Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

what a ****ing clown show

That's... a whole lot of nothing, there, John. He didn't say a god damn thing. An entire paragraph of hot air. This whole thing is so ****ing bizarre.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that our only "out" with Hynes is if Shero goes with him.

I'm also starting to really not care if that's the case.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
This is absolutely ridiculous.

And whoever is saying Zacha has been bad recently, there's players that have been much worse then him, especially this year. Truth is he never had a chance to develop constantly. Always on and off.

f*** Hynes, and f*** Shero for giving him the green light. We're becoming a sorry ass organization. When our players and coach act like we won the cup after beating the worst team in the league, it's pretty telling on the current culture.

It's now Year 5/6 for Shero and no one in their right mind would say that we have progressed. I don't care if our team looks better on paper, it doesn't mean shit at this point if there's no real progress in terms of results.

No accountability, no progress, that's the theme of our organization.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is absolutely ridiculous.

And whoever is saying Zacha has been bad recently, there's players that have been much worse then him, especially this year. Truth is he never had a chance to develop constantly. Always on and off.

**** Hynes, and **** Shero for giving him the green light. We're becoming a sorry ass organization. When our players and coach act like we won the cup after beating the worst team in the league, it's pretty telling on the current culture.

It's now Year 5/6 for Shero and no one in their right mind would say that we have progressed. I don't care if our team looks better on paper, it doesn't mean **** at this point if there's no real progress in terms of results.

No accountability, no progress, that's the theme of our organization.

Selective accountability. Bratt and Zacha sit. Some guys are guaranteed lineup spots. I think that is likely worse than no accountability.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's... a whole lot of nothing, there, John. He didn't say a god damn thing. An entire paragraph of hot air. This whole thing is so ****ing bizarre.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that our only "out" with Hynes is if Shero goes with him.

I'm also starting to really not care if that's the case.

I always have to start these sorts of things with the idea that Hynes should not be the coach beyond this season, and that if they have a suitable replacement he should be fired before Christmas, absent a big turnaround -

What are you expecting the coach to say in that situation? Give specifics? The coaching process - how and why practices are run a certain way, why players are or are not in the lineup - isn't something that's really divulged to the public, not in any real way. 'Zacha's not in' 'Why not?' '[He's not playing good enough]' - that's the basics of what you get. Normally it's said more circumspect like 'There's a few things we want him to work on, maybe get a different view of the game'. Likewise with this process. When the coach loses, everyone nitpicks every single word he says. What he's saying is always going to be nonsense whether or not the team is winning or losing.

Reactions: My3Sons

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I'd love one of our reporters to ask Shero if he has even considered firing the head coach at any point this season. Has it even been brought up?

But I bet not one reporter wants to ask the tough questions and ruin their sources and connections with the team.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I really think Fitz was there just to appease the natives by making it look like Shero was doing SOMETHING.

'Hey Tom - some of the fans have been @-ing the Devils Twitter account saying to fire the coach and they seem upset. Also they're booing at games sometimes. Instead of working at what seems like a full-time job being the GM of Binghamton and the AGM of this team, how about you take a break from that and spend mornings at practice and evenings on the bench at games? Don't worry, you won't be doing anything, this is just for the fans.'

The Devils might have a dumb thought process, but they didn't put Fitzgerald there to appease the fans. That is a pure message board theory.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
'Hey Tom - some of the fans have been @-ing the Devils Twitter account saying to fire the coach and they seem upset. Also they're booing at games sometimes. Instead of working at what seems like a full-time job being the GM of Binghamton and the AGM of this team, how about you take a break from that and spend mornings at practice and evenings on the bench at games? Don't worry, you won't be doing anything, this is just for the fans.'

The Devils might have a dumb thought process, but they didn't put Fitzgerald there to appease the fans. That is a pure message board theory.

It's suspicious timing though, at the very least. He puts Fitz behind the bench when the speculation about a coaching change is white hot after six games, almost everyone here thought at least Hynes is on notice now but clearly that wasn't the case. Sure results have improved a little but the actual quality of play really hasn't gone up that much, it's just Blackwood's given them better goaltending since that point than either guy gave the team during the first six games.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's suspicious timing though, at the very least. He puts Fitz behind the bench when the speculation about a coaching change is white hot after six games, almost everyone here thought at least Hynes is on notice now but clearly that wasn't the case. Sure results have improved a little but the actual quality of play really hasn't gone up that much.

The story the Devils have given is that Hynes, not Shero, asked Fitzgerald to assist him behind the bench. Now whether this is true or not, I have no idea - everyone here assumed it's not, but I could see scenarios where it is true.

I don't see any decrease in fan ire towards Hynes. In fact I see more, regardless of whether or not the team wins. In addition, I don't think that Fitzgerald leaving the bench is an endorsement of Hynes pe se - just that he's offered what he could and doesn't see much use in continuing.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Zacha has been pretty lousy the last few weeks, especially considering the start he had. That said, Hynes can go f*** off with scratching him while a numbskull like Wood is immune to a night off. I’ve never disliked a coach as much as I do Hynes.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I'd love one of our reporters to ask Shero if he has even considered firing the head coach at any point this season. Has it even been brought up?

But I bet not one reporter wants to ask the tough questions and ruin their sources and connections with the team.

I have never and will understand this line of thinking. “Our reporters don’t ask the tough questions!!” Everyone knows this team is a dumpster fire. What does Hynes or Shero saying: “we suck” accomplish?

Even worse are the Twitter keyboard warriors commenting this on our beat writers posts and eventually turning into personal shots. I just really don’t understand it.

Reactions: Billdo

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
This is far past ridiculous. Wood can make numerous terrible plays and take bad penalties and has never seen a slight cut to his playtime. John Hayden and his career 23 points in 123 games will bring us to salvation. This team is developing a losing culture

It's not only developing a losing culture, it's also ruining the development of our young core players which will affect us down the line.

- I love the intensity Wood brings, but he's a really dumb player and his skills & IQ are very limited.
- John Hayden is trash so it's not even worth arguing
- Palms has sucked really bad, him being the leading scorer doesn't change that. He constantly gets top line minutes and he can't do much other then shoot and/or try to go for a wrap around when he's in a prime scoring area. He's also a massive puck hog with limited IQ.
- Subban hasn't been very good or good at all to say the least
- Severson other then his stretch where he was playing amazing has been trash

My point? Lots of players have been underperforming but Zacha & Bratt somehow always end up sitting, especially Zacha. I understand that some of them are veterans and we don't have other options (i.e Subban), but there's a massive lack of accountability within the organization.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I always have to start these sorts of things with the idea that Hynes should not be the coach beyond this season, and that if they have a suitable replacement he should be fired before Christmas, absent a big turnaround -

What are you expecting the coach to say in that situation? Give specifics? The coaching process - how and why practices are run a certain way, why players are or are not in the lineup - isn't something that's really divulged to the public, not in any real way. 'Zacha's not in' 'Why not?' '[He's not playing good enough]' - that's the basics of what you get. Normally it's said more circumspect like 'There's a few things we want him to work on, maybe get a different view of the game'. Likewise with this process. When the coach loses, everyone nitpicks every single word he says. What he's saying is always going to be nonsense whether or not the team is winning or losing.

Has Bellichick ever said anything meaningful to the media? Sean Payton rarely does.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
upload_2019-11-25_16-41-32.png

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I have never and will understand this line of thinking. “Our reporters don’t ask the tough questions!!” Everyone knows this team is a dumpster fire. What does Hynes or Shero saying: “we suck” accomplish?

Even worse are the Twitter keyboard warriors commenting this on our beat writers posts and eventually turning into personal shots. I just really don’t understand it.

I mean, why is it that beat reporters in other places are able to ask some tough questions?

it would be nice for them to have to have SOME accountability. There is none. It isn't a good look.

NJDevs86

Nov 4, 2018
Orlando, Florida
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt was our best line in the time it was together and this absolute clown ripped them apart immediately. Can’t let these soft skilled players do well together. Get me Seney, Hayden, Wood and Rooney!!

It should be common sense to go with:

Hall-Hughes-Palmeri
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Coleman-Zajac-Gusev
Boqvist/Wood-Rooney-Simmonds

You flip Boqvist up to LW 2 and Zacha to 4C when Rooney is out now. And you let them play and develop. Stop shuffling cards non stop. The season is over due to the incompetence of the staff already anyways.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt was our best line in the time it was together and this absolute clown ripped them apart immediately. Can’t let these soft skilled players do well together. Get me Seney, Hayden, Wood and Rooney!!

It should be common sense to go with:

Hall-Hughes-Palmeri
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Coleman-Zajac-Gusev
Boqvist/Wood-Rooney-Simmonds

You flip Boqvist up to LW 2 and Zacha to 4C when Rooney is out now. And you let them play and develop. Stop shuffling cards non stop. The season is over due to the incompetence of the staff already anyways.

Isn’t it odd that he stifles the success of the young players he is benching? It’s as if they have to play like physical grinders to see the ice when the short sample size of Zacha Nico Bratt seemed to look really good. I don’t understand how he thinks they are better served sitting or playing Where they are not put in position to succeed but I see I’m not alone in that regard.

Reactions: glenwo2

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I mean, why is it that beat reporters in other places are able to ask some tough questions?

it would be nice for them to have to have SOME accountability. There is none. It isn't a good look.

Is it just to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? Because that’s all it would accomplish.

We had a hack like Chere stirring the pot for years and no one liked him or really had much respect for his work. If you really need TMZ type content, I guess to each their own.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Sure, but doesn't that lie more with the papers that actually employ our beat writers?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Is it just to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? Because that’s all it would accomplish.

We had a hack like Chere stirring the pot for years and no one liked him or really had much respect for his work. If you really need TMZ type content, I guess to each their own.

not really sure how asking some hard questions about what the plan is, or why Hynes is still employed is equal to "TMZ type content"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad