Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I get it with Walsh. If he does see what's available after his senior year at Harvard, why wouldn't you take advantage of it? You sign in April and start your pro career with the team who drafted you OR you wait a few months and sign EXACTLY where YOU want to go for whatever reason. It makes sense. I wish it wasn't allowed though.
Yeah, I don't really even understand the purpose of the rule. Don't you lose player rights after 5 seasons not 4 when drafted out of other leagues? Why is the US college system different?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yeah, I don't really even understand the purpose of the rule. Don't you lose player rights after 5 seasons not 4 when drafted out of other leagues? Why is the US college system different?
I don't know the specifics but if you're a senior why wouldn't you wait? There's almost no reason not to. You pick where you get to sign, you get the same deal, everything's the same but you control where you live. It seems like the most logical thing.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I mean, getting a Harvard degree is a pretty nice reason to stay another year
It’s a horrible idea from a professional viewpoint. While unlikely there is still a chance that he could get seriously hurt and costs him a big pay day. At this point he should turn pro and then go back and finish his degree at Harvard in the future he certainly would be able to afford it.
This totally smells like him going ufa at the end of the season. If he wanted to play here he would’ve turned pro

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I sincerely hope during this idle time of NHL hockey, the Devils are working on a plan to get rid of Wood, Zacha, Zajac, Butcher, Subban, Severson, and Schneider. Freeing themselves of this deadwood will only allow for a faster rebuild. Yes, they need a new coach and coaching staff and maybe more experienced GM

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I sincerely hope during this idle time of NHL hockey, the Devils are working on a plan to get rid of Wood, Zacha, Zajac, Butcher, Subban, Severson, and Schneider. Freeing themselves of this deadwood will only allow for a faster rebuild. Yes, they need a new coach and coaching staff and maybe more experienced GM
I'd say have a Snickers but that would mean you'd probably have to go out to get one which we aren't allowed to do but holy christ this is a hot take.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

You don’t expedite the rebuild by trading the 3 best NHL-caliber defensemen we have.

Dumb.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

We planning on going into next year with a total team salary cap hit of under $20 million?

Getting rid of all of those players is not realistic whatsoever.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think Luongo was the only really bad contract they had and he was able to get out of that one. The bigger question is their drafting which was pretty bad but he knows that too. I saw this article Mike Gillis ready to return to NHL, but not as general manager - Sportsnet.ca so maybe it might be for a different role within the front office

The quotes below stood out in the article. Plop these right into his job interview because this sounds exactly what the Devils owner would want. A guy who is willing to question “known” beliefs and thinks an organization is at its best when everyone is involved but specialized.

It seems to me an organization with Gillis in the lead would have Gillis as the generalist bringing everyone together and reporting to the owners. The GM, the scouting director, analytics, coach, and trainers would all own their areas but be accountable for building toward the grand vision the group came up with and was signed off by Gillis.

So it could be reasonable to bring in Gillis and keep Fitzgerald.

——————————————

“Now Gillis is keen to lend his knowledge, vision and anti-groupthink point of view to a NHL franchise”

“I’m more interested in how you build an organization, how you see results, how you measure results," said Gillis”

"I’m really interested in analytics, sports science, human performance, and how to blend those things into a high-culture organization."

“Gillis said. "I think when you have a truly high-functioning, well-organized company or sports organization that titles become less relevant. It’s more productivity and how you work together."”

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The quotes below stood out in the article. Plop these right into his job interview because this sounds exactly what the Devils owner would want. A guy who is willing to question “known” beliefs and thinks an organization is at its best when everyone is involved but specialized.

It seems to me an organization with Gillis in the lead would have Gillis as the generalist bringing everyone together and reporting to the owners. The GM, the scouting director, analytics, coach, and trainers would all own their areas but be accountable for building toward the grand vision the group came up with and was signed off by Gillis.

So it could be reasonable to bring in Gillis and keep Fitzgerald.

——————————————

“Now Gillis is keen to lend his knowledge, vision and anti-groupthink point of view to a NHL franchise”

“I’m more interested in how you build an organization, how you see results, how you measure results," said Gillis”

"I’m really interested in analytics, sports science, human performance, and how to blend those things into a high-culture organization."

“Gillis said. "I think when you have a truly high-functioning, well-organized company or sports organization that titles become less relevant. It’s more productivity and how you work together."”

Some of his buzzwords smell to me like trying to reduce human beings to numbers on a spreadsheet. I’m just not sure if that will measure the heart and intellect of players. Too many analytic data points may become stifling for a coach. It works for Bellichick because they are his data points and serve what he wants to do. Having someone else tell the coach what to do reeks of Monday morning QB and if the coach is told what to do you likely end up with Jason Garrett instead of Sean Payton. The modern specialized collaborative organization is great conceptually but it will probably require a keen understanding of the limits of applying data to humans and where to trust the people over the data. It will be interesting to see what develops.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Devils vs Hurricanes simulated game live!

This is such a gimmick and not worth it for 3000 views. It's fine if they run the game but forcing Loughlin to commentate? The novelty would wear off after about 5 minutes.

Then again I also found Abby's interview with Schneider really cringe-inducing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad