Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dls

Jan 20, 2009
NJ is getting Hasek like goaltending from Blackwood, results are skewed. Nas is not the answer.
Under normal circumstances, Nas would get a shot, but given the amount of high-quality name coaches out there, and the need for veteran coaching (with a young team) - there will be a new coach in here.

I think partially fitz being interim GM and not full is to see the type of coach he attracts. If he gets one of the big coaches out there fitz will be GM, if not they will leave there options open.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Also benching bratt for a f***ing potato is not good coaching. Blackwood is def carrying this team and coaching staff where they don’t deserve to be.

as for fitz, not completely against him tbh. He seems to have a plan and if he can make all the right moves this deadline then I’m fine for putting more faith in him. But the coaching staff, no. They can f*** off.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nasreddine should not be the coach next season. He has only started winning because Blackwood is playing out of his mind good.

I agree...but honestly even with all the big name coaches available, you're only probably getting a Nas clone anyway (i.e. a younger assistant/AHL coach) for an organization that's already broadcasted it's not going to be a contender the next couple years.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Nas has done a respectable job but I would not bring him back when proven NHL coaches like Gallant (first choice by far) and Laviolette are out there. Blackwood has also stolen many games for the Devils since Nas took over (it still counts, I know) so the Devils’ record looks much better in this timeframe than it probably should. We are playing better under Nas than Hynes for sure but that bar was so ridiculously low...it would be almost impossible not to.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I agree...but honestly even with all the big name coaches available, you're only probably getting a Nas clone anyway (i.e. a younger assistant/AHL coach) for an organization that's already broadcasted it's not going to be a contender the next couple years.

There are coaches with no name that would be doing a better job than Nasreddine. Goaltending fools GMs all the time - it fools them into keeping coaches they shouldn't and firing coaches they shouldn't.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
No offense to Cory, but I could care less about giving him a confidence boost.

If I'm starting Cory, it would only be to give Mackensie a rest against a bad team.

It's a two for one, resting Mac against a shit team and getting Cory a boost cause they are clearly keeping him the rest of the season. I absolutely want Cory gone after this season.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory should be starting Tuesday, he needs the confidence booster and Detroit is absolutely terrible so it's his best opportunity to get a win.
We should not care about Cory’s confidence at all, as he should never play another game here beyond this season. The auditioning for him is over. He should only be here to be a body to throw in goal because Blackwood can’t play every game.
No offense to Cory, but I could care less about giving him a confidence boost.

If I'm starting Cory, it would only be to give Mackensie a rest against a bad team.
Agreed. Cory is here to be a crash test dummy and that’s all he should be here for. The time to audition for a spot here has come and past. And he got more than one of them.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

Get a goal last night and get an NHL contract today.

2-Chrono_Trigger200611_2021-17-22.png

giphy.gif

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
So it's better to just assume or hope we'll get his production out of someone else that comes along?

This notion that he's easily replaceable and a secondary scorer are trash and I still get agitated when people bring it up. Since he's been here, he has scored the 7th most goals for a right winger in the league. This season that has been a complete dumpster fire, he still has career marks for goals and points per game. He is a arguably a top 10 RW in the league, he is CERTAINLY a top line RW. These types of scorers don't just grow on trees the way people think.

Let's even take the (incorrect) notion that he's a secondary player on a good team. With us having our two young centers for hopefully the next decade, all the more reason to keep a guy like that who can still be a productive goal scorer down the lineup and probably not cost much in terms of an extension with our team vs. the open market.

You can keep Kyle Palmieri as a scorer and a veteran, and use the assets in return for others to still bring guys in here while developing young talent. You need some actual semblance of proven players to be here. I have no problems dealing Vatanen or Simmonds, and could understand the logic in dealing Coleman for the king's ransom he received. It would take more than that for me to be OK with moving on from Palms.
Again, you people miss the entire point because you're blinded by the fact that Kyle already plays here. How often have we discussed Mike Hoffman here? How often have people said absolutely not to signing him because we're not close? Both Hoffman and Palms enter their UFA seasons at age 30. What's the difference? Oh, that's right, Palms plays for us.

Again, you DON'T extend guys into their mid 30s on non-playoff contending teams. That $7 million could be crucial when we're ready and we'll be giving it to a 33-35 year old because we supposedly needed his presence for development purposes lol.

It's cool to extend Palms going into his aged 31 season but heaven forbid we bring in outside players. Bad contracts are bad no matter who they play for. Extending and retaining Palms is dumb and shortsighted.

Also, is Palms going to be the guy that lifts you to a Stanley Cup or playoff berth? No? Then he's a secondary player, like most good players in the league. Get out of your feelings.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I really think short of some sort of incredible overpayment, Palms will be the next captain of this team and will be extended.

Zajac - A
Nico/Damon shares the other A

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Again, you people miss the entire point because you're blinded by the fact that Kyle already plays here. How often have we discussed Mike Hoffman here? How often have people said absolutely not to signing him because we're not close? Both Hoffman and Palms enter their UFA seasons at age 30. What's the difference? Oh, that's right, Palms plays for us.

Again, you DON'T extend guys into their mid 30s on non-playoff contending teams. That $7 million could be crucial when we're ready and we'll be giving it to a 33-35 year old because we supposedly needed his presence for development purposes lol.

It's cool to extend Palms going into his aged 31 season but heaven forbid we bring in outside players. Bad contracts are bad no matter who they play for. Extending and retaining Palms is dumb and shortsighted.

Also, is Palms going to be the guy that lifts you to a Stanley Cup or playoff berth? No? Then he's a secondary player, like most good players in the league. Get out of your feelings.

Hoffman has no reason to sign here. He's never played here and he is not from around here. He would likely only come if the Devils were offering the most years and/or the most dollars.

Palmieri has played here and is from around here. What you hope as a GM is that he will take somewhat of a discount on years because there's a kind of mutually assured destruction with him leaving as a hometown player. If you can get him to sign something like 4/28, then you can retain him without enormous risk while still keeping the value in the first two years.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Hoffman has no reason to sign here. He's never played here and he is not from around here. He would likely only come if the Devils were offering the most years and/or the most dollars.

Palmieri has played here and is from around here. What you hope as a GM is that he will take somewhat of a discount on years because there's a kind of mutually assured destruction with him leaving as a hometown player. If you can get him to sign something like 4/28, then you can retain him without enormous risk while still keeping the value in the first two years.

So can't you still do that after trading him at this deadline when he becomes a free agent in a year and a half?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I really think short of some sort of incredible overpayment, Palms will be the next captain of this team and will be extended.

Zajac - A
Nico/Damon shares the other A

That would be a double no for me.

Hischier is our guy moving forward and I don't want to resign Palmieri.

Reactions: Forge

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So can't you still do that after trading him at this deadline when he becomes a free agent in a year and a half?

You are giving up the biggest contract leverage which is the ability to sign on July 1 a year before his contract expires.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad