Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
not really sure how asking some hard questions about what the plan is, or why Hynes is still employed is equal to "TMZ type content"

I mean, stirring the pot just to get a reaction is certainly not far off.

The team sucks. Everyone knows it. “Our reporters don’t ask the tough questions!” really doesn’t matter or accomplish ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Asking why Hynes is still employed would be a great way to never get another interview or postgame scrum from the team ever again.:laugh:

Sort of off-topic but I don't think Manish Mehta's been ostracized just yet for basically doing that with the Jets' coach.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I get the desire to have our beat reporters to ask tougher questions, but I also don't think it matters all that much.

"Hey Ray, is Hynes on the hot seat?"

Do you really expect him to say yes?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
You know your beat writers are useless when reporters that are based in Toronto and Twitter randos have more information about the team than they do.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
not really sure how asking some hard questions about what the plan is, or why Hynes is still employed is equal to "TMZ type content"

what do you think shero would say? “oh yeah, i almost fired his bitch ass a few times, our performance has sucked and his head is shaped like a monster, double sided dildo”

if anyone asked him a ‘tough’ question, he would respond with a PR answer that you wouldn’t like anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You know your beat writers are useless when reporters that are based in Toronto and Twitter randos have more information about the team than they do.

I get the rationale for that, since our beat writers are young and generally the Canadian guys have connections on every darn team. But it would be nice to get a LITTLE pushback from the beat guys every now and again, or at least some probing question about why say a guy like Miles Wood can get immunity from the Bald Reaper despite his own problems this year.

As far as the Chere comparison, most of what he did was self-serving and attention-seeking, like claiming at one point Devil-Ranger attendance was 50% Ranger fans most of the time and sometimes even 70-75%, as if this was 1982. Or clickbait headlines. And the Devils weren't exactly a losing team in those days so guys like Chere and Everson who kicked the honey pot would probably be tolerated a little more now that the team's a dumpster fire lol. Even Tom got ripped after invoking Mickey Mouse in the wake of the lights out fiasco in the first year or two of Prudential Center.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I get the rationale for that, since our beat writers are young and generally the Canadian guys have connections on every darn team. But it would be nice to get a LITTLE pushback from the beat guys every now and again, or at least some probing question about why say a guy like Miles Wood can get immunity from the Bald Reaper despite his own problems this year.

As far as the Chere comparison, most of what he did was self-serving and attention-seeking, like claiming at one point Devil-Ranger attendance was 50% Ranger fans most of the time and sometimes even 70-75%, as if this was 1982. Or clickbait headlines. And the Devils weren't exactly a losing team in those days so guys like Chere and Everson who kicked the honey pot would probably be tolerated a little more now that the team's a dumpster fire lol. Even Tom got ripped after invoking Mickey Mouse in the wake of the lights out fiasco in the first year or two of Prudential Center.

Chere had information about what was going on with the team that I couldn’t figure out just by watching the games. TG and even AG did too. Like they would be telling us if Hynes actually were on the hot seat and what actually was going on with Taylor Hall. Even if they were speculating, you could trust that their speculation was at least informed. Now one beat writer exchanges duck gifs with Todd Cordell and the other one spends half her time giving misinformed opinions about the Mets.

Like if you want to know about what is actually going on behind the scenes, the two people you absolutely will not bother reading are Ryan and Abbey.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
what do you think shero would say? “oh yeah, i almost fired his ***** ass a few times, our performance has sucked and his head is shaped like a monster, double sided *****”

if anyone asked him a ‘tough’ question, he would respond with a PR answer that you wouldn’t like anyway.

I have to admit though, I would like to see the reaction from Hynes if somebody asked him that in one of his post game pressers.

"Hey John, why do you still have a job?"

Reactions: MartyOwns

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
With Coleman playing well at center I'd like to see these lines when we inevitably lose and shuffle the shit out the deck...

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Zacha-Hughes-Simmonds
Gusev-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Coleman-Boqvist

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Chere had information about what was going on with the team that I couldn’t figure out just by watching the games. TG and even AG did too. Like they would be telling us if Hynes actually were on the hot seat and what actually was going on with Taylor Hall. Even if they were speculating, you could trust that their speculation was at least informed. Now one beat writer exchanges duck gifs with Todd Cordell and the other one spends half her time giving misinformed opinions about the Mets.

Like if you want to know about what is actually going on behind the scenes, the two people you absolutely will not bother reading are Ryan and Abbey.

To be fair, don't they also cover other sports? If the Devils are like the second or third priority for them, how connected to the day-to-day stuff are they really going to be? TG was also around long enough to where he developed connections, sources, etc. within the organization that he could get info from. How many of those do Chris or Abbey have?

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
With Coleman playing well at center I'd like to see these lines when we inevitably lose and shuffle the **** out the deck...

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Zacha-Hughes-Simmonds
Gusev-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Coleman-Boqvist
Mistake to underestimate Seney. He’s a diamond in the rough & the real deal. Gusev, Zajac and Seney will dominate.

Reactions: Billdo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zacha had a great start to the season and it’s no coincidence that his played dropped when Hynes started yo-yoing him around the lineup.
I think this is pretty fair.

He's played with all sorts of team mates, including guys who were struggling and in need of protection, and straight up grinders who produce little offense. He was being switched from Center to Wing, and then back again. Along the way he was producing pretty well and was also a part of some lines that were very effective that didn't score, like with Hughes and Simmonds, that lasted a game or two then was disbanded.

Now I think he is a moody guy, and that is not a strength, but it did seem Hynes was testing him as opposed to trying to build up his confidence.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zacha had a great start to the season and it’s no coincidence that his played dropped when Hynes started yo-yoing him around the lineup.

He's been yo-yoed around the lineup all season, so this is one explanation that doesn't hold water. He has points on goals involving 6 different forwards. He's played 20 minutes with 8 different forwards.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I have to admit though, I would like to see the reaction from Hynes if somebody asked him that in one of his post game pressers.

"Hey John, why do you still have a job?"

The only person I could see asking Hynes if he's worried about losing his job, is Larry Brooks.

Brooks enjoys being somewhat confrontational, he has job security, and he's probably about 3 minutes from retirement anyway, so his IDGAF pitcher's probably near full.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Despite playing the 9th most 5v5 minutes amongst fwds, Zacha has been on for 5 more goals against then any other Devil fwd.

His 5v5 -8 goal differential is also worst amongst fwds.

I'm not a big fan of him being scratched, but I can't say it hasn't been at least partly warranted.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I get the desire to have our beat reporters to ask tougher questions, but I also don't think it matters all that much.

"Hey Ray, is Hynes on the hot seat?"

Do you really expect him to say yes?
There are questions that can be asked that are professional in manner.

It doesn't have to be "why does our sucky coach still have a job?".

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Hello here, does y'all think that Gusev will play in the dirty third line tomorrow again or in the 4th line? It's pretty surprising he ain't getting the puck anymore to the net with all that talent.... mayne does that guy know how to skate or die and still shoot. Big props again from here to Lou Lamouriello's great organization that now is a bit searching of itself. But mayne does y'all have some players to do it...... So much hardness and big players too :clap: Hughes is still a baby and looks like a 14 year old but mayne does he have game already. He'll be aaaight soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad