Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Which is about how long it takes him to get his shot off.:sarcasm:

And I say that as a fan who likes Severson, but he's really just not good on the PP. Which is weird given he's more of an offensive defenseman. But then some goal scorers suck at shootouts too, so I guess that's hockey for you.

The reason Severson is terrible on the powerplay isnt because he lacks some offensive skill, it's because he's a selfish player. Takes too many terrible shots for himself when he should be making the simple pass to a forward, and those terrible shots end the PP offensive zone possession.

Hynes should have realized this eons ago, but, Hynes.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Why does everyone always say "I like their coaches" without ever saying why or what they do well.

The media nowadays is such hot garbage, they just parrot everything and don't question or formulate their own opinions.

Reactions: longislanddevil

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The reason Severson is terrible on the powerplay isnt because he lacks some offensive skill, it's because he's a selfish player. Takes too many terrible shots for himself when he should be making the simple pass to a forward, and those terrible shots end the PP offensive zone possession.

I don't think it's because he is selfish, I think it is because his skill set is more compatible with transition offense then it is to the PP.

Reactions: Azathoth

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Or the construction of the roster, but he certainly said there appears to be a disconnect between personnel and style of play.

that’s coaching. The coaches job is to construct a system around the personnel. Coaches who have “their” system that they must play regardless of personnel are by and large bad coaches.

This isn’t a talent depleted roster so the big issue is coaching.

Reactions: longislanddevil

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
that’s coaching. The coaches job is to construct a system around the personnel. Coaches who have “their” system that they must play regardless of personnel are by and large bad coaches.

And I actually think Hynes tried to clamp it down super tight after the first two games. So he did make adjustments, but they were even more contrary to the personnel.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't think it's because he is selfish, I think it is because his skill set is more compatible with transition offense then it is to the PP.

This is definitely true also, but IMO there's just no doubt many nice powerplay efforts die with Severson's selfish shot-taking way too often.

The next powerplay point Severson scores will be his first of the season!

That's completely mind-boggling given how much PP time he gets.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
And I actually think Hynes tried to clamp it down super tight after the first two games. So he did make adjustments, but they were even more contrary to the personnel.

playing the same system, but more conservatively isn’t an adjustment

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This is definitely true also, but IMO there's just no doubt many nice powerplay efforts die with Severson's selfish shot-taking way too often.

The next powerplay point Severson scores will be his first of the season!

That's completely mind-boggling given how much PP time he gets.

The second unit hasn't scored a PP goal all season. I doubt it's just Severson responsible for that.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

...especially after being told that "lack of talent" was the paramount reason for past underwhelming results.

Infusion of talent... same results? It doesn't follow.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

We're on the same page here, but I don't think the reason is that Severson is a "selfish player." I think he's merely playing his game, and those mistakes (possession-killing shots, telegraphed passes, etc.) are either overlooked or "not coached out of him" by the staff.

Same goes for Subban - I don't think he's a "stupid player," necessarily, but you wouldn't know that watching his highlight reel of horrendous, goal-costing pinches this year. I think it's a function of the staff not working with him to mitigate these errors; frighteningly, I wouldn't be shocked if he's being told to be over-aggressive, because "fast attacking supportive."

We have the personnel; we just don't have a coaching staff that knows how to maximize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad