Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Continue though we could probably post trade specific talk in the other thread or in specific threads when trades happen with us.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Big Mac should be in net tomorrow. Although it will be amusing to read ''It's Ovechkin! Guy has 700 goals! He's the greatest goal scorer of all time!'' when Cory lets in a trickler or some top shelf shot, due to him leaving the whole short side open or moving his glove either too early or too late.

Cory and Louie make it harder to evaluate the skaters on this team, as fewer mistakes are bailed out when they're on the ice. FAR more mistakes end up in the back of the net.

And there's also a noticeable uptick in ''Severson sucks and can't play defense'' and ''Trade Will Butcher, he's terrible'' posts when those goalies are in net. Meanwhile, they're still making the same mistakes when Big Mac is in there, but the pucks seem to just magically hit him.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Big Mac should be in net tomorrow. Although it will be amusing to read ''It's Ovechkin! Guy has 700 goals! He's the greatest goal scorer of all time!'' when Cory lets in a trickler or some top shelf shot, due to him leaving the whole short side open or moving his glove either too early or too late.

Cory and Louie make it harder to evaluate the skaters on this team, as fewer mistakes are bailed out when they're on the ice. FAR more mistakes end up in the back of the net.

And there's also a noticeable uptick in ''Severson sucks and can't play defense'' and ''Trade Will Butcher, he's terrible'' posts when those goalies are in net. Meanwhile, they're still making the same mistakes when Big Mac is in there, but the pucks seem to just magically hit him.

Severson does suck in his own zone... it really doesn’t matter who’s in nets.

Reactions: ADD-devil950003

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson does suck in his own zone... it really doesn’t matter who’s in nets.
I think that's fair to say and I've always said his biggest problem is his coverage and losing his man.

I think he's improved over the years though.

In fact, he was horrific at that back in 14-15 and 15-16 more than he has been at any point since then, but coincidentally (really not so coincidentally) 14-15 and 15-16 were the last two years that the Devils had good goaltending, so we didn't hear about it as much.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They should not overplay Mac. Certain posters ingrained hatred for Cory should not be a deciding factor in overworking our one good goalie.
My biggest fear is that Cory plays well again and they keep him another year. Cory is the worst player on the team (worse than all the guys that get bitched about on here, even worse than Andy Greene, who's now gone. Probably even worse than Hayden adjusted for positions. And same thing for Louie when he's up).

But in reality, Cory shouldn't get every other game. I think 14-15 more starts this year is a good benchmark for Blackwood. That will leave him with 56-57 games played and 52-53 starts. He definitely shouldn't play 60 though or anymore than 56-57.

Cory or Louie (whichever is up) should merely be here to relieve Blackwood of having to play almost every game or hit the 60 games played mark this year. Not to audition or be evaluated.

njdevilrbny

Mar 13, 2017
Is Zacha still a disappointment in this forums eyes if he gets 35-40 points for 4th on the team in scoring?

I'm higher on him than most, but I think he can be a 50 point with excellent D once he gets his head right. He absolutely can get another 10-15 points on a better team and some improvement that we all know he has in him, and he's only 22. That's the kinda player cup teams need.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Is Zacha still a disappointment in this forums eyes if he gets 35-40 points for 4th on the team in scoring?

I'm higher on him than most, but I think he can be a 50 point with excellent D once he gets his head right. He absolutely can get another 10-15 points on a better team and some improvement that we all know he has in him, and he's only 22. That's the kinda player cup teams need.

I hope he could put it all together. He only has 6 goals this year. With Coleman and Hall leaving, expectations are higher as well.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They're not keeping Cory. He's gone, or at worst a 3rd goalie again next season.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
6 goals and topping out at 35 points is not good for zacha... at this point he will be the 4th line center/pk on a competing team

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If Zacha were actually good defensively I would be fine with his production. The trouble is he's not good defensively - the Devils do worse with him on the ice than with him not on the ice. This was true last year as well. Wouldn't mind at all if he were sent packing at the deadline for another young forward.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
There's no reason to buy Cory out or retain-to-trade him. We're going to be loaded with cap space for the next few years. Waive him and let him play in Bing.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I hope Cory plays tomorrow so it isn't Blackwood that lets in Ovi's milestone goal.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If Zacha were actually good defensively I would be fine with his production. The trouble is he's not good defensively - the Devils do worse with him on the ice than with him not on the ice. This was true last year as well. Wouldn't mind at all if he were sent packing at the deadline for another young forward.

I wonder if Zacha will improve defensively under a system focused on positioning rather than movement. I do think he does well on the PK with being in the right spots but once he has to start chasing people even strength, he’s not quick enough to do anything but get in a bad position on the ice.

I suspect a more static defensive system would see his defensive impact improve measurably.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It's an incremental improvement on paper but really it'd be a soft 35 points considering he's only got six goals to this point, and a bunch of secondary assists padding his stats.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's no reason to buy Cory out or retain-to-trade him. We're going to be loaded with cap space for the next few years. Waive him and let him play in Bing.
If we care about Cory as a human, that’s not the right thing to do either.

That’s giving him no chance of seeking employment somewhere else next year. And while there’s a good chance he won’t get an NHL contract for next year, that gives him absolutely no chance at all. I do think he has a better chance of getting an NHL deal for next year than guys like Kinkaid and Domingue because of what he used to be. Those guys are basically never-were’s.

Buying him out is much more respectful than Wade Reddening him in the minors for the rest of his contract.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Have a feeling Schneider is going to have a tremendous game tomorrow but Devils will still find a way to lose.
I actually thought he would play a tremendous game in his last start last month against the Blue Jackets and he gave up 4 goals, 3 of them were bad goals and he got yanked halfway through regulation.

He is bound to play some good games at some point because .852% is almost unsustainable for a college goalie playing in the NHL, but it shouldn’t fool anyone anymore. The numbers since November of 2016 are ugly and the numbers since December of 2017 are just astronomically bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->