Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think the coaching staff basically tells the defense "be hyper aggressive and pinch all the time, except when you shouldn't, and don't make any mistakes. Now get out there!" and the players are afraid to both make a mistake and be aggressive. Then they get stuck between playing aggressive and passive. They don't know when to do what and feel simultaneously afraid not to pinch and afraid not to pinch.

Last edited:

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
I miss the old days when the press had some semblance of balls and you'd see articles by Chere etc. quoting unnamed players blasting coaches or teammates when things got tough. I'd like to hear the real feelings about what's going on here. As much as Lou never said anything, you'd at least get him to talk quite often. Where the hell is Shero? Has anyone requested an interview with him lately? How about someone reaching out to the owners and seeing what they think about all this?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Same goes for Subban - I don't think he's a "stupid player," necessarily, but you wouldn't know that watching his highlight reel of horrendous, goal-costing pinches this year. I think it's a function of the staff not working with him to mitigate these errors; frighteningly, I wouldn't be shocked if he's being told to be over-aggressive, because "fast attacking supportive."

We have the personnel; we just don't have a coaching staff that knows how to maximize it.

They are. All the Dmen have the green light all game long; intentionally.

Even guys like Mirco Mueller, Ben Lovejoy, Andy Greene, Eric Gryba, etc... are REQUIRED to aggressively join the offense.

Beyond being a total misuse of personnel, the entire system is risky & moronic.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think it's required so much as it's encouraged. The problem with Mueller is he's one step up from Wood on the hockey IQ scale and has no clue what to do with the puck in any zone.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
This is like a mirror image of last season but we have more talent and worse goaltending at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a firesale, injuries start to pile up and the AHL players are showcased again.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
correct, very rarely is 15 games enough of a sample size. you may not like it, but it’s true. especially if you bring context into the situation. what were our goalies’ stats 15 games in?

good GM’s aren’t panicky idiots. they’re going to do a process of elimination- bring fitz behind the bench, send our **** goalie to ****land- the next move i’d predict is bringing some guys up from binghamton to try and jump start the offense. if wins don’t come even after all of those moves, i’m sure coaching will be changed too. but it’s a process, it takes time

We’re at game twenty, Shero is past the point of doing the call ups from the minors. The season is essentially lost because he moved too and is still moving ****ing slow.

called it. good news- by my count, the train should be pulling into fire hynes station in a week or so

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
called it. good news- by my count, the train should be pulling into fire hynes station in a week or so
I love throwing a season away because our GM is an idiot and loves at a snails pace because he’d rather fling shit at the wall than see his failson is a pile of shit nhl head coach that belongs in the minors.

like I said, the team is past the point of calling up minor leaguers. That should’ve been done a while ago.

we’re not making the playoffs this year and Shero should be fired for this mess

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well some guys doesn't equal one guy...we don't even know if Seney's going to play or get a real shot yet a la Colton White when they jerked him up and down for no reason.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I love throwing a season away because our GM is an idiot and loves at a snails pace because he’d rather fling **** at the wall than see his failson is a pile of **** nhl head coach that belongs in the minors.

like I said, the team is past the point of calling up minor leaguers. That should’ve been done a while ago.

Why stop there? Let's fire the owners, trainers, ticket reps, janitors, etc. They're all responsible!

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They are. All the Dmen have the green light all game long; intentionally.

Even guys like Mirco Mueller, Ben Lovejoy, Andy Greene, Eric Gryba, etc... are REQUIRED to aggressively join the offense.

Beyond being a total misuse of personnel, the entire system is risky & moronic.

Yup. I remember a play last night where Vats gets the puck in our zone and Mueller immediately sprinted to neutral ice, leaving the puck carrier as the last man back. Fundamentally bad hockey, and for what? Mueller was gonna score???

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yup. I remember a play last night where Vats gets the puck in our zone and Mueller immediately sprinted to neutral ice, leaving the puck carrier as the last man back. Fundamentally bad hockey, and for what? Mueller was gonna score???

It's so basic that it makes me angry. And the fact that this is taking place as a "system" in the highest league of the planet astounds me.

And why hockey media / experts arent pointing this out is flabbergasting to me, because it is THAT obvious.

My guess is, it too, is about "access", and only once John Hynes is out of the NHL (i.e. fired) will the "experts" be honest in a negative way about what they think of Hynes' system.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well I hope this stupid desperation lineup is the sign that Hynes is on his last rope at least.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I love throwing a season away because our GM is an idiot and loves at a snails pace because he’d rather fling **** at the wall than see his failson is a pile of **** nhl head coach that belongs in the minors.

so by that logic, the owners are now at fault for not firing shero. it’s the owners’ fault that’s it’s shero’s fault because it’s all hynes’ fault. how high up does this conspiracy go?

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
so by that logic, the owners are now at fault for not firing shero. it’s the owners’ fault that’s it’s shero’s fault because it’s all hynes’ fault. how high up does this conspiracy go?
Certainly their fault if they’re okay with this shit fest

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Certainly their fault if they’re okay with this **** fest

you want shero running this team like a kindergartener having a temper tantrum, i’d prefer he methodically evaluate the team in a process to identify the root cause of the problem. measure twice, cut once

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
you want shero running this team like a kindergartener having a temper tantrum, i’d prefer he methodically evaluate the team in a process to identify the root cause of the problem. measure twice, cut once

this is accurate.. but he should move on from hynes.. that has been measured three times. the next move would be to methodically look for a taylor hall taker. then decide if its time to move on from greene, zajac, zacha etc. those types that can fetch without total disruption this whatever we are calling it aint working.. but i agree.. shero has to use what time is on his side.. and right now what i keep saying is thank god he didn't jump to sign taylor hall..

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Wait, there's more to managing a franchise than "I don't like it, get it away from me!"?

Reactions: MartyOwns

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
this is accurate.. but he should move on from hynes.. that has been measured three times. the next move would be to methodically look for a taylor hall taker. then decide if its time to move on from greene, zajac, zacha etc. those types that can fetch without total disruption this whatever we are calling it aint working.. but i agree.. shero has to use what time is on his side.. and right now what i keep saying is thank god he didn't jump to sign taylor hall..

agreed, i think we’re almost there

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Has anybody ever thought Brett Seney kind of looks like the Turkey Vulture from Bugs Bunny?

th

Capture1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->