Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - In limbo version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Totally forgot about Brad Mills. :laugh:

I liked NaPalm, but he just fell out of favor after being hitched to the Kovy-Zajac wagon in 2011. Never came close to being anywhere as productive under DeBoer.
I loved me some Ryan Carter. I always wished when they made the decisions to keep Gionta and Bernier they'd have just kept Carter.

Tedenby will always have a soft spot in my heart as well.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
No, right handed, it was Nick Palmieri

Wasn't Bernier, the fourth line during that game was Janssen-Mills-Tedenby, third line was Palmieri-Carter-Clarkson. It was Nick Palmieri.
Upon further review, it was palmieri, yeesh now compare that lineup to the one they iced vs the Kings in the cup finals

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Can we have one of those threads where we name random obscure Devils? I love those.

Matt Anderson
Vlastmil Kroupa
Valeri Kamensky
Olivier Magnan-Grenier
Harri Pesonen

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Can we have one of those threads where we name random obscure Devils? I love those.

Matt Anderson
Vlastmil Kroupa
Valeri Kamensky
Olivier Magnan-Grenier
Harri Pesonen
I'd love this. I'll start... Tedenby, OMG, Napalm, Dean McAmmond, Taormina, Zharkov, Salmela, Eckford

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I loved me some Ryan Carter. I always wished when they made the decisions to keep Gionta and Bernier they'd have just kept Carter.

Tedenby will always have a soft spot in my heart as well.

I think everyone on this board grew a soft spot for Carter, myself included for sure. He was beyond clutch for us in the latter part of the 2012 run. Scored the game tying goal in game 2 of the ECF, game winner in game 5 and the opening goal in game 6, then the game tying goal in game 2 of the SCF.

Hard not to love him! Fun fact I bought a fake jersey from China in 2013 and got Carter’s name and number on it. :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
NHL Network is also showing 552 at 9:30 tomorrow night.

You made a VHS recording in 2009?

I don't think I had DVR until early 2007. I remember unsuccessfully fumbling with my roommate's VCR trying to record the 2006 Draft. Those were the days.

Aside from DirecTV, NHL Network wasn't an option for my area until like 2011. I had to trek to one of our few hockey bars in San Diego to watch #552 since NHL Network picked it up and thus was blacked out on Center Ice. Fun evening though since it was also an Irish pub on St. Patrick's Day. I must've ditched work early to get down there in time for the end of the 3rd.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Steve Guolla and Ray Giroux are some good ones from the 02-03 team. I believe both played games that year, but neither of them got a playoff game (I’m pretty sure they didn’t) or got their name on the cup.

Joel Bouchard and his one game played (and he got an assist in it) in 01-02 was another good one. He played 364 NHL games, so he wasn’t super obscure, but only one was with the NHL Devils.

Josef Boumedienne and his 1 game as a Devil in 01-02, where he actually scored a goal on opening night.

And while we’re stuck in 01-02, how Andreas “Alex Mogilny’s replacement” Salomonsson? The 28 year old rookie and 5th round (I think it was?) draft pick from just that year.

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Matt Anderson
Vlastmil Kroupa
Valeri Kamensky
Olivier Magnan-Grenier
Harri Pesonen
Dagostini,butler,barch,kostonopolous(didn’t be score a penalty shot goal),olesz

f*** some of those teams were bad

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What about short term Devil players whose name have a good mouth feel to them?

Pierre Dagenais
Walt Poddubny
Paul Ysebaert

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Bruce Gardiner I remember playing for us randomly. That's one of the few weird ones off the top of my head that hasn't been named.

I was there in DC for Petr Vrana's only NHL goal :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was at a Devils@Ducks game circa 2006. Players are heading back to locker room after warmups and I camped out a spot by the benches. Each player comes by and the handful of us give the usual "Let's go _____" pleasantries.

Devils had a D Alex Brooks who played 19 games for us that year. He walks back and I yell out "Let's go Alex" and he gave me this weird look that was like equal parts "Hey, he knows my name" and "Wait, do I know you?"

I was bored and was rewatching the 1995 Draft and looking up old articles. That draft was in Edmonton and the crowd was chanting for Shane Doan before their pick, loud enough for the TSN crew to notice it. Oilers pick Steve Kelly which wasn't a stretch at the time. It was kinda amazing to see how quickly his trade value diminished:

1995: Drafted 6th overall
1997: Traded with Bryan Marchment and former 4th overall pick Jason Bonsignore to Tampa for Roman Hamrlik. Oilers cashed out when he still had some 'new prospect smell' to him.
1999: Traded to New Jersey for a 7th rounder

But at least Kelly got on the Cup in 2000.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nicest first goal in the history of the NHL.
I remember it being a weird one on Carey Price. It might have been a weird pop fly or something, almost like the goal on Domingue in Hynes final games.

Or maybe Price accidentally knocked it into his own net. I remember it was a weird one.

Pikkawhateverhisnameis was famously billed as a ''Mystery player'' or ''Mystery signing'' by Lou a day or two before the signing was announced.

It was such a bummer, as I think many were probably expecting someone bigger.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does Sergey Kalinin qualify yet?

Or does he not, due to his overusage and at one time first line status?

I'm figuring Jordin Tootoo also wouldn't qualify as an ''Obscure Devil'' for similar reasons.

Although, I'm sure one day long from now both of those players could fall under obscure Devils, but since both also played with the team for more than one year, they probably wouldn't.

I think the only ''Obscure'' Devils that played here more than one season would be the guys that never played a full season and played so many games over multiple seasons. Like Christian Berglund, Pierre Dagenais, Jiri Bicek, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad