Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would almost prefer the team being bankrupt and the arena falling apart than having our current owners if they’re stupid enough to hire Gillis. Guess Harris and Blitzer really like born on third and think they hit a triple types.
Canuck fan here. Gillis has done a couple of radio spots in Vancouver in 2019 before Francis for the GM job in Seattle. That’s where we figured he wanted to end up as former canucks executive Victor Debonis is working for Seattle. Gillis did say he’d rather be a president as that’s where he sees his strength. Setting up the organization and looking for areas to take best practices from other sports and leagues.

so I don’t know if he’s changed his mind or anything as the Devils have a President but that’s more business related activities that are looked after. Gillis would be Hockey Ops.

He’s being interviewed now because he’s not with another team. NJ has to wait until the end of the season to speak with people currently employed as either AGM or Senior advisors.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I have a feeling if the owners ever wanted Fitz they would have shed the interim tag by now. I feel like he's likely gone as part of the Shero fallout.
I dont see how this would be

Theres no reason to until the summer. Literally none

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Just went back and watched it but did anyone see how sassy Jack got in the Postgame interview against Detroit??

Reporter says Jack has been banged around some this year and our boy got snippy with him, saying;

‘No, I wouldnt say thats the case. I havent been banged around this year - I wouldnt know where you watched that...’

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Just went back and watched it but did anyone see how sassy Jack got in the Postgame interview against Detroit??

Reporter says Jack has been banged around some this year and our boy got snippy with him, saying;

‘No, I wouldnt say thats the case. I havent been banged around this year - I wouldnt know where you watched that...’

He's an angsty teenager sometimes

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
He's an angsty teenager sometimes
To a lot of us it would come across as cocky, smug, arrogant, etc..

However Im glad Jack is this way because its the same quality all greats have and he just so happens to be very personable and outspoken on top of that.

Outright and utterly potent confidence are what lead these guys to greatness in training and their mentality.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I like the versatility of him being able to play both sides. He can be eased into the lineup on the third pairing right side behind Severson and Subban. And he can slide up to the top 4 next to one of them if he looks ready.

I would target Brendon Dillon if the Caps are unable to resign him. He’s big, very physical, skates well, and excellent defensively. Would be great next to Severson. I believe he can also play on the right side too. He’s a few years older than Edmundson but much better.
I’d love it if we could get Dillon since I also prefer him way more than Edmundson. My biggest fear is the Caps will keep him while letting Gudas walk this off-season. Dillion has the physical edge the Caps like, the key is how good a fit he is in the playoffs.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Par for the course. But don't criticize golden boy.

Thankfully some folks are starting to come around on this board.

Didn't think this response was THAT bad though. Still more annoyed by his response in January of "I'm always confident in my game" when asked about adjusting to the NHL and what he could do better.

Hopefully he matures. He's still a kid.

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I have no problems with Jack having the season he's having at this point. It's probably more ideal that he gets humbled now than get too overconfident as he grows.

Considering the season is lost anyway, him having growing pains isn't the end of the world.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zacha is so frustrating.

If he would just shoot a little more (2 shots/game) his percentage would have him about 14 goals right now and on pace for 19 maybe 20 goals on the year. With his assist pace of 30 that would put him in 50 point territory, a huge step for his development. If he gets his 30 assists/40 points it’s still a step in the right direction but I’m sure a 20/30/50 season would’ve been great for his confidence going forward.

This kid desperately needs the right coach (or therapist) who can give him the kick in the pants he needs without doing a Hynes-job on his head.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Is it time to legitimately ask, what do we think of the Merman, Dakota Mermis?

His play has been really surprising in a positive way.

Let him compete for LHD3 next year, he’s shown that he could at lest be in the mix. Can’t hurt, especially if there are no serious playoff ambitions for 20-21 (although there could be given the team’s record since Hyneshole was shown the door).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zacha is so frustrating.

If he would just shoot a little more (2 shots/game) his percentage would have him about 14 goals right now and on pace for 19 maybe 20 goals on the year. With his assist pace of 30 that would put him in 50 point territory, a huge step for his development. If he gets his 30 assists/40 points it’s still a step in the right direction but I’m sure a 20/30/50 season would’ve been great for his confidence going forward.

This kid desperately needs the right coach (or therapist) who can give him the kick in the pants he needs without doing a Hynes-job on his head.

Zacha's problem isn't not shooting, it's not being in a shooting position. He simply doesn't have the puck in scoring areas. Last night is an exception, and he has been playing better lately on that new line, but it's not like Zacha is passing up huge chances all the time.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Mermis is far and away the best D to come from Binghamton in a while. He can't skate but he knows how to play D and isn't totally lost out there. Not an NHLer but could potentially be a first fill-in callup.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Mermis is far and away the best D to come from Binghamton in a while. He can't skate but he knows how to play D and isn't totally lost out there. Not an NHLer but could potentially be a first fill-in callup.
i think he could be a bottom pairing D. he hasn't made a lot of dumb mistakes and seems to know what he's doing. and haven't we been crying for stay at home Dmen?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Mermis is your prototypical AHL’er who gets a call-up, plays well but will eventually fall back down to earth.

If he’s in our opening night roster come next year, we’re in a world of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad