Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - Season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You’re forgetting the absolute hard on that Hynes has for Rooney.
3cag68.jpg

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Except... the idea is that the CHL wants to KEEP the exceptional talent if they don't make the NHL.
so then good players will flock to NCAA - could an argument be made that the quality of competition in NCAA is higher than CHL? if i'm gonna develop as a player and I have no chance at making the NHL, i might as well get a degree

Reactions: glenwo2

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
so then good players will flock to NCAA - could an argument be made that the quality of competition in NCAA is higher than CHL? if i'm gonna develop as a player and I have no chance at making the NHL, i might as well get a degree

If you are a forward the style of play in the NCAA can be a problem at times. A lot of teams muck it up and it doesnt set up the best environment to develop skill. For D though I think its a very good league to develop in.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Do they flock there right now?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

You have to want to be a student to play college hockey. You also have to make that decision at whatever age you’d start major junior since NCAA considers CHL a pro league. It’s a tough call for a 14-15 year old.

Reactions: Call Me Al

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm sure if the NHL club compensated them financially they'd be more amenable.

For players who are 19 and 1st round picks on an ELC, the NHL team should be able to buy out transfer rights for like $250k or something.

kiwidevil

Seems like Hynes likes to experiment deep into the preseason games and even the practices.

With so many new players it would be good to see some things locked in.

I was expecting a slow start for the first 20 or so games with all the new players. That could be worse than 20 games if we are still in flux, the practice before game 1.

Reactions: njd118

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wouldn't be surprised if both Nico and Bratt break out offensively this year. Not that either one has been a slouch offensively to this point, but if they can hit an even higher level of production we could be in for something special.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
If you are a forward the style of play in the NCAA can be a problem at times. A lot of teams muck it up and it doesnt set up the best environment to develop skill. For D though I think its a very good league to develop in.
doesn't the NCAA have a reputation to prepare guys for the NHL better though? sure, CHL lets skill guys do well, but there are a ton of great skill guys who never develop well/can make the leap. one could argue that playing in the more physical NCAA would allow you to prepare more for the reality of men

You have to want to be a student to play college hockey. You also have to make that decision at whatever age you’d start major junior since NCAA considers CHL a pro league. It’s a tough call for a 14-15 year old.
but if the CHL has a clause that lets you leave to join the AHL/NHL, wouldn't that make it more appealing?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
doesn't the NCAA have a reputation to prepare guys for the NHL better though? sure, CHL lets skill guys do well, but there are a ton of great skill guys who never develop well/can make the leap. one could argue that playing in the more physical NCAA would allow you to prepare more for the reality of men

but if the CHL has a clause that lets you leave to join the AHL/NHL, wouldn't that make it more appealing?

But the NCAA starts, at it's earliest at 18, more often then that guys start at 19, or even 20.

Guys are playing juniors at 16.

And some guys do go the pay your own way route, in the USHL or the NAHL, but there are a couple in Canada as well. For instance Cale Makar played in the AJHL then went on to College in the states.

I think the BCHL is another.

Reactions: dood and My3Sons

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018

If a player like Clarke played in the NCAA he wouldnt benefit because he needs to hone his skills more, I think if you are very skilled and developed well already than playing in the NCAA can help with what you are mentioning. But if you need to hone your skills more and arent an elite talent I dont think its the best thing for a 18-19 year old, maybe at 20 and up though. Guys like Tkachuk, Eichel, Connor etc were already very skilled and developed so playing that college game where they can get action against bigger/older guys makes sense.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Greene still on the top pair. Dellow must be screaming at Hynes lol. Guys been getting wrecked possession wise for 3 seasons in a row and it’s only getting worse, let’s keep him there. :popcorn:
The one caveat I would have to that is, I think all 3 of those pairings will likely get a fair share of the toi, as well as the tough situation work load.

So Greene is with Subban, but it may not be a tradional top pair. Similarly with the 3rd pair. Severson is likely not going to play only 15 minutes.

Same goes for our 4th line. Even if Hayden is on that line, I doubt Hynes limits Wood and Zacha all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad