Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I’m not trying to be a jerk but this is absolutely not what the devils should be spending money on. Tyson Barrie is an upgraded version of what we already have. D-men with offensive talent and not much defensive acumen at all. If we were going to trade Severson and or Butcher than I’d be ok with it I guess (since they are in that exact mold just not as good as Barrie). We need two-way or shutdown dmen, not guys who you wouldn’t trust out there holding a lead. Hypothetically including Barrie and assuming Vats walk UFA. I wouldn’t trust a single dman we have to be out in defensive situations. Imo one thing I have a gripe with Ray over is that he doesn’t seem to want to address the roles on a hockey team and he just wants to stick the most skilled guy at every role. We are a poorly built team honestly bc of that.
+1

what the issue is is that shutdown/stay at home d-men are becoming rarer and rarer. and while barrie doesn't fit the mold of what we'd LIKE, it's something that we all can see ray doing

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Some are only including a 2nd round pick too instead of a 1st too :laugh:

There’s a reason Avs fans are trying to shove Jost down our throats...
3c7y69.jpg

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I would wager Keller will be as good or better than Hall over the next 5 years. Probably eclipsing him in a year or 2 when he hits his prime and Hall leaves his. I’d do that trade in a millisecond.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Keller has a kind of crappy contract. Recent prospect, but might not be worth it if he truly is a 50 point player that won’t drive the play.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It’s not worth arguing with them. They seem dead set on the idea they can get Hall for spare parts.

Some of them are acting as if the Devils are obligated to trade Hall to Colorado or not at all. There are 29 other teams in the league, Hall doesn’t have any type of NT or NMC, and I’m sure there are plenty of offers coming Ray’s way.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
How has Keller been? He is someone who can be packaged in a deal to get Hall?

I brought it up earlier in the Hall thread. Arizona fans have mentioned it but I would highly doubt it happens.
As for Keller he's on 50 point pace while playing ~17 minutes per game
It's irrelevant anyway. Can't keep building a team of hobbits with overlapping skillsets. Keller, Hughes, Bratt, Gusev....not a core to contend with. Plus Coleman and Palms aren't exactly big guys. Or Nico.

And I like Keller as a player. Just doesn't make sense. Even more importantly, he is another pass first guy.

Devils biggest holes going forward excluding goalie:
1) They need +6ft strong two-way top 4 LD. Ideally a top pair guy...but good luck finding that any time soon. Likewise, they could also use a similar top 4 RD down the road
2) They need a top 6 shooting winger
3) They need a top 9 shooting winger
4) They need a +6ft strong two-way 2/3 C

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
It's irrelevant anyway. Can't keep building a team of hobbits with overlapping skillsets. Keller, Hughes, Bratt, Gusev....not a core to contend with. Plus Coleman and Palms aren't exactly big guys. Or Nico.

And I like Keller as a player. Just doesn't make sense. Even more importantly, he is another pass first guy.

Devils biggest holes going forward excluding goalie:
1) They need +6ft strong two-way top 4 LD. Ideally a top pair guy...but good luck finding that any time soon. Likewise, they could also use a similar top 4 RD down the road
2) They need a top 6 shooting winger
3) They need a top 9 shooting winger
4) They need a +6ft strong two-way 2/3 C
We should definitely give Hoffman a look in FA. Says a lot when a guy like Zacha has the 4th or 5th best shot of all our forwards

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I’m not trying to be a jerk but this is absolutely not what the devils should be spending money on. Tyson Barrie is an upgraded version of what we already have. D-men with offensive talent and not much defensive acumen at all. If we were going to trade Severson and or Butcher than I’d be ok with it I guess (since they are in that exact mold just not as good as Barrie). We need two-way or shutdown dmen, not guys who you wouldn’t trust out there holding a lead. Hypothetically including Barrie and assuming Vats walk UFA. I wouldn’t trust a single dman we have to be out in defensive situations. Imo one thing I have a gripe with Ray over is that he doesn’t seem to want to address the roles on a hockey team and he just wants to stick the most skilled guy at every role. We are a poorly built team honestly bc of that.

Barrie and his 45 assists and career high 59 points last year isn't what we need?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Barrie and his 45 assists and career high 59 points last year isn't what we need?
I have no idea how you watch this team and think the dcore you proposed is the right way to go. It's honestly unbelievable.

Even if the dcore you listed below somehow ever made it to the playoffs, good luck getting out of the first round:

Barrie - Subban
Vatanen - Severson
Smith - Butcher

Good dcore in NHL 20 =/= good dcore in real life

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I have no idea how you watch this team and think the dcore you proposed is the right way to go. It's honestly unbelievable.

Even if the dcore you listed below somehow ever made it to the playoffs, good luck getting out of the first round:

Barrie - Subban
Vatanen - Severson
Smith - Butcher

Good dcore in NHL 20 =/= good dcore in real life
Can they defend well? Hell no, but man can they move the puck :naughty:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Radio feed

question do they even have a AM/FM feed or is it strictly through the network radio app or something like that? i wonder/ask because do you think Matty L enjoys doing these games if no one is listening? sometimes on my twitter i will see the devils retweet a tweet of his about whos going to be stopping by between periods and i think who is listening to him and chico? i know some on here probably do but outside of that how many do you think actually listen in?

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Bings’ problem are the same as the Devils’ problem and that’s defense. Nico and Hughes are dope but somehow the Devils missed out on all the “can’t miss” defenseman. Further miscues like Mueller/Subban trades falling short of expectations have exacerbated the problem. Like goalies, defenseman take time to develope. The 2019 picks won’t be see results for some time. Additionally, I wish we had Davies and the picks. Maybe Smith, and Hellickson will be ready next year.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Radio feed

question do they even have a AM/FM feed or is it strictly through the network radio app or something like that? i wonder/ask because do you think Matty L enjoys doing these games if no one is listening? sometimes on my twitter i will see the devils retweet a tweet of his about whos going to be stopping by between periods and i think who is listening to him and chico? i know some on here probably do but outside of that how many do you think actually listen in?
I do when I'm traveling for work. I'd obviously much rather watch, but you do get a lot more honesty out of those two, which makes it worth it. One because they need to explain the play a bit more instead of the "ooooohh boy" from Dano, so it's hard to not blame guys when explaining a play that went wrong to people who can't see it. And two, I think because of what you stated, they feel a bit more comfortable being a lot more free wheeling in their opinions.

Chico has always been that way, but more so now. I think it was the Buffalo game, but Matt was just destroying Bratt for a flubbed 2 on 1 with Hall. Even after they ran up the score and well into the 3rd, he kept bringing it up, and Chico wasn't holding back on any of his criticism either. Was interesting to hear from "team" guys.

Reactions: Darkauron

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Would be nice if Avs' fans would understand virtually any other team would match/beat an offer surrounding a 1st+ Jost.

This organization has ZERO need for Jost. Literally 0. To see him continually mentioned is annoying.

Devils gave up a more valuable first (at time of trade), a top 4 dman, and a prospect that looked to be having a breakout season as a potential 2nd line winger. Plus swapped 2nd rounders for Kovalchuk.

tbf..kovalchuk had a much more consistent and established resume than Hall at the time of the trade (for both players).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad