Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We really should have picked Kakko, Jack is a -24. We could have had Kakko who is only a -22, such a miss of a pick.
Kakko has been worse because hes on a team that has been one of the better offenses in the Eastern Conference all season. He has less points in more games than Jack. I can’t imagine a worse situation than what Jack went through with this team.

BUT, both are young and both will be fine.

Reactions: My3Sons

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Without going into a should he or should he not debate. Ty Smith plays the right side as a LHD. A lot of wingers in the NHL are listed as a wing on their off hand. Are there any Ds in the NHL that are listed as their off hand? Or are all the defenseman listed by default, RHD or LHD, based on their handedness?
I like the versatility of him being able to play both sides. He can be eased into the lineup on the third pairing right side behind Severson and Subban. And he can slide up to the top 4 next to one of them if he looks ready.

I would target Brendon Dillon if the Caps are unable to resign him. He’s big, very physical, skates well, and excellent defensively. Would be great next to Severson. I believe he can also play on the right side too. He’s a few years older than Edmundson but much better.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I like the versatility of him being able to play both sides. He can be eased into the lineup on the third pairing right side behind Severson and Subban. And he can slide up to the top 4 next to one of them if he looks ready.

I would target Brendon Dillon if the Caps are unable to resign him. He’s big, very physical, skates well, and excellent defensively. Would be great next to Severson. I believe he can also play on the right side too. He’s a few years older than Edmundson but much better.
I should have left Ty out of the question all together, but I was asking if any D in the NHL is listed as his off hand side like some wingers are.

Good post though.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I’m not sure the team can do much about Jack’s age experience or physical or mental development right now. He’s still only 18. He’s essentially a child. He’s never faced this sort of adversity as a hockey player. He has to continue to pour his efforts into video breakdowns practicing and observing similar veterans on other teams. Clearly it will take some time, probably multiple years, before we will see a developed player in Hughes. I think he’s a determined kid and he will put in the effort.

They can...send him to the AHL. /shrug

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They can...send him to the AHL. /shrug

Then he’s the bust that couldn’t even make it in the NHL. The critics will savage him until he becomes a success in the NHL. Playing in the AHL won’t change that. I wouldn’t have a problem letting him go there to work on his game but I don’t think management sees it that way.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Then he’s the bust that couldn’t even make it in the NHL. The critics will savage him until he becomes a success in the NHL. Playing in the AHL won’t change that. I wouldn’t have a problem letting him go there to work on his game but I don’t think management sees it that way.

Who cares? Right now he will be the 2nd biggest 1st overall bust anyways if we go by points. Idc what people say, his development is more important.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Who cares? Right now he will be the 2nd biggest 1st overall bust anyways if we go by points. Idc what people say, his development is more important.

And Hughes is probably in the best spot for his development, although nobody can know for sure.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
And Hughes is probably in the best spot for his development, although nobody can know for sure.

I completely disagree but hey, I'm just a clueless fan /shrug. This organization has been a complete mess...I highly doubt this is the best place for him to be atm. At least in the AHL the competition would be easier.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

i didn’t mean to debate where he should play. My point was that wherever it happens it will take time and those who expect short term results are either fans of other teams actively rooting against a child or NJ fans setting themselves up to be disappointed in the near term.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I like the way Fitz put it recently, that Jack's now knows how hard the NHL is compared to everything he faced up until that point and will have the whole off-season to improve on those key areas he needs to if he wants to have success. I don't doubt Jack's a hard worker, but facing this adversity should only make him hungrier this off-season - hungrier and hopefully smarter in how he trains/the areas of his game he focuses on.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I completely disagree but hey, I'm just a clueless fan /shrug. This organization has been a complete mess...I highly doubt this is the best place for him to be atm. At least in the AHL the competition would be easier.

Why would easier competition necessarily be better for him long term?

Hughes would certainly put up more points and possibly be dominant but he wouldn’t necessarily learn what he can and can’t do at the NHL level.

Hughes seems like he trains hard so I do think it’s helpful for him to just train towards his NHL best. For me, I think players mostly end up being whatever they will be, I don’t think it will make a large difference if Hughes played NHL, AHL, or college this season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
At 5’11 and 175 pounds Smith can and probably will gain a little weight and mass. At 5’8 Torey Krug, as a point of comparison, lists at 186 pounds. Smith is tall for his weight.
I don't know how often if ever they update those listings.

At the draft combine Smith came in at 5-10.75" and 176 lbs. I'd be surprised if he hasn't already put on 10 lbs.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
last night during the Leafs/Canucks game, between periods they were talking about how Gillis is interviewing for GM for the Devils, in case you guys missed it

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
last night during the Leafs/Canucks game, between periods they were talking about how Gillis is interviewing for GM for the Devils, in case you guys missed it

Would almost prefer the team being bankrupt and the arena falling apart than having our current owners if they’re stupid enough to hire Gillis. Guess Harris and Blitzer really like born on third and think they hit a triple types.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Reactions: trufleshufle13

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I don't know how often if ever they update those listings.

At the draft combine Smith came in at 5-10.75" and 176 lbs. I'd be surprised if he hasn't already put on 10 lbs.
Have you seen him at some of the Devils events?!

Hes beefed up for sure. Hes most certainly well over 176

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad