Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I was just looking at Blackwood's February numbers and they are eye popping. He didn't have a single game below .940:

LMAO how is that even possible behind this garbage defense.

Brian Boucher once went over 330 minutes without allowing a goal for a bad Coyotes team. Sometimes weird shit happens, especially when it comes to goaltenders.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The most impressive thing about Blackwood is that he's really been consistent nearly all year.

When you forgive him for that opening weekend where he came in and lost in the Winnipeg game followed by the Buffalo slaughter, here are his stats:

21-11-7, .920 SV%, 3 SO

In 2020:

8-2-3, .934 SV%, 2 SO. He's faced an average of 36 shots per start in the calendar year.

He has been our team MVP all year.

Last edited:

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
If BingDevils gets to playoff do you guys think that it would be wise to send Hughes play there? I think it would not be a bad idea at all.

I would be okay to send Hughes right now to AHL to get more ice time and get some points there.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Would people want to trade for Matheson? Would think he could be had for relatively cheap. Was thinking Mueller and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Similarly targeting someone like Brodin + Minnesota’s 2nd for Butcher and Vancouvers 1st.
I think Matheson would be an upgrade for Butcher. At least he can skate. Question is are we willing to pay a bigger cap hit and long term for that upgrade. Matheson will be 32 in the last year of that deal, so he should be still effective at that age.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
If BingDevils gets to playoff do you guys think that it would be wise to send Hughes play there? I think it would not be a bad idea at all.

I would be okay to send Hughes right now to AHL to get more ice time and get some points there.

he’s not going down. The Devils have already come out and said this. He’s learning in the NHL and when this season thankfully ends soon, he will go rest then start a weight training program and get ready for next year.

Reactions: Figgie

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't necessarily agree. I think it's best you do your actual due diligence and interview any potential candidates before making your decision.

Hell, the Blues didn't shed Berube's interim head coaching title until after they won the Cup. :laugh:

I agree. This is just a gut feeling based on who the owners are.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Speaking of, can you enlighten me how Hischier is doing? His not doing much offensively, but is he holding his own in other areas?

All things considered he is doing OK. He plays a responsible game, he does the dirty work, he plays tough minutes, definitely holding his own in the 200 ft game. He shows flashes of creativity but he is not currently a dynamic offensive players, certainly not a big time goal scorer. It has not helped that since Hall was traded(or even last year when Hall was hurt for much of the year) we don't have a consistent top line, and lately the coaching staff is experimenting with different things in order to get some young guys going, so it has been tough for him to get any momentum offensively.

People like to make the Bergeron comparison which stylistically is fair, but at this point you have to include "poor mans".

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think with Boqvist being called up they have seen just about enough of McLeod, I expect him to be traded at the draft. There is very little room in the NHL for centers who don't think the game well, regardless of skillset. If he made his shot a threat then you may have an outside chance at a Kesler but that boat has sailed, his shot weak for AHL standards.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think with Boqvist being called up they have seen just about enough of McLeod, I expect him to be traded at the draft. There is very little room in the NHL for centers who don't think the game well, regardless of skillset. If he made his shot a threat then you may have an outside chance at a Kesler but that boat has sailed, his shot weak for AHL standards.
Can't we stick him in the AHL again next year? As I doubt he has much trade value I'd rather just go that route.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Didn’t MBW have some sort of vision correction before the start of 2018-19 season?
I am not sure about that. I remember them saying on one of the broadcasts that he likes going to the gym and he was putting on too much muscle. They changed up his workout routine/diet and thought that helped.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
At this point do you want him blocking other prospects from key minutes in the AHL? I don't, if you can move him with something and get a 2nd, I believe you do it.
Ben Street, Seney, and Chris Connor, are also blocking minutes from young guys. AHL vet's are important. McLeod isn't exactly an AHL vet, but he is a guy who is familiar with the league and has had some decent success there. Plus he's all of 22.

Trading McLeod, PLUS other stuff to get a 2nd rounder sounds crazy to me.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
At this point do you want him blocking other prospects from key minutes in the AHL? I don't, if you can move him with something and get a 2nd, I believe you do it.

I wouldn’t trade McLeod for a 2nd round pick. If management wants to move him, I’d be okay with a player for player trade, just like what the Rangers and Canes did with Julien Gauthier and Joey Keane.

We need talent in Binghamton as well because our promising prospects will have to play there to kickstart their pro careers and having a winning culture can go a long way in regards to their development.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Keeping Hughes at LW1 is simply just bad coaching. Nonsense.

The thing is that he’s not producing regardless of the line he’s on, doesn’t matter if it’s at center or at wing.

We need to find the right partners for the kid because atm, he’s not doing much and Hischier’s game is also taking a beating.

Reactions: oxman44

Camille the Eel

I wouldn’t trade McLeod for a 2nd round pick. If management wants to move him, I’d be okay with a player for player trade, just like what the Rangers and Canes did with Julien Gauthier and Joey Keane.

We need talent in Binghamton as well because our promising prospects will have to play there to kickstart their pro careers and having a winning culture can go a long way in regards to their development.
I love what McLeod brings to the team. The physical strength, size, speed, skating, aggression. Since his call up he’s been involved and visible. A great guy in first on a forecheck. Yeah I wish he would finish some chances. But even that really isn’t urgent now imo. The way the league is going you need guys with his attributes. The Blues won the cup with guys like Thomas playing regular minutes. I’d play him right now over Hayden and Rooney. He’s a keeper and in a year when Zajac is gone even more valuable.

As with Zacha, the fan hostility to him is, I suppose, an inevitable result of his being a fairly high pick and thus regarded as a bust if he’a not achieving better than the average run of those picked around him.

Time will tell for sure. We will see now what management really thinks of him. Plus I do believe he thinks the game well. His positioning has been fine when I’ve watched. Not sure where that knock on him is coming from.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not sure the team can do much about Jack’s age experience or physical or mental development right now. He’s still only 18. He’s essentially a child. He’s never faced this sort of adversity as a hockey player. He has to continue to pour his efforts into video breakdowns practicing and observing similar veterans on other teams. Clearly it will take some time, probably multiple years, before we will see a developed player in Hughes. I think he’s a determined kid and he will put in the effort.

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

I’m not sure the team can do much about Jack’s age experience or physical or mental development right now. He’s still only 18. He’s essentially a child. He’s never faced this sort of adversity as a hockey player. He has to continue to pour his efforts into video breakdowns practicing and observing similar veterans on other teams. Clearly it will take some time, probably multiple years, before we will see a developed player in Hughes. I think he’s a determined kid and he will put in the effort.
I agree. Watch what he is in year 3. But the fan abuse he’s going to take between now and then - next year essentially - is scary. He’s the perfect lightening rod for frustration about the franchise and becoming the natural target. And because of this I am coming around to those who think he’d have been better off playing in Juniors or College this year, just to shelter him from this abuse. Expectations were way too high.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Without going into a should he or should he not debate. Ty Smith plays the right side as a LHD. A lot of wingers in the NHL are listed as a wing on their off hand. Are there any Ds in the NHL that are listed as their off hand? Or are all the defenseman listed by default, RHD or LHD, based on their handedness?

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
And yet Jack is still leading his entire draft class in points. I know thats not saying much but its a nice way to look at it if you want to feel better about it. He isn’t behind anyone who was drafted that year as of now.

I can see him looking so much better next season. It will come for him. But for the love of god put him back at Center. I’d actually tell Zajac to move to right wing so he can help Jack with defensive responsibilities. Its not a bad idea.

Boqvist Hischier Palmieri
Bratt Zacha Gusev
Anderson Hughes Zajac
Wood McLeod Rooney

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Teams continuously rushing top 2 picks to the NHL when they could still develo elsewhere is getting old. There are definitely players who can do great at 18, but some 1st and 2nd overalls are probably better suited to a year or two in different leagues.

This year Laf can probably jump right in and succeed, but after that I wouldn't put byfield or any of the other guys into the NHL.

Reactions: Camille the Eel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad