Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'm not going to be surprised if Cory isn't bought out at the end of the year, or whenever, regardless of how he's playing. We already have a ton of cap space and can ride out his contract to the end if need be. The complicating detail about a compliance buyout is that our ownership, between owning the Devils and the 76ers, is losing a TON of money right now. Forking over a lot of money just to get rid of a player when you have no income for a while is a hard pill to swallow.

there is zero reason to buy cory out why would they? Just send him to bingo or bribe Seattle to take him. How many years does he even have left? 2? It’s not worth it.

a team in the bottom of the league shouldn’t be buying out players

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
there is zero reason to buy cory out why would they? Just send him to bingo or bribe Seattle to take him. How many years does he even have left? 2? It’s not worth it.

It’s not a money issue as I see it. To me it’s more about goalie being the one position you can’t carry an extra body that easily. Maybe you can carry him as a backup at the AHL level? You can’t presume his health or game can be counted on at the NHL level even if you want to give him every opportunity. You don’t want to have to rely on him the way he has flamed out the past two seasons. I’d expect NJ to sign a veteran NHL goalie to compete with MBW and Cory at a minimum. At Bingo they probably need to make Senn the starter and see if he can mature. I’m not sure if that will be it for goalie prospects for next season. If you think Cory is ok giving it a go in training camp and maybe getting sent down if he can’t beat out someone then sure but I’m guessing if Cory isn’t in NJ’s plans he’d rather be bought out to try to catch on elsewhere.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

A team stays at the bottom of the league because of poor goalies like Schneider currently is.

You don’t think if we didn’t play two shitheads like Schneider and Domingue in the non-Blackwood games that we wouldn’t have a few more points?

We bought out Cammalleri when we were at the bottom of the league.

It’s probably safer to buy out players when you’re at the bottom of the league than when you’re capped out and at the top of it. This would not apply to Schneider though, as he has only two years left.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Just because we bought our camaleri doesn’t mean it was the right move.

The devils aren’t competing anytime soon cory isn’t an issue he would be if this team was going to compete. If he can’t hack it in the nhl put him in the ahl. Put him as the backup down there problem solved.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just because we bought our camaleri doesn’t mean it was the right move.

The devils aren’t competing anytime soon cory isn’t an issue he would be if this team was going to compete. If he can’t hack it in the nhl put him in the ahl. Put him as the backup down there problem solved.
The Devils could be an okay team as soon as next season if we had a competent goalie behind Blackwood. We did not this year and we really didn’t last year either.

Enough of this insanity of forcing Cory on the team. Marty is already jealous he didn’t get this much rope at the end and the broken down 40+ year old Brodeur wasn’t even as bad as Schneider of the last two years.

Some of you people act like it’s your money that’s getting spent on the buyout.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The Devils could be an okay team as soon as next season if we had a competent goalie behind Blackwood. We did not this year and we really didn’t last year either.

Enough of this insanity of forcing Cory on the team. Marty is already jealous he didn’t get this much rope at the end and the broken down 40+ year old Brodeur wasn’t even as bad as Schneider of the last two years.

Some of you people act like it’s your money that’s getting spent on the buyout.

im not forcing cory on the team I just don’t see the reason to stretch out a bad contract longer then needed when the team is bad. Throw him to Albany for two years and bring in a regular nhl backup case closed.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
im not forcing cory on the team I just don’t see the reason to stretch out a bad contract longer then needed when the team is bad. Throw him to Albany for two years and bring in a regular nhl backup case closed.
Just buy him out and let him try to find work elsewhere in the NHL next season. He has no chance of that next year if he’s not bought out.

It’s time to just divorce ourselves from him as a player. It gives him somewhat of a chance at continuing his career and it doesn’t handcuff the player here.

We’re gonna get bent out of shape over $2 million for 4 years? That’s nothing.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

Yeah, this makes the most sense to me. He's fine in the AHL - let him mentor whatever youth we have coming up through the ranks.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Yeah, this makes the most sense to me. He's fine in the AHL - let him mentor whatever youth we have coming up through the ranks.

And it gives us a veteran 3rd stringer. Which unless we are willing to lean on Senn as our 3rd stringer(I know, not a vet), we would need to go out and pay for anyway.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Not for nothing, but Cory himself makes more money not being bought out. He only gets 2/3rds of his contract if bought out. So he only (ha, "only") gets $8M of the $12M owed to him, and that's spread out over 4 years, not 2.

Riding the bus in Bing for two years, he not only gets his $12M, but he also gets more than if he plays in the NHL because players don't pay escrow in the AHL; he'd make more money playing for Bing than the big club. A quirk. for sure.

Just buy him out and let him try to find work elsewhere in the NHL next season. He has no chance of that next year if he’s not bought out.

This logic begs the question: do you think Cory is an NHL caliber goaltender still?

If so, shouldn't we keep him, since we have no cap concerns for the rest of his contract and no other NHL caliber goalies (Besides Blackwood)?

If not, then who would sign him after he's bought out, and would they sign him at a contract high enough that he'd make back that $4M he's missing out on if he's bought out?

Reactions: Taylors lost step

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
A team stays at the bottom of the league because of poor goalies like Schneider currently is.

You don’t think if we didn’t play two shitheads like Schneider and Domingue in the non-Blackwood games that we wouldn’t have a few more points?

We bought out Cammalleri when we were at the bottom of the league.

It’s probably safer to buy out players when you’re at the bottom of the league than when you’re capped out and at the top of it. This would not apply to Schneider though, as he has only two years left.

Did you watch the last few real games with Cory? He’s clearly back and ready to soldier on for years to come. And don’t get me started on those virtual games. Back to back 90+ save performances! That’s really impressive and I’ll throw in a few extra exclamation points!!!! You need to get on board the Cory train. I’m thinking it’s going to be like a bad joke from a bad political satire.....four more years!! Four more years!! Four more years!!!

Now when you wake up in a cold sweat with Cory’s face plastered on giant posters on sticks and Devils fans are all crowded into the Rock wearing jerseys and cheap suits smelling like stale sweat and cigarettes yelling for four more years for Cory just as Schneider is about to mount the stage to make his victory speech you’ll know who to thank for that sweet dream....

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Did you watch the last few real games with Cory? He’s clearly back and ready to soldier on for years to come. And don’t get me started on those virtual games. Back to back 90+ save performances! That’s really impressive and I’ll throw in a few extra exclamation points!!!! You need to get on board the Cory train. I’m thinking it’s going to be like a bad joke from a bad political satire.....four more years!! Four more years!! Four more years!!!

Now when you wake up in a cold sweat with Cory’s face plastered on giant posters on sticks and Devils fans are all crowded into the Rock wearing jerseys and cheap suits smelling like stale sweat and cigarettes yelling for four more years for Cory just as Schneider is about to mount the stage to make his victory speech you’ll know who to thank for that sweet dream....
Are you TRYING to drive a stake through @Bleedred's heart?

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Too many quality choices. I don’t want to have a favorite this year, because as of now who knows what’s going on. Cyber Draft?
Imagine Montreal winning the lottery and drafting their native son.

In front of no-one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not for nothing, but Cory himself makes more money not being bought out. He only gets 2/3rds of his contract if bought out. So he only (ha, "only") gets $8M of the $12M owed to him, and that's spread out over 4 years, not 2.

Riding the bus in Bing for two years, he not only gets his $12M, but he also gets more than if he plays in the NHL because players don't pay escrow in the AHL; he'd make more money playing for Bing than the big club. A quirk. for sure.

This logic begs the question: do you think Cory is an NHL caliber goaltender still?

If so, shouldn't we keep him, since we have no cap concerns for the rest of his contract and no other NHL caliber goalies (Besides Blackwood)?

If not, then who would sign him after he's bought out, and would they sign him at a contract high enough that he'd make back that $4M he's missing out on if he's bought out?
He is not an NHL caliber goalie anymore. He’s literally be the worst (full time) goalie in the league next year if he has a full time roster spot based on his last four years. The only guys worse than him that are playing in the league full time are guys that were either called up in all likelihood won’t be playing pro hockey next year like Jimmy Howard. Cory has been an .852% goalie over the first 9 games of the season for two years in a row now. Are we really gonna let him do that for a third year in a row because we think he’s NHL caliber?

Louis Domingue is literally the only goalie in the NHL right now that has a worse save percentage than Cory since the start of the 16-17 season with a minimum of I think it’s 50 games played. There was also Michael Hutchinson, who started the year with the Leafs as their backup (because they were so capped out they couldn’t ice anything better than an AHL goalie as their NHL backup) who has been worse, but he’s out now. Any other goalie worse than Cory in that time frame is either no longer in the NHL or no longer in pro hockey of any kind.

And there will be at least 5 or more goalies on the UFA market that are better than current Cory, so finding another NHL caliber goalie or at least one that’s better than Cory won’t be hard. It’s just more rationalization in holding on to him.

And who would sign him after he’s bought out? There’s a good chance no one will, but there’s also a decent chance that someone will sign him to a one year contract to be a backup for a million or less or a PTO, because of who he used to be. I think he has a better chance of getting a deal this offseason for the NHL than a guy like Keith Kinkaid, who is now all likelihood firmly in tweeter territory and will be signed for the AHL/third string NHL role or someone like Jimmy Howard, who is two years older than Cory, has been poor for 3 years longer than Cory and just had a horrific season where even his journeyman backup wildly outplayed him. Maybe Lou gives him a shot. They’ll have an open backup spot after this year and I doubt they’ll re-sign Greiss.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

It’s time to just divorce ourselves from him as a player. It gives him somewhat of a chance at continuing his career and it doesn’t handcuff the player here.

We’re gonna get bent out of shape over $2 million for 4 years? That’s nothing.

maybe he doesn’t want to be bought out and go play as a backup on the canucks when his family lives here (example). Btw the devils don’t owe anything to cory. He should be giving back half that contract for playing so poorly and not living up to it. He won’t so why should the devils let him out of him and be penalized for it?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cory might be the most star crossed player I've seen in this league. He came up in Vancouver behind a future HOF goalie, then gets traded to another team with an aging HOF goalie. He finally gets a chance to be a legit #1 and the team in front of him is awful. His game falls apart right before the only season they make the playoffs, and he has to watch a career backup who then promptly turned back into a pumpkin the following season help get them there. Then after sucking for a while he seems to be playing better, only to cramp up in a season opener and then go back to sucking. Then he comes back after a stay in the minors and looks good...only to have the season get suspended by a freaking pandemic.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
The way I look at it, Schneider is over paid by essentially anything over the league min so about $5.1M.

Subban is probably worth half his contract so its close but I'd lean towards buying out Cory if it is one. But maybe you compliance buy out Subban and use a regular buy out for Cory in a year when he has one year left on his deal.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The way I look at it, Schneider is over paid by essentially anything over the league min so about $5.1M.

Subban is probably worth half his contract so its close but I'd lean towards buying out Cory if it is one. But maybe you compliance buy out Subban and use a regular buy out for Cory in a year when he has one year left on his deal.

There's no reason to buy out Subban's contract.

It's more than he's worth, but we can stomach $9M for two more years.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
There's no point in buying out either of their contracts.

-We have a ton of cap space for the next two years. That's the big thing. We can afford to take the hit now so we won't have to in three-ish years when we should be competitive.

-Subban is, at worst, a passable defenseman on a team bereft of those.

-Schneider can play in Bing and be a 3rd goalie that way.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah have no idea why people are obsessed with buyouts like this. we’re not replacing their contracts with max cap players and are in no danger of going near the cap even with them, plus we have players due for big contracts when these are up. in subbans case you’re not getting a better player to replace him whether you think he’s worth $9m or not. it doesn’t make hockey or financial sense.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
yeah have no idea why people are obsessed with buyouts like this. we’re not replacing their contracts with max cap players and are in no danger of going near the cap even with them, plus we have players due for big contracts when these are up. in subbans case you’re not getting a better player to replace him whether you think he’s worth $9m or not. it doesn’t make hockey or financial sense.
In fact, we may actually have problems hitting the cap floor if we were to buy him out.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There's no point in buying out either of their contracts.

-We have a ton of cap space for the next two years. That's the big thing. We can afford to take the hit now so we won't have to in three-ish years when we should be competitive.

-Subban is, at worst, a passable defenseman on a team bereft of those.

-Schneider can play in Bing and be a 3rd goalie that way.

exactly! I said it before will say it again teams in the bottom of the standings should not be buying out contracts. It will just hurt them when they will hopefully be competing and they still have to reach the cap floor and their cap hits aren’t hurting the team in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad