood at 2M, but I presume we sign him to a bridge deal as a backup. If he really takes over the 1G slot and commands a much higher salary, it would be a really, really good problem to have.

16M buys us a LOT of UFA.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Anybody watching the US/Finland game? Hughes looking good so far. Also kind of impressed by Drew Helleson - big right shot D. Wonder where he's projected in the draft?

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Those numbers are way up there. I don't see Bratt making $6 million after his ELC, no way. It will be a bridge deal at around $3 million.

I doubt Nico gets $7 million too. I think he also signes a bridge deal at around $5 million.

I also don't think Hall is getting more than $10 million per year by the Devils. And that's the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad